Hason Ward Appreciation Thread

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
We're really tough inside with Ward and BRE. Add in King and we're just not going to get bullied. We also have guards that can get into the lane. What we're missing is a couple of snipers. Momcilivic is by far our best shooter. If Curtis Jones could start hitting or Gilbert got a little more consistent from outside, we'd be really tough to beat.

I’d be shocked if C. Jones got much better this year, he is averaging out about the same as the rest of his career, taking into consideration tougher defense faced in the B12. As far as Gilbert, he made only 15 3s in conference at UNLV over 2 years. I hope they make a leap like Tamin did, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

I am very thankful we have Milan.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I'm hoping to see Ward go to the Meralco Bolts in the Philippines (my favorite overseas team). They really need a big. They had Prince Ibeh, but he can't even catch the ball.

How in the world do you have a favorite overseas team, let alone one in the Philippines?

Not trying to come off a jerk. I am genuinely curious how that happens.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I think C Jones showed his value in running the team when Lipsey sits. He’s much more in control than KG. Both are good at creating for others, but Jones is much more careful with the ball (averages less than 1 TO a game).

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I know it doesn't really matter who starts the game between BRE and Ward because they both play about 20 minutes a piece, but I always thought it was better for Ward to start and bring BRE off the bench with that "playing with his hair on fire" energy.

Does Ward get his starting spot back again soon? Things seem to be working fine the way they are right now.
That's an interesting question. I'd guess TJ will go with "if it ain't broke, ..." , but I wouldn't be surprised if Ward starts at some point.

• Agree
Reactions: CRCySpy

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I’m impressed with Ward’s touch within say 8 feet of the basket. He puts it up soft and has made several in that range since returning. And he has a decent stroke at the line. Add his lob game and he could become a steady 10-12 ppg scorer which would be huge for this team.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I’m impressed with Ward’s touch within say 8 feet of the basket. He puts it up soft and has made several in that range since returning. And he has a decent stroke at the line. Add his lob game and he could become a steady 10-12 ppg scorer which would be huge for this team.
Ward can hit that 8-10 ft jumper in the lane. Helpful because that’s a shot that’s there against certain types of defenses. I would think Watson could hit that, too. Would be nice to see him try

Reactions: clonehome

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
How in the world do you have a favorite overseas team, let alone one in the Philippines?

Not trying to come off a jerk. I am genuinely curious how that happens.
My wife and step-sons live in the Philippines. I just spent a month there and went to 4 Meralco Bolts games while I was there. A good friend of mine (Chris Newsome) is one of their star players. He grew up down the street from me here in Rio Rancho, NM. One of the games I went to was against a team in Taiwan and we got to see Jeremy Lin play for that team. Pretty cool experience... Basketball is huge in the Philippines. That is the only sport they are into. Chris got us VIP seats for the last game we went to and after the game he had me bring the kids out on the court to get a picture with him and gave them the arm sleeve he wore during the game. That was a huge deal for the kids, they loved it.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
We are a completely different team with Ward on the floor. I think you could make the argument he’s our second best player. His length and ability to run the floor add an element to this team that no others can replace. Also pretty cool he bet on himself to come back and it’s paying off.
I am a huge Ward fan. He and BRE are great complimentary players, very different skill sets. Play each 20 minutes.
Ward is not only a high flyer, but he is very quick off the floor. Not a great offensive player but much improved. Plays within his game. I would love to have him back next year - but will not happen.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I’d be shocked if C. Jones got much better this year, he is averaging out about the same as the rest of his career, taking into consideration tougher defense faced in the B12. As far as Gilbert, he made only 15 3s in conference at UNLV over 2 years. I hope they make a leap like Tamin did, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Yeah, I’d say any jumps would happen this offseason if they do. I do think that Curtis will have some games where he knocks down 3-4 threes. But most often it will be 0-1.

In conference games, we are kind of screwed if Milan isn’t hitting because there’s really no one else. Tamin is our 2nd best shooter and he’s already being asked to do a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

It was crazy people were writing in Gilbert as a shooter.

Jones is basically Holmes. Most games you can’t count on his shooting. That’s okay, still a valuable player, but given our needs, it lowered our ceiling not having Jones or Pav be consistent offense off the bench

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Yeah, I’d say any jumps would happen this offseason if they do. I do think that Curtis will have some games where he knocks down 3-4 threes. But most often it will be 0-1.

In conference games, we are kind of screwed if Milan isn’t hitting because there’s really no one else. Tamin is our 2nd best shooter and he’s already being asked to do a lot.

I’m just glad the Cyclones have 1 pretty reliable shooter this year as opposed to 0 the last 2 years. Even in TJs first year, Brockington was great, but he wasn’t ever what I would consider a shooter.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Jones is basically Holmes. Most games you can’t count on his shooting. That’s okay, still a valuable player, but given our needs, it lowered our ceiling not having Jones or Pav be consistent offense off the bench
Holmes averaged 5 more pts/game and was asked to do quite a bit more than Jones. I think Jones has embraced his role as a defender and role player and is still adjusting to how the defensive intensity affects his shooting. I think there will be some games this season where he shoots us out of a scoring drought and ignites a win.

Reactions: NENick and wing59

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Holmes averaged 5 more pts/game and was asked to do quite a bit more than Jones. I think Jones has embraced his role as a defender and role player and is still adjusting to how the defensive intensity affects his shooting. I think there will be some games this season where he shoots us out of a scoring drought and ignites a win.

Of course he was asked to do a lot more. He was a starter after all

Jones is a similar player in terms of talent and ability imo

He may end up with a better average, but like Holmes, in most games he’s not contributing to a win via shooting. It’s defense, grit, and a little play-making.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Naw. If Holmes wasn't scoring he was virtually useless and he was a very incapable defender. C Jones can play plus defense, thus remaining a contributor (so long as he recognizes when he doesn't have it and abstains from shooting 10-15 times).

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Of course he was asked to do a lot more. He was a starter after all

Jones is a similar player in terms of talent and ability imo

He may end up with a better average, but like Holmes, in most games he’s not contributing to a win via shooting. It’s defense, grit, and a little play-making.

Holmes was never a good/great defender, nor could he rebound. If he wasn't scoring, or at least penetrating and kicking out, he had little value. C Jones and Holmes have virtually nothing in common as basketball players.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think C Jones showed his value in running the team when Lipsey sits. He’s much more in control than KG. Both are good at creating for others, but Jones is much more careful with the ball (averages less than 1 TO a game).
Curtis has also been an outstanding defender. I was expecting him and Milan to be upgrades on the offensive end, and maybe be liabilities on the other end, but both have impressed me.