Halloween Hawkeye Costume

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
At least you're consistent, I'll give you that. I have a feeling your kid wouldn't find it as funny as you did, though. :no:

That's life.

Some people are d-bags. You can get all pissy about it, or you can laugh it off. I know how my kids will be raised.

Tulsa Cyclone

Nov 21, 2006
Tulsa, OK
Feel bad for the kid if he didn't get candy because of his costume. On the other hand he probably doubled-up on candy a few times from Iowa fans. Ms. Franklin didn't say her son was refused by a Cyclone, Panther, other Big 10/11 fan, etc....so we shouldn't make any assumptions.

Last year I saw two kids dressed as Jeff Gordon get refused candy from a Tony Stewart fan. I have Zero knowledge of NASCAR...can't name more than 5-6 drivers and wouldn't really know what they look like. Kids should be left out of ANY AND ALL sports rivalries.

Last Saturday I drove 3-hours over to Springfield, MO to watch the Northern Iowa vs. Missouri State Football game. Very impressed with UNI. Talked to numerous UNI fans who were following the ISU vs. KSU score with me. Saw some other ISU fans wearing Cyclone gear at the game and only one Iowa fan.

UNI fans were sportsmanlike and a class act and UNI dominated MSU. Best of luck to Northern Iowa. I hope they win a National Championship.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Feel bad for the kid if he didn't get candy because of his costume. On the other hand he probably doubled-up on candy a few times from Iowa fans. Ms. Franklin didn't say her son was refused by a Cyclone, Panther, other Big 10/11 fan, etc....so we shouldn't make any assumptions.

Last year I saw two kids dressed as Jeff Gordon get refused candy from a Tony Stewart fan. I have Zero knowledge of NASCAR...can't name more than 5-6 drivers and wouldn't really know what they look like. Kids should be left out of ANY AND ALL sports rivalries.

Last Saturday I drove 3-hours over to Springfield, MO to watch the Northern Iowa vs. Missouri State Football game. Very impressed with UNI. Talked to numerous UNI fans who were following the ISU vs. KSU score with me. Saw some other ISU fans wearing Cyclone gear at the game and only one Iowa fan.

UNI fans were sportsmanlike and a class act and UNI dominated MSU. Best of luck to Northern Iowa. I hope they win a National Championship.
Good post! I disagree with one point though. For the kid who was mistreated like that, it's not about the amount of candy you got. An entire truckload of candy from someone else who liked his costume isn't going to make up for the humiliation he experienced from that one jerk. Just my $0.02 on the matter...

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
What about the letter to the editor?! There's a number of issues regarding the letter. 1) Who did she pay to write that letter because it is a known fact that Hawks can't read, write, or speak English 2) Why waste time to write a letter aimed at someone who will never read it nor hear about it? Furthermore, what was the mom doing skipping her graveyard at Wal-Mart to take her kid trick-or-treating?

If you're going to write a letter to the editor, write about something relevant; not that your kid got stiffed trick-or-treating because if this little incident was so important that a person needs to write a public statement about it, then they don't have a whole lot going for them. But it was a hawk fan so it all makes sense now.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Being a Cyclone fan is a birthright, so of course they have to learn the truth at a young age.

Being an EIU fan is a mental deficiency and sugar makes it worse. They did the little squawker a favor.

[NOsarcasm] This is awesome. I'm glad this rivalry is so intense that adults refuse candy to kids for dressing up like the team they dislike and everyone dislikes the Squawks. It's just so awesome!

[/NOsarcasm]

Again, showing your intelligence.

If a Hawk fan did this to an ISU kid, we'd all be hearing "OMG! I can't believe those Squawks pick on little kids. Keep it against adults. Squawk fans are bad, but even I didn't think they were this bad!"

Obviously, we don't know if it's a Clone fan, as BvK said, that's not the point. The point is, it's absolutely ridiculous that an adult finds it necessary or funny to refuse candy to a kid because they are dressed up like a player of a team they don't like.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Sorry, that may have been confusing...

I was saying that if an adult is denying a child candy because the kid is dressed in hawkeye gear, that in fact the adult is the one who is acting childish.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Sorry, that may have been confusing...

I was saying that if an adult is denying a child candy because the kid is dressed in hawkeye gear, that in fact the adult is the one who is acting childish.
Thanks for clarifying! It should come as no surprise that I agree with you on that. :yes:

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Would I deny a kid candy because he was dressed in Hawkeye gear? No. But would I get upset if a UNI fan didn't give candy to my son because he was dressed as a Cyclone? No. And neither would my 9-year-old son. He's old enough to keep this in perspective, and get the joke. In fact just this week he talked about dressing up next year as "Sparky" the ASU Sun Devil. (We live in Phoenix.) Then he joked that maybe he shouldn't because the U of A fans wouldn't give him candy. I can understand being upset if my boy was 3 or 4, but a 9 year old is old enough to get it.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Halloween is meant for scary things, not ******** things...end of story. You are a bad mother and you shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Mothers don't let their kids grow up to be chokeyes!!!

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
In fact just this week he talked about dressing up next year as "Sparky" the ASU Sun Devil. (We live in Phoenix.)

Dress him up like an ASU Sun Devil and have him go out in Iowa City. That might bring up some nice nightmares from the last time Hawk fans got a load of the Sun Devils.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
I can't believe how many hyper-sensitive people we have on this board. Waiter, could I have a big order of "sense of humor" with that?:twitcy:

Last edited:

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
This lady was probably planning on living on that candy for the next couple of weeks. The cigarette tax has made things tough all over you know.

Hahaha...That's great. Taking a night off from bartending (aka getting sloshed) at the local pub to take your kids trick or treating does make for a stressful night.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Maybe the kid was the neighborhood Bully, and was refused candy because of that. And the mother pulled a Jesse Jackson and said it was because of the color of his costume?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Yeah right you are all talk. You would have given him candy regardless, and if not you are a cold hearted SOB. Next year I am not giving any of the kids dressed up as angels treats because that is Christian and I don't believe in it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
not true....i milked trick or treating for like 17 years for the free candy

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
The lady should have taken her kids to the trailer parks to trick or treat and then this never would have happened.

All fun aside, I would never do this to a child of that age. I would definitely joke around with the child and ask if he would prefer a credit card instead of candy but I would have least given him the candy no one else was taking.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I can't believe how many hyper-sensitive people we have on this board. Waiter, could I have a big order of "sense of humor" with that?:twitcy:

Nobody is sensitive. We're just saying it's not funny to keep candy from a kid because he dressed as a rival. It's stupid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron