Hail Mary, Houston wins.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
You also run the chance of a penalty and getting another play closer to the endzone.
Technically possible, but no official is throwing a flag on a Hail Mary unless defenders are blatantly tackling guys with the ball in the air. Even then odds are whistles get swallowed

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Horrid....bet West Virginia -3. Talk about a euphoric rush quickly turning bad. Lol.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I never saw what the WV QB did to get the penalty. I was impressed that Houston actually had a bit of a play designed for the initial receiver who touched the ball to tip it to a teammate. Really pretty good strategy.

Didn’t see what he did for the penalty, but he was chirping and waving at the fans after the TD

• Agree
Reactions: dfwcy and VeloClone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How do know they don't and when have they needed it?

I love these 'why doesn't ISU get down by 3 with 13 seconds left and take advantage of excessive celebration to heave it into a crowd for the defense to not functionally knock it down and have the ball miraculously land in our players' hand that wasn't really in position' posts.

Exactly.

Reactions: khardbored

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Didn’t see what he did for the penalty, but he was chirping and waving at the fans after the TD
From the postgame comments I found, sounds like he removed his helmet while still on the field

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What a roller coaster ride...

I don’t like Houston, but how fun for their fans. If I had been there I wouldn’t have slept all night.

Between this and GT, it was a crazy week for impossible endings.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Technically possible, but no official is throwing a flag on a Hail Mary unless defenders are blatantly tackling guys with the ball in the air. Even then odds are whistles get swallowed
Probably true. Heck the guy who caught the TD bowled over his defender just before his teammate tipped it. That is why the defender couldn't defend it - he was trying to regain his balance. On a normal play there is a chance that gets called OPI, but on a Hail Mary, no chance.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
WVU failed. had small guys defending tall guys. they shouldve subbed in some bigger players.

there were lbs 10 yards off the ball-neither blitzing qb or in deep coverage.

they had several run stuffers in game rather than best pass rushers.

lots of blame to go around, but a total failure of the defensive staff to defend a hail mary. This is the story of the NB era--poor in-game coaching.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
As a Vikings fan, that pisses me off. KC got away with doing that after a TD late in the game last week. Supposedly the ref looked at the player who took his helmet off and instead of getting his flag out, just told him to put his helmet back on. Not sure how much difference it would have made, but still.
I saw that! I have no interest in either team, but that was a blatant disregard of the rules by two refs. And from what I watched, the refs helped out KC more than just that time. With the money involved, gambling included, NFL refs need to be impartial and enforce the rules. Those refs were so bad.

But as ISU fans know, you can't point out refs being wrong. You may get some apology letters, but you'll just aggravate the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I saw that! I have no interest in either team, but that was a blatant disregard of the rules by two refs. And from what I watched, the refs helped out KC more than just that time. With the money involved, gambling included, NFL refs need to be impartial and enforce the rules. Those refs were so bad.

But as ISU fans know, you can't point out refs being wrong. You may get some apology letters, but you'll just aggravate the problem.
They were bad, but especially noticeable late in the game. Picked up a DPI flag on a pretty egregious and obvious DPI on KC. Again, as the Vikings were trying to drive down the field to win or at least tie. But your 2nd paragraph rings true. No outcomes were ever changed by ******** about how poor the officiating was.

Reactions: LarryISU

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don’t like Houston, but how fun for their fans. If I had been there I wouldn’t have slept all night.

Between this and GT, it was a crazy week for impossible endings.
What's hilarious is that it was a revenge game for Holgerson. Probably saved his job for at least another week as well.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
WVU failed. had small guys defending tall guys. they shouldve subbed in some bigger players.

there were lbs 10 yards off the ball-neither blitzing qb or in deep coverage.

they had several run stuffers in game rather than best pass rushers.

lots of blame to go around, but a total failure of the defensive staff to defend a hail mary. This is the story of the NB era--poor in-game coaching.

There's some things they could do but frankly it's 99% bad luck, it happens. I'd be sick to see ISU lose that way.

The LB's are there so your best tacklers can handle a lateral play. But I get it, I bet if you ran the numbers it's better to rush 5 or 6, especially in college.

jwrussel

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny, IA
It appeared to me that some Houston fans stormed the field in the celebration. I presume Dana addressed these unprofessional fans to lead off his press conference and will address it again with an apology at next week’s media teleconference.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All 1,700 of them.
I was going to say, from the looks of it just casually flipping thru channels last night, if I hadn't seen the recognizable WVU colors and uniforms, I might've thought I was watching a game at a high school stadium.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It appeared to me that some Houston fans stormed the field in the celebration. I presume Dana addressed these unprofessional fans to lead off his press conference and will address it again with an apology at next week’s media teleconference.
WE NEED TO BRING BACK REP

Reactions: khardbored

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the key aspect preventing that penalty (aside from refs not wanting to call it) is that all the defenders are pretty much squared up with their eyes toward the ball in flight. There can be all sorts of legal contact in that scenario.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt