Gabby Petito found dead in Wyoming

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's really interesting to me the things that wind up going viral. My wife has been following this one, but I guess the whole thing seems pretty obvious and straightforward to me. Angry boyfriend kills girlfriend, comes back home and tells Mom and Dad what he did. He gets advice to say nothing and lay low. It takes a little while to figure out she's missing since she's often off the grid and it wouldn't be uncommon not to hear from her. As the pressure starts to ramp up boyfriend realizes he's screwed and goes into hiding and likely commits suicide.

I guess the real intrigue is how the boyfriend was allowed to just disappear. It would seem to me they had enough circumstantial evidence to at least charge him with something, but maybe not...? If nothing else you'd think you'd want to make sure you have eyes on an increasingly desperate person-of-interest in a murder.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It's really interesting to me the things that wind up going viral. My wife has been following this one, but I guess the whole thing seems pretty obvious and straightforward to me. Angry boyfriend kills girlfriend, comes back home and tells Mom and Dad what he did. He gets advice to say nothing and lay low. It takes a little while to figure out she's missing since she's often off the grid and it wouldn't be uncommon not to hear from her. As the pressure starts to ramp up boyfriend realizes he's screwed and goes into hiding and likely commits suicide.

I guess the real intrigue is how the boyfriend was allowed to just disappear. It would seem to me they had enough circumstantial evidence to at least charge him with something, but maybe not...? If nothing else you'd think you'd want to make sure you have eyes on an increasingly desperate person-of-interest in a murder.

I consume a lot of news and I'd never heard of this before Friday morning. Then suddenly it was all I was hearing about. It checks a lot of boxes for what makes an attractive media story, and the ongoing drama of her not having yet been found when the story broke, and now his disappearance will keep it in the news for awhile.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

The family Attorney was preventing authorities from talking to the bf from what i read

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks and CyBobby

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The family Attorney was preventing authorities from talking to the bf from what i read

Which I get, but I think it's pretty common in these settings to find some kind of low level charge to charge him with so that you have an ability to bring him in and keep track of him. I guess I'm just surprised with all circumstantial evidence point to him they couldn't find something to charge him with in the meantime, or at least keep him surveilled.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Having LOST my son at age twenty two...it was devastating and you never really ever get over it....I know from my experience what her parents are going through right now....
My Deepest Sympathy goes out to the Petito Family right now....May heavenly father help you in your greatest hour of need.....

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Some clip last night showed an officer involved (paraphrasing) claiming they really didn't monitor the kid as they didn't think there was a connection between the video of their altercation and the current situation.

Oh, ok.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Some clip last night showed an officer involved (paraphrasing) claiming they really didn't monitor the kid as they didn't think there was a connection between the video of their altercation and the current situation.

Oh, ok.
Dumbest **** I've heard in a while. I'm starting to think the majority of law enforcement is really stupid.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This guy is the worlds worst criminal and his parents are walking a very fine line on conspiracy after the fact. I assume they're on the legal side since they've been following the advice of an attorney the entire time but assisting in the getaway seems like it should be crossing that line.

The FBI is searching the Laundrie Home in Florida as we speak right now ie MSNBC

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I'm hoping for the "best", they got into another argument, she walked off, couldn't find her way back.

Being said, everything about the boyfriend is just way too off for me. Why would you leave her if you had nothing to do with it? Good on him if he killed himself, but why not help her family find her? Why not give them some closure?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm hoping for the "best", they got into another argument, she walked off, couldn't find her way back.

Being said, everything about the boyfriend is just way too off for me. Why would you leave her if you had nothing to do with it? Good on him if he killed himself, but why not help her family find her? Why not give them some closure?
One of Petito's friends said she confided in her that Laundry heard voices. The dude was probably experiencing psychosis. She said he put off the reserved/kind vibe, but Petito complained of frequent fights and he was know to be very jealous and controlling.

• Informative
Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Has anyone watched the body cam footage of the initial incident? It almost sounds like she was more of the aggressor in the stories I've read regarding first incident. Youtube has the whole nearly 2 hour scene but I haven't watched it yet

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Oh, ok.
It would be one of the dumbest possible decisions they could have made, so there’s about a 92% chance that’s what happened.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Has anyone watched the body cam footage of the initial incident? It almost sounds like she was more of the aggressor in the stories I've read regarding first incident. Youtube has the whole nearly 2 hour scene but I haven't watched it yet
Would it have any relevance of whether she was or wasn’t?

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I consume a lot of news and I'd never heard of this before Friday morning. Then suddenly it was all I was hearing about. It checks a lot of boxes for what makes an attractive media story, and the ongoing drama of her not having yet been found when the story broke, and now his disappearance will keep it in the news for awhile.
MSM hasn’t had a “pretty white girl goes missing” story to froth over for a while so they are making hay.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Which I get, but I think it's pretty common in these settings to find some kind of low level charge to charge him with so that you have an ability to bring him in and keep track of him. I guess I'm just surprised with all circumstantial evidence point to him they couldn't find something to charge him with in the meantime, or at least keep him surveilled.

The Attorney wouldn't tell the authorities where to find him. If only 3 people know where he is (2 parents and attorney) how are the authorities supposed to do anything. By the time this blew up and was reported as a missing person he was already in hiding.