MLB: General 2018 Major League Baseball Thread

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Today in History: October 8, 1956, Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in a World Series as the New York Yankees beat the Brooklyn Dodgers 2-0 in Game 5.

220px-PerfectLarsen.jpg

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Indians are completely imploding went from winning 2-1 to losing 2-10 in two innings. I wonder how they move this offseason. I think they can still compete for years to come, but you have to wonder if it’s time to start selling some pieces and try to tweak the team. They just seem to be regressing now.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Indians are completely imploding went from winning 2-1 to losing 2-10 in two innings. I wonder how they move this offseason. I think they can still compete for years to come, but you have to wonder if it’s time to start selling some pieces and try to tweak the team. They just seem to be regressing now.

Ridiculously weak division, they don't have to do much of anything different to return to postseason next year. Advancing postseason, well, that's a different story.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Ridiculously weak division, they don't have to do much of anything different to return to postseason next year. Advancing postseason, well, that's a different story.
Twins are my second team after the Yankees. I’m really hoping they get healthy and buy some better pieces. If they are have an average team making the wild card isn’t out of the question with that division.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Twins are my second team after the Yankees. I’m really hoping they get healthy and buy some better pieces. If they are have an average team making the wild card isn’t out of the question with that division.

It's going to take more than average to make the wild card right now. Last year was kinda of fluke to get in with 85 wins. They would need mid to high 90's and that's enough to win that division. Too many teams lining up already for next year already; Yanks, A's, Rays, Mariners etc. Young Ray's team won 90 this year and weren't even in the hunt.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Indians aren't as bad as the Stros made them look.

Houston is a machine.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
With Atlanta out, I'm hoping for a Brewers - Astros WS. MLB doesn't want that but I think that's a popular choice outside of LA, NY, and Boston.

I don't care on the AL side, but I'd like to see the Dodgers make the WS only for Kershaw. That guy has done so much in his career, it'd be nice to see him get a ring.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
With Atlanta out, I'm hoping for a Brewers - Astros WS. MLB doesn't want that but I think that's a popular choice outside of LA, NY, and Boston.

Brewers are the only team in it that will get me watching consistently. I'm a Cubs fan but have a soft spot for their fans I knew living in the Chicago area and think it'd be great if they could win.

I'll never understand the national fan who isn't a Yankees fan who decides to watch because it's the Yankees. The one exception to that would be the few times there's a transformative once in a generation individual player, that seems to happen more with basketball than the other three major American sports. I get how Jordan/LeBron equal ratings. I don't get the fan that tunes in because of the Red Sox or Patriots or Yankees or Lakers logo...I'm tuning in for the little guy way more than those boring year after year teams.

Living here in LA you'd never know in a million years that there is MLB baseball playoffs happening. It's less publicized here than a high school football game of a team with a losing record is in Des Moines.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Brewers are the only team in it that will get me watching consistently. I'm a Cubs fan but have a soft spot for their fans I knew living in the Chicago area and think it'd be great if they could win.

I'll never understand the national fan who isn't a Yankees fan who decides to watch because it's the Yankees. The one exception to that would be the few times there's a transformative once in a generation individual player, that seems to happen more with basketball than the other three major American sports. I get how Jordan/LeBron equal ratings. I don't get the fan that tunes in because of the Red Sox or Patriots or Yankees or Lakers logo...I'm tuning in for the little guy way more than those boring year after year teams.

Living here in LA you'd never know in a million years that there is MLB baseball playoffs happening. It's less publicized here than a high school football game of a team with a losing record is in Des Moines.
The atmosphere in Dodger Stadium for games 1 and 2 seemed to back up what you're saying and it wasn't because it was "just the Braves". That stadium is like that every postseason. Just like it is with Laker games, there seems to be a bunch of celebrities in the stands and a lot of golf claps.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

That's the WS I'd like to see as well. Pulling for the Brewers since they have never won it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Generally, this postseason isn't doing much for umpires versus calls for automating balls/strikes with AI. Even worse than regular season. Damn.

Help Support Us

Become a patron