FYI - Screen shots will no longer work for ticket entry at games

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I don't think the scanners were an issue as much as they only had 25 of them for the north entrance.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2speedy1

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I walked in from the south at 12 and didn’t have a problem.

I’m guessing they’ll fix it, but maybe plan to get in three earlier next week.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I walked up to the north gate at about noon. Most scanners had one or two parties in line. Saw one with nobody. Walked up, had barcode open in Google wallet, scanned fine and quickly and walked up to concessions and then to my seat.

Easy, and zero problems from my personal experience.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I walked up to the north gate at about noon. Most scanners had one or two parties in line. Saw one with nobody. Walked up, had barcode open in Google wallet, scanned fine and quickly and walked up to concessions and then to my seat.

Easy, and zero problems from my personal experience.
There was no problem at noon. We made the mistake of walking past the entrance to go visit a friend's tailgate instead of going in then. When we got back at about 12.35 all hell had broken loose.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Interesting, I had 2 tickets to scan using the tap and I was in the stadium within 5 seconds when I got to the front.
Same. We got to gate 1 around 12:30. They explained everything well and we were on our way after waiting about 30 seconds in line.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We have Verizon and husband was streaming another game on his phone. We usually have trouble texting or looking up scores but it was super fast too. We have iPhones if that makes any difference.
It might...but based on the replies, it seems to be great for everyone BUT us. :(

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It might...but based on the replies, it seems to be great for everyone BUT us. :(
Hope you are recovered. I did ok in the heat but realized later I had not urinated for over eight hours which may be an old lady world record.

Verizon may be guilty of pongid discrimination

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
We were in the middle of the mob at the North gate at 12:50. People were very antsy when they missed the early touchdown scored shortly after game start. The gates got stormed, but people behind just thought they had decided to let us all walk in. About the time we got to the entrance several officer types showed up and it became obvious that they were not letting us just walk in.

The officials requested that we go back and get our tickets scanned. I don’t normally disregard official requests but I did this time. We went to our seats and didn’t try to get our tickets scanned. At half time I walked back down to the north scanners. Tried to scan our tickets. The tap method did not work. The kind attendant offered to help. She switched to the bar code but was only able to get one of 6 tickets to scan. This was all like a scene one could expect in Russia not at an ISU football game. Improvements need to be made before next Saturday.

CyGrad04

Sep 16, 2011
Ticket line was a absolute cluster... I missed most of the 1st quarter waiting at the North entrance, and everyone was getting anxious. My ticket didn't immediately scan, but I did get it to work. Something needs to be changed before Iowa. It's trash. Just switch back to last year's system. This could ever let people in quickly, and they should have known.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
North gates are almost always backed up in years past.
Well, this may be true, so what did management do about it? Make it worse for fans with the "new system" yesterday was the effect I experienced. And it was GD hot standing in line!

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
You should not have to be at the gates an hour ahead of time to make sure you can get through in time to see the game. What happened today was unacceptable.
Yeah, and if everyone shows up an hour ahead of time, all you do is move the problem up an hour on the clock!

Reactions: CyGrad04

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
The problem is that if one person has an issue with the scanner (whether it's the person's fault or the scanners fault), it holds up the entire line behind it. They need a process to remove that person from the line (have someone with a portable scanner to take them off to the side and help them) so the rest of the line can keep moving.

Example from yesterday: the people in front of me had their tickets downloaded to Ticketmaster but couldn't figure out how to scan multiples at the scanner. They held up the line for probably 3 minutes. Once I got to the scanner, mine scanned in 2 seconds and it all worked the way Athletics "hoped" it would. You can imagine if every fourth or fifth person has problems and holds up the line for 3 minutes why it caused the huge bottleneck, which becomes really ugly when it's 100 degrees out and people have lost their patience.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Buckle up: Next Saturday will be worse because there will be so many Iowa fans that aren't familiar with the system and didn't go through what we all went through in game one.

Not to mention the thousands of Cyclone fans who still aren't familiar with the system because they just started letting everyone in so they never got to try to scan their tickets.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Anyone expecting things to go perfectly during the rollout had unrealistic expectations.

They will improve for next week. There will be even bigger improvements for the 9/23 game. Change is a ***** a lot of the time but "just because we've always done it this way" isn't a reason to keep something. Reality is fewer and fewer people want to work at the gates and therefore the customer service element is going to continue to be pushed onto the product users. Same reason restaurants now have QR codes for paying or even ordering your food. Fewer people want to do that type of work so the industry is having to find alternative solutions.

Reactions: cycloneshort

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
One of my 2 tickets didn't scan as the scanner indicated it had already been scanned (at 12:00 ). After discussion and a supervisor, they let us in.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think the scanners were an issue as much as they only had 25 of them for the north entrance.
Yes the number of scanners and (lack of) educated staff to support scanner issues was the major blunder here. It was NOT “fans not going in early enough” or “not being prepared”. This is 100% on the AD and folks leading the event staff to address.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
How about having one scan for as many tickets you have? I had 6 of us in a group. It didn’t take me very long but I was prepared after waiting 45 minutes.

One scanned barcode should get all of your tickets in at once. (As long as everyone is with the ticket holder).

Would cut a major amount of time.

Or is that too logical?

Makes a lot of sense to me, unless there's some reason it can't be done. Think of all the time that would save. If you've got adult tickets plus Jr. Cyclone Club tickets, here is your swipe progression:

1. Scan the first ticket (hopefully you had that ready to go when you step up to the kiosk)
2. Swipe to the second ticket and scan it
3. Swipe out of that set of tickets, back to the wallet, tap into the second set of tickets
4. Scan the first of your second set of tickets
5. Swipe to the second ticket and scan it

A single ticket could save someone in that situation anywhere from what, 5 to 20 seconds? in line, depending on a given user's speed. Now multiply that by thousands of people.

Reactions: danvillecyclone