Alert: GAMING & GROUPS THREAD - Will have to opt-in starting Monday

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Praise the Lord. Can you currently opt out of the betting threads? If so, I need to do that immediately.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Chris, if it means anything coming from me, you did the right thing. I regularly visit other B12 message boards and while just about all of them have a different format than CF, all of them have separate forums for the gaming and internet grab *** like the mafia and haxball nerdery.

Gotta agree with this...get rid of it from the main page. Good move CW.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
For over a year, I've gotten PM's and seen threads pop up about doing this. Now I'm doing it and all of you are upset.

What do you guys want?
Eh, someone in your position will never be able to make everyone happy. Just do what you feel is best for Cyclone Fanatic, and leave it at that.

While it has been mentioned, is there a way maybe down the road, it would be possible for certain posts, say such as politics/religion, to not show up when someone clicks "New Posts"?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
The complainers that wanted this to happen.

You need to reread this thread. Of the people who voiced an opinion about this particular decision, about 12 are against it, 8 are for it, while there are others that'd like to see something different.

Okay, I did.

15 for it
2 sounded like they were for it
9 spoke out against it
2 sounded like they were against it.

The rest were inconclusive. Many in this thread were trying to figure a way to make everyone happy but never sided with anyone. Some were complaining about people complaining but never really spoke an opinion.

Personally I'm for it because i don't care about those threads and less of those threads on the main page means more of other threads I get to see. Yes, I'm selfish, get over it. Still I wouldn't consider myself a vocial part of any of this. I would prefer even more to be able to select which forums I want on the main page. Whether that can be done or not...

Still, your statement is just as stupid as if I were to say that the vocal minority are the only ones complaining about this move now. We (you!) don't actually know how many like it or not, you're assuming. Based on the responses in this thread it is about 60/40 those who like it to those who don't but 28 people does not make up all of Cyclonefanatic! Of those who do like it, that doesn't mean they wouldn't rather have something more of a compromise. Nor does it mean that those that want to compromise don't like this move.

Reactions: Aclone

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
The complainers that wanted this to happen.

You need to reread this thread. Of the people who voiced an opinion about this particular decision, about 12 are against it, 8 are for it, while there are others that'd like to see something different.

Okay, I did.

15 for it
2 sounded like they were for it
9 spoke out against it
2 sounded like they were against it.

The rest were inconclusive. Many in this thread were trying to figure a way to make everyone happy but never sided with anyone. Some were complaining about people complaining but never really spoke an opinion.

Personally I'm for it because i don't care about those threads and less of those threads on the main page means more of other threads I get to see. Yes, I'm selfish, get over it. Still I wouldn't consider myself a vocial part of any of this. I would prefer even more to be able to select which forums I want on the main page. Whether that can be done or not...

Still, your statement is just as stupid as if I were to say that the vocal minority are the only ones complaining about this move now. We (you!) don't actually know how many like it or not, you're assuming. Based on the responses in this thread it is about 60/40 those who like it to those who don't but 28 people does not make up all of Cyclonefanatic! Of those who do like it, that doesn't mean they wouldn't rather have something more of a compromise. Nor does it mean that those that want to compromise don't like this move.

Try again. Adding the 2 more that are for it since I last posted makes it 12-10 against. Either way, this decision was based off of a very few that took the time to post or email CW. And only those people were complaining about it. That doesn't mean there aren't others who agree with the change. But you can't honestly believe that the number of people who spoke out against those threads to cause this decision to be made is not a small percentage of everyone who visits the site.

CW is free to run the site as he sees fit. I just don't care to see a handful of whiners dictate what that way should be.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
With as much whining as there is about what is or isn't on the main page I wouldn't be opposed to eliminating the main page. Want to see gaming threads? Go to the Game Forum. Want to discuss football? Go to the Football Forum.

With as much whining as goes on this site anymore I'm thinking people don't deserve the convenience of a damn main page.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Try again. Adding the 2 more that are for it since I last posted makes it 12-10 against. Either way, this decision was based off of a very few that took the time to post or email CW. And only those people were complaining about it. That doesn't mean there aren't others who agree with the change. But you can't honestly believe that the number of people who spoke out against those threads to cause this decision to be made is not a small percentage of everyone who visits the site.

CW is free to run the site as he sees fit. I just don't care to see a handful of whiners dictate what that way should be.
If it helps, I'm for it. But here's what I don't understand. For the gamers who opt in--it makes absolutely no difference to THEM, so what do they have to complain about???

Seriously. All it takes is a single opt-in, right? Then it's business as usual, as it always has been? So, why complain? Especially when it's good for the rest of us?

I'm puzzled. Seriously.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Then it's business as usual, as it always has been?

Technically, it won't be the same. Opt-in status only allows you to enter the Gaming subforum. Those posts will never be available on their main forum feed (like In-state Rivals) once this is active. I believe that is the main issue.

Yes, it's just one more click to get to the Gaming subforum but it's convenient to have all forums available on the main forum feed (or an opt-in status that will still post them to the main forum, which is possible).

Reactions: Aclone and cyrevkah

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
If it helps, I'm for it. But here's what I don't understand. For the gamers who opt in--it makes absolutely no difference to THEM, so what do they have to complain about???

Seriously. All it takes is a single opt-in, right? Then it's business as usual, as it always has been? So, why complain? Especially when it's good for the rest of us?

I'm puzzled. Seriously.

Forums requiring an opt in don't show up on the main page, even when you opt in.

Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Forums requiring an opt in don't show up on the main page, even when you opt in.
Thanks. gotcha now. So, it's just the reverse of when I have to take the extra clicks to go to the Football and the Basketball forums separately, just to get avoid the clutter on the front page. Which still doesn't reflect all the extraneous stuff that always ends up in Football, but hey.

Not being snarky, just saying.

*Completely exhausted. Haven't slept more than an hour at night all week, so I'm crashing--likely for another hour. Sigh. G'nite all.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
why can't you make it opt out where it starts out showing up and then they choose to remove it. we get a lot of mafia players from people who wonder what it is about then love to play. politics I understand how its opt in as most the threads make the board overall look bad, but gaming is not smart. also think of all the posts mafia brings to your board.

I don't understand why all threads aren't able to be turned off and on and default to on. why not give a new user the opportunity to see everything then choose what they don't want rather them hiding stuff they may never see.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If there's a way to make the opt-in still show on the main Forum page for those that use it that would likely make everyone warm and fuzzy. Opt-out won't see the threads at all.

Set the default to opt-in so users can decide if they want to opt-out. Put a sticky thread in the Gaming & Groups forum with directions on how to opt-out.

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
If there's a way to make the opt-in still show on the main Forum page for those that use it that would likely make everyone warm and fuzzy. Opt-out won't see the threads at all.Set the default to opt-in so users can decide if they want to opt-out.

While I see how this would be nice for gamers, there are a lot more none gamers that come to the site.

I love watching Mafia, but if I came here and saw the main page was all Mafia stuff, I would've never joined. More people want Iowa State stuff.

Help Support Us

Become a patron