MLB: General 2018 Major League Baseball Thread

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Twins refugee Aaron Hicks comes up with a big RBI in the 6th. He's really blossomed in NY and has been pretty good in the clutch.

Edit: And I love me some ex-Cardinal Luke Voit. ;)

Last edited:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
been awhile since the Yankees and Red Sox played in the playoffs. Should be fun

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Well, I was worried that Oakland's plan for pitching would backfire. And it did rather spectacularly. I heard on KNBR this morning that the A's are a horrific 1-14 in their last 15 post-season 'clinch games.' That's SO bad! They've had so many really good teams over the last two decades and they don't advance. Disappointing to say the least. I really wanted to watch them in an actual October series this year.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Well, I was worried that Oakland's plan for pitching would backfire. And it did rather spectacularly. I heard on KNBR this morning that the A's are a horrific 1-14 in their last 15 post-season 'clinch games.' That's SO bad! They've had so many really good teams over the last two decades and they don't advance. Disappointing to say the least. I really wanted to watch them in an actual October series this year.
I’ve been a silent A’s fan this year, in large part since I had Treinen in fantasy baseball, and I was bummed watching that game last night. I rarely ever watch west coast baseball unless the cubs are out there but the A’s were fun to keep up with

Reactions: Buster28

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I’ve been a silent A’s fan this year, in large part since I had Treinen in fantasy baseball, and I was bummed watching that game last night. I rarely ever watch west coast baseball unless the cubs are out there but the A’s were fun to keep up with

They are typically a lot of fun to watch play, especially when they're at home. The Coliseum may not be very full often, but those who do show up make up for their lack of numbers with a lot of love for their team. Last year, which was a terrible season for both Bay Area teams, the A's were SO much more interesting to watch because at least they were hitting the ball and getting on base occasionally (unlike the boys in orange and black). I wasn't an Oakland fan when I lived there, but became one after I left California. Wish more people supported them, but it's the nature of the market and so many hate their ancient ballpark (it's really not that bad to see a game there).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

It wasn't a bad plan considering the Yanks haven't really fared that well against these reliever games. Obviously not the "opener" start they wanted and that energized the fans and Yanks. If it's 0-0 at 4 or 5 innings the pressure might have shifted to the Yanks. Also, Yanks with Judge are way better than without and it's not just the homers, he seems more than that to the team. I never expected him back for the playoff in game form. When he got the lucky bounce double I did feel like it was their night.

Interesting post game on one of the late ESPN shows talking about the A's and how much of what they were doing was lost to a lot of baseball fans till late in the summer. So many fans, even when they were streaking in the second half, won't see them because of the late games and east coast media dominance. Khris Davis is bombing 40 and driving in 100 three years in a row and would be all over sports media if he played in a bigger market or wasn't time zone handicapped. They just need to find their next Catfish Hunter to lead the staff. Going wayback there to when I was in college and they had those teams that everybody knew the players on.

Reactions: Buster28

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Okay, gave myself a flashback to the 1970's A's. Catfish Hunter, Reggie Jackson, Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers, Rickey Henderson, Blue Moon Odom, Bert Campaneris, Ken Holtzman and Joe Rudi. Crazy owner and the great uniforms, big hair, magnificent mustaches and exciting play. They should bring back those unis.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought this was interesting, record of playoff teams versus .500 or better teams. Cleveland, in that weak-ass division, only played 54 games against .500 or better teams and only went .426 in them. Dodgers WON almost as many, 51, as the Indians played. :eek:

2018 playoff teams ranked by record vs. opponents .500 or better
1. Yankees: 41-30 (.577 winning percentage). MLB rank: 1
2. Dodgers: 51-38 (.573). MLB rank: 2
3. Red Sox: 41-33 (.554). MLB rank: 3
4. Rockies: 48-44 (.522). MLB rank: 5
5. Astros: 41-38 (.519). MLB rank: 6
6. Brewers: 49-46 (.516). MLB rank: 7 (tie)
7. Braves: 38-40 (.487). MLB rank: 10
8. Indians: 23-31 (.426). MLB rank: 17

Full article:
https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/ranking-playoff-clubs-vs-500-plus-competition/c-297064194

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
i predicted yankees vs. brewers world series last year. Would be funny if that happened a year later

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Sale wasn't his sharpest tonight, and then bullpen definitely got iffy tonight, but it's a win! Our pen is not the strong suit until we get to Kimbrel, although he has given up his fair share of homeruns (Judge tonight, too).

Price is going tomorrow, so that should be interesting. Will he continue to be a postseason disappointment, or will he continue his hot streak down the stretch of the regular season?

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
This game was over the very second Machado went deep in the 1st. Complete game shutout coming right up for Kershaw.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
This game was over the very second Machado went deep in the 1st. Complete game shutout coming right up for Kershaw.

I think for both our teams the ideal scenario would have been our two teams facing each other. Both our teams really had no chance from the start in these matchups. I'm just pissed that my team finally got a chance at national exposure and they pick this time to play their worst baseball of the season.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I think for both our teams the ideal scenario would have been our two teams facing each other. Both our teams really had no chance from the start in these matchups. I'm just pissed that my team finally got a chance at national exposure and they pick this time to play their worst baseball of the season.
Yep. Same with us. Atlanta locking up the division with 2.5 series' to go let them relax for a week. No high pressure games for a week and now they have to get their game face back on against a more experienced and more talented LA team. Bats have been on snooze for the last month. Oh well. Weren't even supposed to be here. The future is bright.

Let's hope we can both at least grab a win and not completely embarrass ourselves. At least you guys had a competitive game one. We've gotten dominated in both games haha.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
only series not 2-0 is the Yankees/Red Sox series. Hopefully Colorado and Atlanta can make their series go past 3.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought this is pretty cool. Red Sox fan scrambles for Judge homer ball, doesn't throw it back. Going to give it a Yankee fan buddy. That's a good friend.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron