Good bye Battles/Campus town liquors building

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Sounds like it is up in the air. From the article, it sounds like Goodman will look for another location if possible. The sale isn't really related to Battle's success as they are just the leaser of that space.

I'd think the old K&G could be a workable location for a small restaurant.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
Sad to see the Keg Shop go, stopped in there a couple years ago to pick up some airliners before a game. The clerk was carding everybody, told me not to worry about getting mine out. I paused for a moment, then he said "Dude, I remember you". I graduated in 2001. [cool story, bro]

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
It used to be a Hardee's at one point did it not? I think I remember seeing a sign in the parking lot saying Hardee's parking only.

Across the street from the McDonald's which is also no longer there.

Yes, through most of the 80's and early 90's this used to be Hardee's. Then it split to Keg Shop in the back w/ the Blimpie's in the front.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
So, a 1.3 acre, gaudy gas station in the middle of campus town? That's extremely disappointing... The last thing that area needs is a big paved lot...

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
sad day. the ol' Keg Shop never asked questions when you walked in for bloody mary supplies at 6:15 in the morning

HuxleyClone

Sep 16, 2007
After visiting Battles this summer (no students around and it was dead in there) I ordered and promptly waited 20 minutes to get a sandwich with chips and a pickle. No big loss if they never relocate.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
After visiting Battles this summer (no students around and it was dead in there) I ordered and promptly waited 20 minutes to get a sandwich with chips and a pickle. No big loss if they never relocate.

I would wait an hour for one of those sandwiches that was spit on for that BBQ sauce and a pickel!

boo.gif

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I was in there the weekend before school started and ordered the sliced beef sandwich. And, as always, it ****ing rocked! I've never been disappointed with Battles dating back to the early 90's. Best BBQ I have ever had anywhere, and I eat a lot of BBQ.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
So, a 1.3 acre, gaudy gas station in the middle of campus town? That's extremely disappointing... The last thing that area needs is a big paved lot...

I actually tend to agree with this. While new development in campus town is great, I would rather see the gas station leaving to make room for more bars and restaurants as opposed to tripling in size and eating up a chunk of prime real estate.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The problem is that it's WAY too expensive to put a new restaurant or bar in Campustown. You have to go with existing facilities unless you're Kum & Go and have a ton of capital at your disposal. Kum & Go can make it because it is able to generate money for 18+ hours each day. Restaurants and bars have to be run with a very, very low margin in Campustown and a new building Whiskey River style isn't feasible.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I actually tend to agree with this. While new development in campus town is great, I would rather see the gas station leaving to make room for more bars and restaurants as opposed to tripling in size and eating up a chunk of prime real estate.

The T-Galaxy building is still there. Feel free to make an offer and open a bar. What's stopping you??

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't know if I could go on living in a world without Battle's BBQ

It's a scary thought. One of the only places where the meat AND sauce are truly awesome. If anyone remembers Big Daddy's in DM, I think it's somewhat comparable on that level.