Good feeling about the Lucca appeal

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
One of the players that was on that team said that he made less than a thousand a month, barely covering his expenses and equal to less than his scholarship had been worth. He joked that he could make more working at a fast food restaurant. I will see if I can find the article those quotes were in.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Just curious--one of the key issues was that two (two!!!) players on Lucca's team received more than the NCAA considered the minimum for living expenses. Does anyone know just exactly how much that was? It would seem relevant. And how did the NCAA arrive at their figure?

Where the rule becomes "unfair" is when you starting to try to apply to the rule to a globbal situation. All countries differ in how they play organized sports. In Germany, if Lucca has any aspirations to playing in the US as a collegiate player or NBA, he MUST participate in the club circuit. The HS level doesn't offer enough competition, hence Lucca's 102 points in a game. He was making a statement that the competition level is too easy. His ONLY choice is to play club sports. And now the NCAA is saying that by playing the club circuit, he loses a year. This is equivalent to saying that anyone in the US that participates in AAU loses a year.

With this new interpretation of this "long standing rule", anyone overseas on club teams just lost their chance to play college ball in the US. This is a major change for foreign players and it penalizes them for doing only what they MUST do to get to play college ball in the US. Seems like a catch 22.

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
It would be interesting to know how much is too much. And if they used conversion rates at the time of the incident or current ones.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is anyone else here getting that 'night before Christmas feeling'?

I can't help but think we might see Lucca in a mere 4 hours.

I know I am setting myself up to be disappointed, but dammit, I just can't help it!

spanny

Jun 17, 2006
Grimes
Re: Is anyone else here getting that 'night before Christmas feeling'?

I teach school and these next 2 days might as well be two weeks, yikes our youth are wound tighter than a three day clock! I love my job though

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If Lucca is cleared before the game we'll hear about it. Unless it's immediately before the game. There are tickets to be sold.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I know this sounds pessimistic, but don't get your hopes up too high. It's the NCAA we are dealing with here, and we can't forget that. They've done the wrong thing once, and to me they don't seem like the people to right a wrong, especially if it looks bad. But I'll be about the happiest person on here if he can actually play.