Gabby Petito found dead in Wyoming

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I believe that the YouTubers didn’t realize what they had saw (the van) until they went back and edited their dash cam footage.

That’s how I understood it anyways…

I saw dozens of those vans at their campground on the day and night before he hitchhiked out, it really wouldn’t have stood out no matter where it was parked, especially before this was even a story. I slept 100 feet from one that pulled up at10pm. It’s like every tenth vehicle is a van like that.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I just read that. Which confused me because the youtubers had pictures of the van by where the body was found. So I thought the van was left there by the body.
There's also some TikTok person coming out saying she and her boyfriend gave Laundrie a ride when he was hitchhiking in the park. It's possible he left her and the van, tried to get out, realized he wouldn't be able to hitchhike all the way home, went back and got the van.

Just an odd and sad situation.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I assume if they helped him get there or the if they lie about it. I don't think they are compelled to speak though.

I don't think it is, though. He hasn't been charged with anything, and they didn't actively participate in the crime or the disposal of the body. I think it'd be a different story if they were helping him elude the police after he'd be charged.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't think it is, though. He hasn't been charged with anything, and they didn't actively participate in the crime or the disposal of the body. I think it'd be a different story if they were helping him elude the police after he'd be charged.
Great point. I guess as far as they are concerned they can say they were just helping him go on a camping trip or something.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Very sad situation. However, if it wasn't for the fact that the victim was young and attractive, I doubt any of this would have been considered newsworthy enough by the media.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think it's clear he knew she was dead. Maybe an accident, which would somewhat explain his hiding? It's far more likely he's just running from the consequences of a murder.

Reactions: chadly82

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It is really weird that he left Grand Teton National Park and travelled home to his parents house where both he and Gabby lived. Then he appear to go about his life like nothing happened. He had to know her parents and the police would come looking for him at some point.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Very sad situation. However, if it wasn't for the fact that the victim was a young and attractive, I doubt any of this would have been considered newsworthy enough by the media.

When I lived in Chicago around '02-'15 this phenomenon could not have been more glaring.

If a white woman got mugged or raped in northside neighborhoods or rich north suburbs it was news for a month. For a murder on the southside to be news it had to be a little girl walking to school and even those sometimes would pretty much get ignored in compared to a white victim crime in Lincoln Park or Glencoe or somewhere like that.

Some are saying it's because they had social media presence, that's just not true from what I saw those years in that city.

Hopefully this case also shines a light on the reality that even if she had threatened him, harassed him or assaulted him as some say there is video evidence of, he can still be a murderer. In 'certain' cases our society is really fine with murder if someone just throws out an unsubstantiated claim they feel threatened.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
It is really weird that he left Grand Teton National Park and travelled home to his parents house where both he and Gabby lived. Then he appear to go about his life like nothing happened. He had to know her parents and the police would come looking for him at some point.
As Petito’s family lawyer said “he ain’t missing, he’s hiding.”

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Very sad situation. However, if it wasn't for the fact that the victim was young and attractive, I doubt any of this would have been considered newsworthy enough by the media.

Not for this long anyway.

There's some interesting loose ends though that sound like a Dateline type of review later on.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and GoHawks

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times

I've been following this pretty closely and there are a few things that aren't being addressed:

A text was sent to her parents saying, "no service in Yosemite." This was no accident and if it was then why the text?

A married couple were found dead recently in the Moab area and one of the women worked at the motel that Petito had her police altercation in front of. The murdered couple were seasoned outdoors women and they were texting friends complaining of a guy that was creeping them out.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/09/16/police-compare-notes/

Reactions: bozclone and MJ29

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I saw dozens of those vans at their campground on the day and night before he hitchhiked out, it really wouldn’t have stood out no matter where it was parked, especially before this was even a story. I slept 100 feet from one that pulled up at10pm. It’s like every tenth vehicle is a van like that.

This. Seeing a white ford van/grey sprinter/any color 4Runner out west is like seeing a Toyota Camry in the city.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times

I've been following this pretty closely and there are a few things that aren't being addressed:

A text was sent to her parents saying, "no service in Yosemite." This was no accident and if it was then why the text?

A married couple were found dead recently in the Moab area and one of the women worked at the motel that Petito had her police altercation in front of. The murdered couple were seasoned outdoors women and they were texting friends complaining of a guy that was creeping them out.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
There's also some TikTok person coming out saying she and her boyfriend gave Laundrie a ride when he was hitchhiking in the park. It's possible he left her and the van, tried to get out, realized he wouldn't be able to hitchhike all the way home, went back and got the van.

Just an odd and sad situation.
Authorities have placed no value in the claim. The Petito family also said the don't believe it is accurate.

Reactions: Saul_T

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This. Seeing a white ford van/grey sprinter/any color 4Runner out west is like seeing a Toyota Camry in the city.

Even compared to 3-4 years ago they are displacing and outnumbering RVs really fast, and they all look identical. 80% of them are white.

I mean I was there at this campground on 28th, 29th and Sept 5 and I'd have told the police I saw many 100s of vehicles matching this vehicle at that site. Pretty much worthless.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

Have you read anything that he was carrying a gun before?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
When I lived in Chicago around '02-'15 this phenomenon could not have been more glaring.

If a white woman got mugged or raped in northside neighborhoods or rich north suburbs it was news for a month. For a murder on the southside to be news it had to be a little girl walking to school and even those sometimes would pretty much get ignored in compared to a white victim crime in Lincoln Park or Glencoe or somewhere like that.

Some are saying it's because they had social media presence, that's just not true from what I saw those years in that city.

Hopefully this case also shines a light on the reality that even if she had threatened him, harassed him or assaulted him as some say there is video evidence of, he can still be a murderer. In 'certain' cases our society is really fine with murder if someone just throws out an unsubstantiated claim they feel threatened.

News is all about the sell. White suburban people watch the news.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks