Future Big 12 FB Opponents/Schedule Announced

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I guess I never realized they had 17 teams. Sheesh. How stupid.

17 and a scheduling deal with Notre Dame.

They've had a full 15 in basketball for awhile and when they get 7 teams in the dance the headline reads "ACC leads NCAA along with Big 12 with 7 teams in NCAA tournament".

Reactions: VeloClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I still think the smart thing is to organize it into regional protected rivalries:

ISU\KSU\Colorado\KU- old big 12 north region
Utah\UA\ASU\BYU- mountain region
Tech\TCU\Baylor\OSU- South region
Houston\UCF\WVU\Cincy- East region

Houston might seem not to fit but then you realize they're pretty close to quite a few of the teams they'd get outside their protected region.

The others all fit pretty perfectly. Hard for Colorado to complain when they're back with Big 8 teams and probably a lot closer on average than they were in Pac.

As big as 16 feels the Big 12's geography makes a ton of sense compared to ACC and Big Ten. The SEC is the only conference that has never made a reach in geography, just kind of grown outward like a blob.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I still think the smart thing is to organize it into regional protected rivalries:

I like this but sense I get that isn't the format they will go with. Guessing it will be more similar to what the other conferences did.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

That's the way I would do it. I have a feeling it won't, but just a hunch.

As long as ISU-KSU rivalry can continue, most other plans I could live with it (although it makes sense to keep ISU/KU/KSU continuous)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I like the idea of not manufacturing a protects rivalry. We do not have anybody so just schedule.
Only - BYU/Utah, Arizona/state, KU/KSU
THATS ALL I SEE. Do not fabricate rivals.

Is Baylor/TCU a renewed SWC rivalry that now has history of being renewed in Big 12 for a while?

It's all a lot easier if there is parity, the minute you have perennial bottom feeders or perennial national powers it gets pretty unfair guaranteeing certain schedules.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

That works really well for basketball if you already have that precedent...

18 games
---
home-and-home against your "pod" = 6
everybody else once = 12
= 18

If you wanted more (and it seems they almost certainly will)...

21 games
---
everybody else once = 12
play an extra game against 1/4 of each other pod = 3
=21

22 games
---
everybody else once = 12
play an extra game against each time in 1/3 of the other pods = 4
= 22

You'd have a home-and-home against half the conference (7*2 = 14) and one against the rest (8).

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I'm either team pod or 1-2 protected games. It makes too much sense to keep isu and the Kansas schools together.

10 conference football games is rough if you also have to play Iowa annually. Down years could get ugly
Would be a major shot in the foot if XII did 10 conf games while SEC, B1G, ACC are at 8 or 9.

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I'd lean towards 2 protected rivalries for each team and then a balanced schedule rotation every two years to get a home and home. Will be interesting to see what they actually come up with.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I think its weird some of these other conferences aren't giving out the same amount of protected rivalries' to each school. Iowa has 3, for instance whereas other big 10 schools have 1.

Seems little unfair, no?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
This is like Christmas morning. We are all awake, eager to open gifts. I get the feeling some people will be happy with their gift, some will be quite upset, and some will be "meh" about it.

No matter what it will be entertaining to see what present everyone receives and their reaction

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic