Future Big 12 FB Opponents/Schedule Announced

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Yes. We seem to release the conference schedule like a few months before every time while the other conferences will release the next 7 years or whatever. We are 1000% the worst at this for whatever reason.
I know the other conferences don't play a full round robin so they can release their "conference opponents" for future years but even when we were a round robin, you'd think it would be easier. Hell i don't know

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We didn't even get the conference schedule for 2023 (this year) until, what, spring?

I think it's kind of out of the ordinary how Big Ten is projecting out. Fun to look at though. I'd probably like it if we showed ours years out, I don't care about dates and times but as someone in SoCal I'd love to know when we play @ASU and @AZ more than a year in advance.

Looks like Iowa will get 2 or 3 "big dogs" a year...vs this year where PSU is only ranked team. (I'm not counting wisconsin fwiw)

Reactions: RonBurgundy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yes. We seem to release the conference schedule like a few months before every time while the other conferences will release the next 7 years or whatever. We are 1000% the worst at this for whatever reason.
But does it really matter if Big12 schedule for 2024 is released in Oct or Jan 2024?

Last year it was late Jan because of OuT departure negotiations.

Reactions: VeloClone

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I think it's kind of out of the ordinary how Big Ten is projecting out. Fun to look at though. I'd probably like it if we showed ours years out, I don't care about dates and times but as someone in SoCal I'd love to know when we play @ASU and @AZ more than a year in advance.

Looks like Iowa will get 2 or 3 "big dogs" a year...vs this year where PSU is only ranked team. (I'm not counting wisconsin fwiw)

Agree. I think it is cool the B1G has laid out the conference matchups years out. I hope we do the same.

Is there even been any leaks/etc about how the Big 12 is approaching scheduling. I really like the idea of having three protected rivalries (KSU, KU and CU/OSU) and rotating the others.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I’m banking on having guaranteed teams each year (KSU, KU, CU) and rotate the rest.

If we have a singular protected rival (BYU was supposed to be it before the new additions) I expect it to be 65% Colorado 35% K-State.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
You don’t think there’s a chance that it’s Cincinnati?

In the unlikely event that there are single protected rivals, these are the sure things:

BYU-Utah
Arizona-ASU
Baylor-TCU
Kansas-KSU
WVU-Cincinnati

That leaves ISU, OSU, Tech, Houston, UCF, and Colorado to get paired up in some combination. You and I can guess but even if, say, Houston-UCF makes the most sense to us, I assume Houston would rather get Tech or even OSU and it might just depend on who is the most persuasive in the Big 12 office.

I think ISU could end up with any of OSU, Colorado, or UCF in that scenario.

Fortunately, I think there is basically no chance that they do it this way, and I expect they will use the Big Ten's scheduling plan for a 16-team league that they developed but never actually got to use.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
ACC just released how they were doing it:

1698705305402.jpeg

1698705325760.jpeg

"The approved format will continue to have each member institution play eight conference games per season, with all 17 teams playing each other at least twice over the next seven seasons – once at home and once on the road. The current 14 conference teams will play a total of three times each in California over the seven years and none will travel west to California in back-to-back seasons.

The new scheduling model protects 16 annual matchups. Of the 16 matchups, 11 are retained from the current 3-5-5 schedule model, two are restored rivalries from the divisional format in Miami-Virginia Tech and NC State-Wake Forest and the three new schools fill the remaining three. The annual protected matchups are Boston College-Syracuse, Boston College-Pitt, Syracuse-Pitt, North Carolina-Virginia, North Carolina-Duke, North Carolina-NC State, NC State-Wake Forest, NC State-Duke, Duke-Wake Forest, Virginia Tech-Virginia, Florida State-Clemson, Miami-Florida State, Miami-Virginia Tech, Stanford-Cal, Stanford-SMU, and Cal-SMU."

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
A little frustrating that the ACC can get this out quicker than the Big 12 when the Big 12 had a head start of a few weeks.

Reactions: State2015

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I kind of like how the Big 12 does it. Let there be a build up and it gets all the attention whenever it is released.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
It sucks that each team has an odd number of conference games (9) because some teams have to play 5 road games while others only have to play 4. However, 8 conference games are probably too few and 10 are probably too many.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It sucks that each team has an odd number of conference games (9) because some teams have to play 5 road games while others only have to play 4. However, 8 conference games are probably too few and 10 are probably too many.
The SEC only plays 8 conference games and they refuse to play 9. That's candy ass for sure.