Hail Mary, Houston wins.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Would sure like to see ISU practice and use the Hail Mary. Throw the ball a couple of times, if need be. Nothing to lose. Everything to gain.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I've never understood the move from Hail Mary passes to an endless stream of laterals. With the HM, you only need a guy to catch the ball once. With the endless laterals, you need players constantly in the right position, always behind the person with the ball, and no mistakes. Neither have high chances, but I'd go HM every time.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I've never understood the move from Hail Mary passes to an endless stream of laterals. With the HM, you only need a guy to catch the ball once. With the endless laterals, you need players constantly in the right position, always behind the person with the ball, and no mistakes. Neither have high chances, but I'd go HM every time.
Yeah, i've thought the same. Seems all the things that would need to line up for the laterals out number the things for a hail mary.

I know a lot of times it's about getting it to a spot that the QB can make a throw to the end zone (and for college that is more difficult).

i also think, you might create an opportunity for a PI (granted, ref would be VERY reluctant to throw)

Reactions: Jer and SCarolinaCy

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
That was crazy. Bad penalty on the WV QB to move the kickoff back. I'd be sick if I were a WV fan. I guess at least we aren't the first to lose to one of the new teams.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Would sure like to see ISU practice and use the Hail Mary. Throw the ball a couple of times, if need be. Nothing to lose. Everything to gain.

How do know they don't and when have they needed it?

I love these 'why doesn't ISU get down by 3 with 13 seconds left and take advantage of excessive celebration to heave it into a crowd for the defense to not functionally knock it down and have the ball miraculously land in our players' hand that wasn't really in position' posts.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I never saw what the WV QB did to get the penalty. I was impressed that Houston actually had a bit of a play designed for the initial receiver who touched the ball to tip it to a teammate. Really pretty good strategy.
Yeah, I'd like to see the replay of what the WVU QB did to warrant the penalty. Anyone have that clip?!

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Yeah, I'd like to see the replay of what the WVU QB did to warrant the penalty. Anyone have that clip?!
My hunch (and that's all that it is) is that he said something he shouldn't have. That's the only reason I can conjure up for why some video of it (even from a cell phone in the crowd) hasn't surfaced.

• Informative
Reactions: kentkel

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Not every college QB can get the ball to the end zone from 50 yards out. I think that plays a lot into it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Comes down to where you are. If you are inside your 35-40 yard line, a HM will most likely land outside the 10-15 which means the defense can get to the ball and if caught tackle the receiver at that point.

Reactions: Drew0311

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
My hunch (and that's all that it is) is that he said something he shouldn't have. That's the only reason I can conjure up for why some video of it (even from a cell phone in the crowd) hasn't surfaced.

He took his helmet off during the celebration. Here is what Neil Brown and the qb Greene had to say about it.

"Those are asinine. I don’t understand them. The rule is clear — don’t take your helmet off. It’s not hard,” Brown said. “Keep your helmet on. We can celebrate all you want to on the sideline. I’m not saying that decided the game, because maybe they throw a little deeper out cut, but that’s ridiculous. There’s probably nothing I’m more upset at than that.”

Greene accepted blame for the costly penalty.

“That’s 100 percent on me,” he said. “For us to be a really good football team like I know we are, the quarterback can’t make [dumb] mistakes like that. I messed that one up. If they’re 15 yards back, that last play probably doesn’t happen.”

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

You also run the chance of a penalty and getting another play closer to the endzone.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Well, at least ISU wont be the first B12 team to lose to a newcomer. FWIW i dont believe they will, but something tells me thats a stat that will never be forgotten

Reactions: GoldCy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He took his helmet off during the celebration. Here is what Neil Brown and the qb Greene had to say about it.

"Those are asinine. I don’t understand them. The rule is clear — don’t take your helmet off. It’s not hard,” Brown said. “Keep your helmet on. We can celebrate all you want to on the sideline. I’m not saying that decided the game, because maybe they throw a little deeper out cut, but that’s ridiculous. There’s probably nothing I’m more upset at than that.”

Greene accepted blame for the costly penalty.

“That’s 100 percent on me,” he said. “For us to be a really good football team like I know we are, the quarterback can’t make [dumb] mistakes like that. I messed that one up. If they’re 15 yards back, that last play probably doesn’t happen.”
As a Vikings fan, that pisses me off. KC got away with doing that after a TD late in the game last week. Supposedly the ref looked at the player who took his helmet off and instead of getting his flag out, just told him to put his helmet back on. Not sure how much difference it would have made, but still.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Do you see many lateral plays when the QB has enough arm strength to get it to the end zone? I don't watch a ton of football, but it seems like I usually see a Hail Mary

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone