G5...why even

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
play football?

Every level of football has a mechanism by which a champion is crowed from NAIA to DIII to FCS and FBS...unless you're a G5 program.

G5 schools have no chance to play for a national championship in the FBS. Even ISU, Vandy, Oregon State, and Rutgers (well maybe not Rutgers) can start a season with a theoretical possibility of winning a championship. Not so for the G5.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
play football?

Every level of football has a mechanism by which a champion is crowed from NAIA to DIII to FCS and FBS...unless you're a G5 program.

G5 schools have no chance to play for a national championship in the FBS. Even ISU, Vandy, Oregon State, and Rutgers (well maybe not Rutgers) can start a season with a theoretical possibility of winning a championship. Not so for the G5.
I guess you missed it, Central Florida is the National Champion

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
play football?

I assume that the current G5 schools are still hoping that G5 schools or their school in particular will get included in any future P5 expansion or a new football model.

Technically, if UCF had been ranked high enough they could have been selected. Their schedule was just too easy for them to qualify.

If the playoffs expand to 6 or 8 teams there is a much better chance that an undefeated G5 team like UCF would get in. I don't think the playoffs will last forever leaving out P5 conference champions, so I think expansion is inevitable. Just have to wait to see if G5 teams ever get included.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
That's one of the stupidest self claimed titles ever. It kind of cheapens that they DID have a great season.

Better to raise a stink about expanding the playoffs than to claim a mythical title.

No better way to raise a stink about expanding the playoff when you have multiple teams claiming they are the rightful champions. I personally hope the AAC gets on board and recognizes UCF as national champs too. The more chaos, the better.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I assume that the current G5 schools are still hoping that G5 schools or their school in particular will get included in any future P5 expansion or a new football model.

Technically, if UCF had been ranked high enough they could have been selected. Their schedule was just too easy for them to qualify.

If the playoffs expand to 6 or 8 teams there is a much better chance that an undefeated G5 team like UCF would get in. I don't think the playoffs will last forever leaving out P5 conference champions, so I think expansion is inevitable. Just have to wait to see if G5 teams ever get included.

Id prefer a model that included 12-16 teams where every FBS conference gets an auto bid. I find it incredibly stupid that you have half the teams in FBS, who play under the same exact rules of every other team in the FBS, who get zero chance to play for a championship. Ive always liked the 16 model with 10 conference champs and 6 at larges. This year would of looked something like this:

1- Clemson
16- Troy/Appalachian State

8- USC
9- Penn State

5- Ohio State
12- UCF

4- Alabama
13- Boise State

6- Wisconsin
11- Washington

3- Georgia
14- Toledo

7- Auburn
10- Miami (FL)

2- Oklahoma
15- Florida Atlantic

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
No better way to raise a stink about expanding the playoff when you have multiple teams claiming they are the rightful champions. I personally hope the AAC gets on board and recognizes UCF as national champs too. The more chaos, the better.

I guess. But I think it makes UCF look silly more than anything. There have been loads of undefeated teams that didn't even get a shot at a 4 team playoff witht eh BCS and earlier systems. Most of them didn't proclaim themselves champions.

It just makes me think of when the coaches and AP would split championships because the bowl system didn't put 1 vs 2 in a game together.

UCF does have a gripe about not getting a shot, but I don't think this is the best way to go about it.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think declaring yourself national champs is silly. But if, say, the Associated Press, which will offer a final poll next week goes ahead and puts them at No. 1, they will at least have the credibility behind it.

I think there's a chance that happens, depending upon how much the AP wants to upset the apple cart that is the college football playoff.

• Agree
Reactions: Gordyo5

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Id prefer a model that included 12-16 teams where every FBS conference gets an auto bid. I find it incredibly stupid that you have half the teams in FBS, who play under the same exact rules of every other team in the FBS, who get zero chance to play for a championship. Ive always liked the 16 model with 10 conference champs and 6 at larges. This year would of looked something like this:

1- Clemson

8- USC
9- Penn State

5- Ohio State
12- UCF

4- Alabama
13- Boise State

6- Wisconsin
11- Washington

3- Georgia
14- Toledo

7- Auburn
10- Miami (FL)

2- Oklahoma
15- Florida Atlantic

Makes way too much sense.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I guess. But I think it makes UCF look silly more than anything. There have been loads of undefeated teams that didn't even get a shot at a 4 team playoff witht eh BCS and earlier systems. Most of them didn't proclaim themselves champions.

It just makes me think of when the coaches and AP would split championships because the bowl system didn't put 1 vs 2 in a game together.

UCF does have a gripe about not getting a shot, but I don't think this is the best way to go about it.

What have other approaches accomplished?
Might as well recognize their own team and see what happens. If it points out that the system really has no interest in a championship but just exists to make big programs extra money, so be it.
If it just points out that the G5 really have no chance, so be it.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
play football?

This goes back to the major flaw of the CFP system...top four teams they select, which would often (always) be a P5 school and not represent all P5s or G5s. The CFP should have 6 or 8 teams. P5 conferences get an autobid with at larges selected from the rest. One spot could even be designated to a G5 school. It should remove some controversy done that way.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Any other method UCF could have tried wouldn't have generated the kind of press this announcement made. We're still talking about UCF today, probably will for the rest of the week and we'll still be talking about them after the Championship Game on Monday. It was a great PR move for UCF.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
This goes back to the major flaw of the CFP system...top four teams they select, which would often (always) be a P5 school and not represent all P5s or G5s. The CFP should have 6 or 8 teams. P5 conferences get an autobid with at larges selected from the rest. One spot could even be designated to a G5 school. It should remove some controversy done that way.

Golic and Wingo were saying that if you put UCFs resume through the BCS formula, they would have been ranked 9th and still could have been left out of an 8-team playoff. Now imagine a playoff committee picking 4 more additional teams and the candidates are UCF, Ohio State, USC, Auburn, Wisconsin, Penn State, TCU and Miami - I don't think UCF makes it out of that next batch of candidates.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Golic and Wingo were saying that if you put UCFs resume through the BCS formula, they would have been ranked 9th and still could have been left out of an 8-team playoff. Now imagine a playoff committee picking 4 more additional teams and the candidates are UCF, Ohio State, USC, Auburn, Wisconsin, Penn State, TCU and Miami - I don't think UCF makes it out of that next batch of candidates.
Exactly right. So why even have a G5 or be one?

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

1- Clemson

8- USC
9- Penn State

5- Ohio State
12- UCF

4- Alabama
13- Boise State

6- Wisconsin
11- Washington

3- Georgia
14- Toledo

7- Auburn
10- Miami (FL)

2- Oklahoma
15- Florida Atlantic

With the way football and CTE are headed, I don’t see this happening unless they shorten seasons, practices, etc.

They need to lessen the amount of hits these kids are taking, not make it more.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron