Good bye Battles/Campus town liquors building

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
What growth did he vote against exactly? I hear this sentiment repeated often here, but never substantiated by anything concrete. Serious question.

He's got the anti-growth label stuck on him since the mall proposal off I-35 was being debated. He along with a few other anti-growthers dragged the process out so long that it eventually just died. Yes, in the end he ended up voting to allow it, but he was outnumbered on the council at that point anyway.

Recently, he's been pretty vocal about South Duff development, the Deery Brothers car dealership proposal, and a proposal by a developer to do actual re-development of campustown (as opposed to putting lipstick on the pig that it currently is).

He has business interests in Ames, and he keeps his interests ahead of the community he was elected to serve.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
He has made some interesting votes while being on the city council. I think he has been a lot more conservative in his voting than people would expect from an independent business owner.

When he was elected I had hope that he could shake up Ames' terrible council leadership but that hasn't happened as much as I thought.

I pay attention to the city council every now and then, and from what I can tell he is the only one that has an idea what is going on and isn't rife with cronyism. For instance I think everyone wants to see more businesses coming to Ames, but should we have to bend around our own policies/regulations in order to bring them here (i.e. Deery Brothers getting tax abatement for building in a flood plain) when long-standing businesses in the community didn't get the same kind of breaks? Problem is he can't do much with just 1 vote out of 6.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think a re-developed Campustown would serve his interest well.

The problem with the Campustown proposals so far is that they totally miss the point. Campustown needs redevelopment, but it does not need retail/office space. It needs building renovations/demolitions, and some aesthetic changes. The thing is, its an entertainment district and thats what is going to work there. If you try to turn it into office space, its going to bomb.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
He's got the anti-growth label stuck on him since the mall proposal off I-35 was being debated. He along with a few other anti-growthers dragged the process out so long that it eventually just died. Yes, in the end he ended up voting to allow it, but he was outnumbered on the council at that point anyway.

Recently, he's been pretty vocal about South Duff development, the Deery Brothers car dealership proposal, and a proposal by a developer to do actual re-development of campustown (as opposed to putting lipstick on the pig that it currently is).

He has business interests in Ames, and he keeps his interests ahead of the community he was elected to serve.

It "just died"? That's not how I remember it. I seem to remember the investor in the land getting foreclosed upon after failing to secure a single leaser for the proposed retail space. Not sure it's in the city's best interest to let some developer who can't remain solvent for a couple years develop 800,000 sq ft of future urban blight.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
It "just died"? That's not how I remember it. I seem to remember the investor in the land getting foreclosed upon after failing to secure a single leaser for the proposed retail space. Not sure it's in the city's best interest to let some developer who can't remain solvent for a couple years develop 800,000 sq ft of future urban blight.

You really want to re-hash that entire debacle? I was trying to make a point with some brevity.

Yeah, the council should've been able to foresee the developer going bankrupt and the economy tanking...but they didn't.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
They might do well financially, but FB was much better before he took over.

This may be true, however FB wasn't doing so well financially which is why it was sold in the first place. Fact is their burritos are still good and I can can get one cheaper than i can at Poncheros (considering I like grilled veggies and they charge an extra dollar for them).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had FB the last time I was in Ames and found it incredible.

That could have more to do with the fact that I live an hour from the nearest burrito joint, so I'm quite deprived these days, but nonetheless it was highly enjoyable.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
This may be true, however FB wasn't doing so well financially which is why it was sold in the first place. Fact is their burritos are still good and I can can get one cheaper than i can at Poncheros (considering I like grilled veggies and they charge an extra dollar for them).

Yeah FB has always been my favorite because of the choices they give you and I really like their ingredients. With that said the "good ole days" of them double wrapping burritos are gone.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
You really want to re-hash that entire debacle? I was trying to make a point with some brevity.

Yeah, the council should've been able to foresee the developer going bankrupt and the economy tanking...but they didn't.

Right, my point was just that maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that this particular developer didn't end up building a mall at that point in time.

I'm with you on wanting to see Ames grow Ribs, I just think there is also room for deliberation and strategic development. Sometimes it's good to have at least one contrarian on a City Council because you certainly don't want it to just be a rubber stamp. Overall, I think Ames has done a good job expanding slowly without massive sprawl and blight. Even North Grand Mall is finally getting their act together (I hope).

If you graduated from ISU in 2005 like me, and returned for this first time this year, you likely wouldn't recognize more than a hand full of businesses along South Duff from your time in school.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Right, my point was just that maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that this particular developer didn't end up building a mall at that point in time.

I'm with you on wanting to see Ames grow Ribs, I just think there is also room for deliberation and strategic development. Sometimes it's good to have at least one contrarian on a City Council because you certainly don't want it to just be a rubber stamp. Overall, I think Ames has done a good job expanding slowly without massive sprawl and blight. Even North Grand Mall is finally getting their act together (I hope).

If you graduated from ISU in 2005 like me, and returned for this first time this year, you likely wouldn't recognize more than a hand full of businesses along South Duff from your time in school.
Which is a HUGE step in the right direction. Hell holes like Happy Joe's and the bowling alley needed to go for that area to do anything.

Help Support Us

Become a patron