Halloween Hawkeye Costume

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't think I would have denied the kid candy.

However, he'd probably have to settle for the kind that comes in the orange and/or black paper wrappers that are chewy, yet harder than hell, and taste like ***, and if you got them you were basically obliged to egg that person's house the next day (I forget the name of those).

Hey - a kid's gotta learn that his choices have consequences sometime in his life :wink:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It now is a bigger deal because the neighborhood knows poor Jimmy was skunked by two evil witch houses in Orchard Hill in sleepy Cedar Falls. Orchard Hill thanks the Mother for bringing national noteriety on something that occurs around the country. Now Jimmy goes to school and everyone knows he is a Hawkeye fan because his Mother made him one.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We have to be carefull. Just because he dressed up like a Hawkeye, we shouldnt treat him bad. He's only 9, we have some years to pursuade him to the good guys. You trash him now, he will always hate us and become the ignorant A-H we have come to despise. I know some of you out there started out hawk fans as kids!

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I wonder if there is a correlation between posts that are upset about this and wether or not the poster has kids.

There was a time when I would think this is fun and part of the rivalry (collateral damage if you will) but I don't think it is fun for the kid.

These kinds of things breed more hatred and negative actions than add fun to a harmless rivalry.

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
Re: Talk about scarey!

Thread merge...

My bad, thank for the merge.
Young kids should learn about the Cyclones in a positive way. But, wow, up here in the Cedar Valley we are outnumbered something like 500:1 I think, or so it feels. Better take it any way we can get it.:spinny:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I wonder if there is a correlation between posts that are upset about this and wether or not the poster has kids.

That is completely irrelevant to the discussion. It doesn't make it "unfunny" if you have kids. It just means that you empathize more with the idiot who wrote a letter to the editor. I can just see that mom hunched over a keyboard typing furiously thinking, "YEAH. This will get back at those jerks. Feel the wrath of the Press-Citizen!"

Maybe it's a really good opportunity to teach the kid a short lesson on discrimination, and that being a Hawkeye fan will generally make you a second class citizen in the eyes of most of the world.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
How do we know this wasn't a UNI fan that hates the Hawks? It's not like this was in Ames, it was in CF.

A UNI fan that hates the hawks? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

If only one of them actually existed.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I find this hillarious and would expect no less if someone denied my kid candy dressed up in Cyclone gear. So what? You didn't get candy at one freaking house...there's like 1000 more places you can go in town, what's the big deal? I hope the kid cried.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
We all know the article isn't telling the whole truth. The little brat in hawk gear was just mimmicking his idols and either peed on the guys driveway or else when the homeowner went to give him some candy the kid said "shove the candy up your whazzooo, I came here for your credit cards". That's the part missing out of the story.

Then the homeowner slapped the kid around, took his fake cell phone, and $4.00 worth of his candy.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

There was a time when I would think this is fun and part of the rivalry (collateral damage if you will) but I don't think it is fun for the kid.

These kinds of things breed more hatred and negative actions than add fun to a harmless rivalry.

100% agree on this one. I despise the hawks and have no problem letting it be known when around friends and adult aquaintances/message boards, etc. This has not always been the case.

I have 3 girls who are 8, 5 and 2. They have seen me going back and forth with my hawk friends and 98% of the time it was just giving each other hard times about their team all in good fun. Well one day my 8 yr old comes home from school and tells me she would really like to be friends with so&so but she can't because she is a hawk fan. So I had to sit back and realize how literal they take your conversations and let them know that all hawk fans aren't bad, they just don't make smart decisions.......OK OK not the last part of that sentence. Thats when I realized that I take this stuff way more serious and need to take smart parenting more serious then other things that seemed more important before kids came along.

But the kids aren't around now, so lets get back to hawk bashing......:biglaugh::twitcy:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Then the homeowner slapped the kid around, took his fake cell phone, and $4.00 worth of his candy.

and then punched a hole in the wall and shot off a fire extinguisher in the hallway on his way to trying to borrow a bottle of Nyquil at the local store.......:wink:

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Careful with that talk, there'll be several UNI lovers here soon to somehow spin that to be false or perfectly o.k.

Help Support Us

Become a patron