Good bye Battles/Campus town liquors building

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Also, Im surprised this has not been brought up here or published in the Trib yet, but Olive Garden is coming to Ames, right next to Texas RH.

Is that official-official? That rumor's gone around so many times, it would be great if it were finally true.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
So there is going to be a new Kum & Go surrounded by a bunch of empty buildings? That isn't good news for Campustown.

uhhh, pretty sure Kum N Go is interested in buying all the properties to make a full sized gas station and convenience store...

The only empty lot would be the one where Kum & Go currently is which would undoubtedly be bought pretty quickly by another interested developer.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I wonder if they would build something for the Campus liquors to rent a space too so they could still get a cut in the campus liquor sales.

Gas Stations in Iowa can sell liquor now I believe. It may be a big reason they want a bigger store is that they want room for more liquor inventory.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Im working on a project down here in STL where we are dealing with this exact problem. So it happens more than you think.

I'm assuming the project you are working on is in more of a blighted area? Campustown property is pretty premium, and the value of that property would drop quite a bit or be unsalable if they did not have it "shovel-ready".

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Battle's has moved before, it used to be over on Hayward. The building it is in doesn't matter much, it's all about the sauce recipe.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Like some others have said it sounds like they are in talks to buy out the post office and the old T-galaxy building as well. Seems they want a larger and more modern convenience store/gas station, and one that can service more pumps as well. I would think a developer would buy up their old property pretty quickly as it is a good location. Some improvements seem to be occurring in campustown (i.e. new businesses like Charlie Yokes, portebello road, and also the continued construction of more apartments to the south of that area increasing the population density which businesses probably like to see), hopefully this helps to speed up those improvements. Hopefully battle's can find a new and adequate space in campustown, who knows this may actually be a good thing for them.

Also, Im surprised this has not been brought up here or published in the Trib yet, but Olive Garden is coming to Ames, right next to Texas RH.
My wife will be overjoyed if this is true, my wallet not so much.

Last edited:

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I wonder if they would build something for the Campus liquors to rent a space too so they could still get a cut in the campus liquor sales.

Doubt it. With K&G now carrying hard liquor as well as beer and wine I'd say that would be direct competition. My bet is that one of the reasons they are looking to expand the store is to get a larger cut of beer and liquor sales from all the people who live in that area.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
It used to be a Hardee's at one point did it not? I think I remember seeing a sign in the parking lot saying Hardee's parking only.

Across the street from the McDonald's which is also no longer there.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Hmm that's a good point and I don't know the answer. I assume they COULD sell kegs if they had the space and the desire, since they obviously have a full liquor license.

Yeah this might be the only reason I see them making space for a "keg shop" so they don't have to deal with it. I realize they could build a liquor and beer area to be similar to the keg shop to absorb the sales but who sells the kegs?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I guarantee K&G uses that space to make a full service beer and liquor section of their store.

Smart move, IMO. Seems that there's some rejuvenation going on around there. Stopped into a couple bars the night before the Tulsa game, and they were looking a LOT nicer than my day. Mickey's in particular. That place looked great on the inside. Big Shots, where Element used to be is an upgrade over that place too.

I'd like to see Campustown be revitalized without going to some dumb plan that includes a bunch of retail and office space that will never get used. It needs work, but it needs to stay an entertainment district, period.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So is battles not going to be a thing anymore? Apologies if thats been addressed i didn't see it.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
So is battles not going to be a thing anymore? Apologies if thats been addressed i didn't see it.

Sounds like it is up in the air. From the article, it sounds like Goodman will look for another location if possible. The sale isn't really related to Battle's success as they are just the leaser of that space.