Friday Night - Session 4

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
i went to sesson 3 today. are you telling me I was pumped after that for nothing? I went drinking after that and am just logging on now at 1am. what happened? we were in prime position to take the team crown...

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
The ability to impart the sense of urgency that Cael is talking about above to the team is what separates great coaches from good coaches. This is not a trivial task. That's why they are lots of good coaches, but very few great coaches.

In my opinion, Cael is a smart guy who knows what it takes to win. He has been blessed with talent these past few years and I feel this is the first year where he has had real trials to go through to make the team wrestle above its level/to its potential.

Next year is going to be a very good indicator about his coaching meddle with the senior laden team we will have. I have no doubt that he will accomplish great things after learning the lessons that this year served.

That is all I have to say on the subject.

LukePlansky

Nov 29, 2007
Ames
Towards the bottom of my story, I explain the potential points scoring potential of each team, and the matchups for Ohio State, Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska are listed: NCAA WRESTLING TOURNAMENT: Slim chance exists for Cyclones to win NCAA title

Excuse a couple small typos in the story, I wrote it on deadline. There is one minor mistake this quote, which I fixed underneath:

“If you play the game, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose,” Sanderson said. “There is an attitude that wins, there’s a discipline that you have to have to follow your gameplan, and do what you do. We know what works and what doesn’t work.

“If you play the edge, you’re going to fall off, you know --- every once in a while. I mean, there’s no surprises. You’ve got to take ‘em. You’ve gotta take those opportunities. How many opportunities do you get?”

[I cant fix mistakes on our website -- dont have the admin password]

I can tell you that Cael was angry and frustrated after the session. He said a couple interesting things off the record that I can't share. But this quote sums up his view of Thursday's action:

“I don’t know how many opportunites got nearly handed to us -- you know, on a plate nearly handed to us,” Sanderson said. “and we didn’t take ‘em.”

Here is a short recap of each of the matches, which was meant to be posted alongside the story [the Daily doesn't have a blog system, otherwise I would have provided updates throughout the tournament... Zabriskie's tournament has been unreal... he came out on the losing side of it last night, though...]

165 pounds –No. 12 Jarrod King (Edinboro) dec. No. 8 Jon Reader (ISU) 7-6 (TB2).
King escaped in three seconds during the first tiebreakers of overtime, while Reader escaped near the end of the period. Reader held down King for 15 seconds during the second set of tiebreakers, but couldn’t escape in time to overcome his riding disadvantage, which was 11 seconds when time expired.
Both King and Reader got to each other’s legs during regulation and overtime, but each wrestler struggled to finish takedowns.
Up Next: Bucknell’s jr. Andrew Rendos (32-7), who beat Boise State’s Tyler Sherfey, 11-2.
197 pounds – No. 2 Jake Varner (ISU) dec. No. 6 Max Askren (Missouri), 8-3
Varner applied pressure throughout the whole match to earn another title chance. He scored takedowns in each period and elected to ride and attempt to turn Askren with a 7-1 lead. Askren reversed Varner to effectively end Varner’s opportunity for a major decision.
Up Next: Nebraska’s No. 1 jr. Craig Brester (34-3), who beat Michigan’s No. 4 Tyrel Todd, 7-2.

Heavyweight – No. 5 Konrad Dudziak (Duke) dec. No. 1 David Zabriskie (ISU), 3-2
Zabriskie, who is accustomed to close matches, gave up a takedown with 1:20 left in the third period.
Up Next: Iowa’s No. 7 jr. Daniel Erekson (26-7), who won by def. over Zach Sheaffer of Pittsburgh.

Consolations
141 pounds – Nick Gallick (ISU) dec. Christopher Diaz (Virginia Tech), 6-1
Gallick controlled the match, scoring takedowns in the first and second period and riding for 2:39.
141 pounds – Nick Gallick (ISU) dec. Kellen Russell (Michigan), 3-2
Gallick rode Rusell out in the second period and escaped quickly in the third period. When he broke Russell’s grasp, he jogged away with his back turned. Russell charged him and took him down, and Gallick escaped with 1:02 of riding time left. Gallick effectively neutralized Russell’s offense in the final minute, landing two shots that ended in stalemates.
Up Next: Maryland’s jr. Alex Krom (24-5), who lost in the semifinals to No. 8 Ryan Williams of Old Dominion, 4-1.
149 pounds – Mitch Mueller (ISU) vs. Jake Patascil (Purdue), 9-2
Mueller landed a shot early, but Patascil used his length to reverse the advantage, scoring a takedown and a nearfall. Patascil picked the top position in the second period and rode Mueller out.
157 pounds – Cyler Sanderson (ISU) vs. No. 7 Matt Moley (Bloomburg), 3-2
Moley hit a deep, single-leg shot and finished with just over 40 seconds remaining in the match. Sanderson escaped with 33 seconds to go, but was unable to score. Sanderson beat Moley for seventh place in 2008.

Reactions: Melvin
Nov 9, 2008
this has been a weird tourney for us both(Iowa and ISU). The very real chance that we have to win this thing still is almost ridiculous. Had either team shown up and performed reasonably well the team race would be blown away with an easy win

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Did Iowa lose anyone from their domimant team last year?

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
Did Iowa lose anyone from their domimant team last year?

Just 3 guy's that finished 1st, 2nd, and 5th. Perry was the national champ, Slaton was the runnerup who will be back next year at probably 141 and Fields was 5th at 285.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I havent gone back and read a few posts though I have read most. I didnt realize that Gallick beat the 1 seed to advance. That is huge in my book and should be a good omen for the rest of the meet and next year. The wrestling tournies are all about who is hot at the time. We had some disappointments but I think if you look back at it we had some guys wrestle against higher seeds and win. I am as frustrated as the next guy but have watched enough matches to know that even wrestling your best against any opponent sometimes isnt enough. It doesnt mean you didnt try your hardest or wrestle your best, it means you got beat by a guy who wrestled better for that match. Z wrestled the same match he has wrestled all year. He just ran out of time. He isnt big enough to throw guys around and wrestles smart and looks for opportunities. I hope he gets third along with Reader and Gallick. I am proud of the team and proud to be a Cyclone. I will put the cardinal and gold glasses on today and think we can be perfect. I hope the rest of you do to.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
One other point to all of you complaining about the BXII results. Nebbies showing in the Championship legitimizes their run at the BXII. They are right behind us and have had a good tourney. Sure we were favored in the conference but nebbie is hot right now and wrestling well. Timing has a ton to due with results and nebbie is making the most with what they have.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Towards the bottom of my story, I explain the potential points scoring potential of each team, and the matchups for Ohio State, Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska are listed: NCAA WRESTLING TOURNAMENT: Slim chance exists for Cyclones to win NCAA title

Geez, Iowa gets another 3 free points!

"Iowa’s Daniel Dennis (133) would wrestle a match for seventh, but his opponent, Joe Baker of Navy, medically forfeited – giving the Hawkeyes two points for a forfeit and one for placement."

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Thankyou LukePlansky for the Scoring info.

How is the Scoring Calculated, tell me if I'm wrong?

Advancement in Champions Rounds
Champion Round 1 - 2 pts
Champ round 2 - 2 pts
Champ round 3 - 3 pts
Champ round 4 - 7 pts (so if you make the Finals you would earn your team
14 pts, not counting the Dec or Pin points)
Champ round 5 - 4 pts

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I'm proud of our guys for the work they put in, and for putting themselves in position to win these things...and I realize nobody is more disappointed than the wrestlers and coaches...but it just frustrates the heck out of me that they can't finish when the prize is there for us to take! I've never placed the blame anywhere...I don't know if it's the Coach's fault, or the wrestler's fault, or just bad luck that we can't come through when we're close to winning big...

But it still disappoints me greatly...and I'm going to defend my thoughts when people call me irrational for them, or try to make things up (a couple posters trying to claim I've been blasting Cael).

I am right there with you. I think part of the problem right now for Cyclone fans is that our football program and our basketball program both stink right now. Call me crazy but I think alot of Iowa State fans who aren't necessarily that big into following ISU wrestling have turned their attention to the program as their last hope for a winner. Thus the disappointment is just another kick to the junk for fans that have already been kicked far more then what should ever be allowed. It's ok to be disappointed in our failure to seize an opportunity. We also have to be realistic in the fact that when competing to bring home a National Championship there is a razor sharp fine line between winning it all or just finishing top 3. It is a great accomplishment to finish top 3 and it would show that our guys competed to the best of their ability. To win it all though you have dig a little bit deeper and find a way to perform at a level higher then what they knew they could. All hope isn't lost yet to bring home the title as stranger things have happened. The chances are slim but I think that having a chance is all we can ask for. Let's just hope that Zabriskie takes out the Iowa heavyweight in the consolation and that Reader can win so he can get a possible matchup with Morningstar for 3rd place. Tonight will give us Cyclone fans another opportunity that we always love and that is to cheer for the Cyclones and to cheer our butts off against the Big 10.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Your looking to wrestling for a winner, at least if you are looking for a male winner. Last I looked we have pretty good VB and WBB teams.

I follow most ISU sports. That includes the woman's sports as well. I was just saying that there are probably quite a few ISU fans who wouldn't normally follow wrestling that have started to because they were solid this year and in the mix to win a National Title. With all of the suffering that our football team and men's basketball team have brought on them could you really blame them?