Halloween Hawkeye Costume

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
This Letter to the Editor appeared in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier:

"Halloween trick no treat"
DENISE FRANKLIN

CEDAR FALLS--To the two households in the Orchard Hill area of Cedar Falls that refused to give candy to my son because he was dressed up like an Iowa Hawkeye football player, I have one thing to say: Grow up! He is a 9-year-old boy. What did he ever do to you? Did you hope to teach him something? Well, you succeeded. He learned something about non-Hawkeye fans and it wasn't good.

Halloween is for the children and there is no room for prejudice. At least he had a costume. Did you refuse to give candy to all the kids who showed up with no costumes?

Perhaps you were kidding -- he didn't get the joke and you didn't call him back to correct it. He walked away from your houses wondering what he had done wrong. Way to go.

Kids only get to trick or treat 12 or 13 times in their lives and probably only remember a handful of those times. Thanks for giving my son this memory. I hope you're proud of yourself.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Thats funny... Personally I would of told the kid to get off my porch and get a job if he came up. Or raise my hands in terror thinking he was going to rob me.

mban1104l.jpg

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
This lady was probably planning on living on that candy for the next couple of weeks. The cigarette tax has made things tough all over you know.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Lady,

You are the Mother. You made the decision to corrupt your Son. He was only nine and you were using him. Did you take the easy way out and send your poor 9 year old out in his football helmet. You need to be more innovative. Those Hawkeye uniforms are a dime a dozen. For your information, some of them are in jail now. Lady, next year get a life and dress him up like Shrek or the Teletubbies. Do not embarrass him again. Did they dress you up as a cheerleader when you were young? No, of course not.

Razz Ma Tazz

Last edited:

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
HAHAHAHAHAHA thats funny stuff..

now that i think about it tho..

i remember when my sister was a football player for halloween and had my ames jersey on in ankeny.. and actually there was like 2 houses that refused to give her candy.. maybe it was because ames beat ankeny that year.. owell

d4cy

Oct 19, 2006
Ames
imagine dressing up as a tuff as rain tiger, and carrying a glendower banner..........Spraque was pry out trick or treating as well

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Now if the kid had shown up on a moped with handcuffs, a wad of cash, a "Life's a Hustle" shirt and his pants around his ankles, I might have given him candy for an accurate costume.

Come on, kid. Accessorize. Show me you want it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
FF_102792_l.jpg

Gee, Mom, you dressed him like a girly Hawkeye. No wonder they did not hand out treats.

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
I don't think is funny at all. Kids should be left out of any Hawkeye/Cyclone crap slinging that goes on. My kids are growing up Cyclones in Hawkeye land I hate it when Hawk fans bring the kids into it.

Edit: I guess it wasn't a named Cyclone fan but still....

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
I don't think is funny at all. Kids should be left out of any Hawkeye/Cyclone crap slinging that goes on. My kids are growing up Cyclones in Hawkeye land I hate it when Hawk fans bring the kids into it.
Agreed. I'd be pretty ticked if some a**-hole Hawk fan did that same thing to my kid if he was dressed up as a Cyclone for Halloween. It's good for a laugh here on the message board, but in real life, it's a crappy thing to do.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
And in later news, the owners of two households in the Orchard Hill area receive honorary keys to the city (ceremony seen below) for denying anyone associated with the Hawkeye program the ability to feel good about themselves. We tip our hats to you sirs and madams, and are in your debt. ~Cedar Falls Mayor

Key-to-Nicholasville-Photo-Final-Compressed.jpg

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with others that this is a pretty crummy thing to do to a kid. I hate the hawkeyes more than anyone, but the reason I hate them is because of crap like this. So, I am just as angry when it goes the other direction. Did that person honestly think they were doing a good thing? If you really want to convert a kid to the good guys, you don't do it by punishing them for something they know nothing about. I bet 10-1 that kid grows up a hawk fan telling his friends "I remember one year when I went trick or treating and this a-hole ISU/UNI/etc fan wouldn't give me candy just because I was wearing black and gold" and that's why I hate them.

Probably just reinforced the dedication to UI:no:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

Edit: I guess it wasn't a named Cyclone fan but still....

Agreed. I'd be pretty ticked if some a**-hole Hawk fan did that same thing to my kid if he was dressed up as a Cyclone for Halloween. It's good for a laugh here on the message board, but in real life, it's a crappy thing to do.

I agree that they're d-bags for it, but it is funny (in a sad way). I feel bad for the kid, but not for the parent for not doing anything at the time.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
I didn't take it this far, but when kids asked me if I wanted to hear a joke I asked them if they had any good hawk jokes. They looked at me kind of funny though and had no clue what I was talking about.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Folks this is a rivalry and we should take it as that.

No one should really hate a Hawk fan, nor they a Clone. Come on, save the hate for people that really want to kill us.

Kids should not be brought into this. And the person who did not give candy to the kids is a jerk, period.