Friday Night - Session 4

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Say North Carolina basketball didn't win the ACC or the ACC Tournament this year...and lost to Duke both games...and then went on to lose in the Sweet 16...should they have been excited about getting to the Sweet 16?
I would say so, but I've only watched 35 minutes of basketball all year.

EDIT: I ask how much wrestling many people watch to actually understand what happened today, just as you are about MBB.

Last edited:

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I would say so, but I've only watched 35 minutes of basketball all year.

I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't see too many UNC fans celebrating a Sweet 16 appearance after returning everyone from a final four team...

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
How the heck is Iowa still in this and close, when they suffered all of the damage they did today? Their fans are even surprised, I think the scoring is screwed up. According to the math all of Ohio State's championship guys could all win and Iowa could still beat them. I think Iowa's total should be in the 70s and not 81.

No for Iowa to win this they need 2 of their 4 in the consolation to get 3rd, Metcalf to win the title and only 1 of the 3 OSU guys to win a title.

I do think Jaggers is the only guy to win tomorrow night for OSU, and Metcalf will win, so now can Iowa get a couple of third places. Erekson has Zabriske and Morningstar has Fay of UNI right away tomorrow morning.

When I saw this on the Hawkeye site I was speechless.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I know more about basketball than wrestling clearly, but I know enough about wrestling to offer an educated opinion...and I also know that our wrestling team has had GREAT opportunities to win the Midlands, the Big 12 meet outright, and to at least be in the hunt for a National Title right now...and they have faltered late in all of them.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't see too many UNC fans celebrating a Sweet 16 appearance after returning everyone from a final four team...
as I would be willing to bet that you would be hard pressed to find a wrestling fan saying we're in poor shape after winning our 3rd straight conference tourney (never done before) and likely in the top 3 or 4 in the NCAA's.

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I know more about basketball than wrestling clearly, but I know enough about wrestling to offer an educated opinion...and I also know that our wrestling team has had GREAT opportunities to win the Midlands, the Big 12 meet outright, and to at least be in the hunt for a National Title right now...and they have faltered late in all of them.
We have done what was expected at least in all of them. I would argue that we did better in the midlands than what was expected until the semi/final rounds.

We expected to win the B12s (did), finish top 3 NCAAs (likely), and finish just behind Iowa at the Midlands (did).

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
When your far and away the best team in the Big 12...you should win it...it's still a good accomplishment, but it's something that should be expected (outright too, not a co-championship).

I don't understand how anyone can not understand people being frustrated by us not being in contention right now...we HAVE THE TALENT to be in contention, and if we would've won more than one out of the three matches we were favored in we would at least have an outside shot for a title.

It's like every single time it's on the line for this team to accomplish something great, we bring in Shaggy to kick a 30yard field goal for the Big 12 North Title.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We have done what was expected at least in all of them. I would argue that we did better in the midlands than what was expected until the semi/final rounds.

We expected to win the B12s (did), finish top 3 NCAAs (likely), and finish just behind Iowa at the Midlands (did).

So you didn't think it was a collapse when we went 0-5 in the Midland finals? You didn't think it was a collapse when we went 2-5 in the Big 12 finals with 4 favorites, and finished co-champs? You didn't think it was a collapse tonight having three favored wrestlers go 1-2? Maybe our guys have just been too happy with meeting expectations to exceed them...

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
So you didn't think it was a collapse when we went 0-5 in the Midland finals? You didn't think it was a collapse when we went 2-5 in the Big 12 finals with 4 favorites, and finished co-champs? You didn't think it was a collapse tonight having three favored wrestlers go 1-2? Maybe our guys have just been too happy with meeting expectations to exceed them...

let it go... AND use the thread you started to ***** about Cael.

IIRC: he is 3-0 for Big12 Championships.

gawd.....

-keep

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
let it go... AND use the thread you started to ***** about Cael.

IIRC: he is 3-0 for Big12 Championships.

gawd.....

-keep

I LITERALLY have not said one word about Cael, or blamed one thing on coaching...must be nice to just be able to make up stuff to support your argument.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Cael's take on today:

“This is not part of the plan,â€￾ Sanderson said. “Wrestling is truly about taking advantage of opportunities and we just didn’t do that today. I’m disappointed."

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
When your far and away the best team in the Big 12...you should win it...it's still a good accomplishment, but it's something that should be expected (outright too, not a co-championship).

I don't understand how anyone can not understand people being frustrated by us not being in contention right now...we HAVE THE TALENT to be in contention, and if we would've won more than one out of the three matches we were favored in we would at least have an outside shot for a title.

It's like every single time it's on the line for this team to accomplish something great, we bring in Shaggy to kick a 30yard field goal for the Big 12 North Title.

I'm sure the whole team got together this weekend and said......

Hey, I got a idea....? Lets take third that will **** off Clone_12.....:skeptical:

They have worked their tail ends off this year they deserve your respect and acknowledgment. Nobody is more disappointed more than the competitors themselves, they tried their best and will continue tomorrow to do so.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Cael's take on today:

“This is not part of the plan,â€￾ Sanderson said. “Wrestling is truly about taking advantage of opportunities and we just didn’t do that today. I’m disappointed."

Sorry guys...Coach isn't jumping for joy about our possible third place finish...he shares my view.:wink:

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm sure the whole team got together this weekend and said......

Hey, I got a idea....? Lets take third that will **** off Clone_12.....:skeptical:

They have worked their tail ins off this year they deserve your respect and acknowledgment. Nobody is more disappointed more than the competitors themselves, they tried their best and will continue tomorrow to do so.

I'm sure they are disappointed...is it ok for me to be disappointed?

Should I have been celebrating the Co-Big 12 North Championship when Shaggy missed a thirty yard chip shot to win it outright?

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
I'm sure they are disappointed...is it ok for me to be disappointed?

Should I have been celebrating the Co-Big 12 North Championship when Shaggy missed a thirty yard chip shot to win it outright?

Sorry, guess you will just have to wait some more, till you can drive around town with a ISU #1 National Championship Flag out your car window....:wink:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I said nothing about collapses that we did not have. I said we performed to where we were expected to.

Winning the Midlands would have been a boost, but it would have meant nothing as well. You can say we "peed away" the B12s, and I can argue that we "overcame deficits, and earned first place."

Again, it's all in the wording, and we've worked to our expectations or better.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
The guy I'm most disappointed for is Fanthorp. Tough matchups.

The guy I'm most disappointed in is Cyler. No way he shouldn't be an AA this year. And he seemed like the most aggressive earlier this year.

The good part is they will all be back next year! Actually, just looking at the roster and Ricky Lundell is the only senior on the whole team!

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Sorry, guess you will just have to wait some more, till you can drive around town with a ISU #1 National Championship Flag out your car window....:wink:

I can assure you, I've seen that day in my dreams.:wink:

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I said nothing about collapses that we did not have. I said we performed to where we were expected to.

Winning the Midlands would have been a boost, but it would have meant nothing as well. You can say we "peed away" the B12s, and I can argue that we "overcame deficits, and earned first place."

Again, it's all in the wording, and we've worked to our expectations or better.

I'm proud of our guys for the work they put in, and for putting themselves in position to win these things...and I realize nobody is more disappointed than the wrestlers and coaches...but it just frustrates the heck out of me that they can't finish when the prize is there for us to take! I've never placed the blame anywhere...I don't know if it's the Coach's fault, or the wrestler's fault, or just bad luck that we can't come through when we're close to winning big...

But it still disappoints me greatly...and I'm going to defend my thoughts when people call me irrational for them, or try to make things up (a couple posters trying to claim I've been blasting Cael).

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Cael's take on today:

The ability to impart the sense of urgency that Cael is talking about above to the team is what separates great coaches from good coaches. This is not a trivial task. That's why they are lots of good coaches, but very few great coaches.