Hason Ward Appreciation Thread

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I do agree with you.... but it does make me wonder how the OSU player got away with far worse against BRE a few days ago.
Can't a coach get a review on a play that has already been ruled intentional? You would think that reviewing that after a coach requests it should be almost automatic. It didn't appear they even discussed reviewing it. It wasn't the first dangerous play that player had made in the game either.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I do agree with you.... but it does make me wonder how the OSU player got away with far worse against BRE a few days ago.
Absolutely. I'm sure the reasoning that it wasn't reviewed is that, theoretically, the defender was trying to play the ball. But only one arm got close to the ball, while the other was around Jones's neck, and making that play in mid-air is more dangerous than what Ward did.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Absolutely. I'm sure the reasoning that it wasn't reviewed is that, theoretically, the defender was trying to play the ball. But only one arm got close to the ball, while the other was around Jones's neck, and making that play in mid-air is more dangerous than what Ward did.
Really no excuse for not reviewing it. I've seen them go to the video on 100 plays that were more benign than that already this year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Any contact to the head is generally reviewed. In addition when he took him clear to the ground it escalated the severity.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Speaking of Hason's ejection. As a fan: Love it. The writing was on the wall, the storm was brewing all game long and I saw a player who had had enough and went to bat to try to ignite a spark or set the tone for next round. Playing non physical basketball against a bunch of non physical kids isnt going to work. Alter the game.

As a coach: (Yes I know I'm only a high school coach) but you had to have it. There is a time and a place and that right there was the time and the place. Game was starting to slip, there was a glimmer of hope with still time to pull it off. The environment needed to change. Hason either gets a technical or the coach gets the technical. Some call it science some call it dirty. What ever. On the flip side: BYU had to know it was coming. They had to be well coached and instructed: "they are about to pop, dont retaliate. They are beat and they just dont know it yet, they have to try to ignite it. Bleed the clock and lets get out of here with the W. Stay safe fellas."

Reactions: Cyclonepride

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Speaking of Hason's ejection. As a fan: Love it. The writing was on the wall, the storm was brewing all game long and I saw a player who had had enough and went to bat to try to ignite a spark or set the tone for next round. Playing non physical basketball against a bunch of non physical kids isnt going to work. Alter the game.

As a coach: (Yes I know I'm only a high school coach) but you had to have it. There is a time and a place and that right there was the time and the place. Game was starting to slip, there was a glimmer of hope with still time to pull it off. The environment needed to change. Hason either gets a technical or the coach gets the technical. Some call it science some call it dirty. What ever. On the flip side: BYU had to know it was coming. They had to be well coached and instructed: "they are about to pop, dont retaliate. They are beat and they just dont know it yet, they have to try to ignite it. Bleed the clock and lets get out of here with the W. Stay safe fellas."

This is about the polar opposite of how I feel about it and see it.

Hasan doing that shows that BYU was getting to him just like ISU's players have vs. Iowa in some years.

Hopefully things are straightened out for Saturday.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
This is about the polar opposite of how I feel about it and see it.

Hasan doing that shows that BYU was getting to him just like ISU's players have vs. Iowa in some years.

Hopefully things are straightened out for Saturday.
Agree with your take.

I'd love to know the back story (his tipping point to do it...was it something done/said to him, overall frustration, etc). I mean, every time some weird looking dude for BYU shot a 3 I WANTED to hit someone, lol.

On tv it first looked like Lipsey was part of it (then seeing the other angle clear he wasn't)...but i was like "it MUST be bad it Tamin lost his cool.

The announcers were raving about Ward (as we all are too)...hopefully the coaches can iron out the gaps from last night and the players take that thumping as a motivator.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Guy was doing dirty/cheap sh!t all game with impunity, I'm glad Ward clocked him and hope he did it on purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I thought maybe it would be more the DeAndre Kane award...

hqdefault.jpg

Should’ve gouged that ******* eyes out

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Is there any next game ramifications to being ejected? Is that just cfb?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My take(s) on the the 2nd half, the Ward F2 ejection here, FWIW.
There was the incident with Saunders at the 10.30 mark (2nd half), when Waterman was shooting FT's [This after Waterman got fouled by Watson and Watson and Ward getting pushy on Waterman trying to get up.] Looked like Ward blasted Saunders off the foul line causing him to fall. Tempers flaring at this point, ISU down 14 now and appearing to be very frustrated.

Ward is a bit out of control IMO, gets a Flagrant 2 and he was ejected. Was there some baiting there? I don't know.

I remember thinking Flagrant 1 on that one, but understood the F2. I couldn't understand the Houston game, the Houston player only getting an F1 against BRE (Big Rob Energy -Jones), when that should have been an F2.

The play or two after this, BRE gets fouled by Kalifa, and goes down very hard. But it looked like a BB play by Kalifa and nothing egregious. We are getting our butts whipped at this point.

Down 18 now at the 8' mark, Milan gets fouled by Saunders on a 3 point attempt. I just thought he was going for the block and made a stupid foul. At this point, the tension was still pretty high and Byu had all the MO.

Then at the 4.10 mark, Saunders cuts and get the pass, makes a driving layup while Lipsey reaches in and fouls him (not hard) but injures his L shoulder. Tamin is out the rest of the game and we are unsure the seriousness of the injury.

That's how I see it. Saunders is OK in my book is what he is/we'll wait for round 2, but and was involved in a couple of plays that really hurt ISU. The last one, Tamin Lipsey, our star player, was injured on.

See you in the rematch, BYU.

Edit: I can see the hate toward some of the Byu players, and specifically Saunders and Waterman.
Rewatching this segment again. Saunders gives a very hard foul on a Momcilovic shot at 10.58, taking him down. This is gonna escalate pretty soon. It did.

Waterman does drape his arm over Watson's neck and head, 10.30 mark, then rolls, taking Watson's head with him, not cool. Watson and Ward are now chippy to Waterman as they get up. Waterman has been getting away with quite a few fouls earlier. It's starting to blow up.

I see this a little differently now. BYU hacking, fouling much of night, not getting called on many. ISU getting frustrated. Ward is frustrated and also sees himself as an enforcer now, taking his F2 on Saunders, Saunders is a perfect target, had just done a hard hack and body blow foul on Momcilovic. Statement made, right or wrong.

I would rather have had Ward keep his cool there, on the other hand it's the emotion of the game and wanting to try to change the direction of the game, good or bad.

So there you have it, the 11' to 4' mark in the 2nd half, some critical moments. The game and that sequence won't be forgotten when they play again in Ames.
The BYU rematch is going to be very interesting and different.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
He took exception to that douche Waterman purposely laying on Gilbert with his arm over his face. Just picked the next goofy looking dude to take it out on. Not a great move, but I like the spirit.
Saunders was a convenient mark, yes, but he had also just fouled Milan very hard while he was shooting, taking him to the ground, just 30 seconds earlier on the game clock. It was a hard foul then a body blow to take him down. 10.58 mark 2nd half.

There was gonna be some payback just for that. What Waterman did was the icing on the cake.