Hawkeyes whining about postseason baseball

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
The SABRmetrics component he’s implemented is cutting edge. Major league teams have been poaching his Staff. Took UNI to College World Series, that hasn’t happened very often.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Don’t bad mouth Heller, he’s as knowledgeable and dedicated to the game as anyone I‘ve ever met. Rick puts a well prepared smart product on the field. Probably a matter of time before he gets poached by a bigger better program.
I would be shocked if Heller left EIU for anther program, it has been his dream job for years when he was at Upper Iowa and UNI. He has many family and friends in the Eldon area that go to their games and hang out with his wife and brother before and after the games.

At 58, I just cannot see him jumping for a rebuilding job at another school, but I could be wrong.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
How much does Iowa lose every year supporting an average baseball team in a poor climate and bad conference??

I'd rather pave CMC's parking spot in gold bricks than support a college baseball team in our climate..

Reactions: psycln11

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I have a friend that played for him at UNI. He can't speak highly enough about the guy. Heller knows how to coach baseball as well as anyone as far as I'm concerned.

I was fortunate enough to play for Coach Heller and I can't think of one bad thing to say about the guy. He is one of the nicest people you will meet and he's smarter than he is nice and not just in baseball.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can understand Heller's confusion. Inflated records based largely on beating bad inter-conference opponents has worked so well for the other major men's sports. Kind of unfair the same philosophy isn't rewarded in baseball.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I can understand Heller's confusion. Inflated records based largely on beating bad inter-conference opponents has worked so well for the other major men's sports. Kind of unfair the same philosophy isn't rewarded in baseball.

The problem for Heller is that he doesn't have quality conference games to pull Iowa up. It's not an RPI problem, it's a poor conference problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyismymonkey

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The SABRmetrics component he’s implemented is cutting edge. Major league teams have been poaching his Staff. Took UNI to College World Series, that hasn’t happened very often.

What year did he take UNI to the World Series? I remember them getting into a regional.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Glad to hear Heller is a great guy. One of my best friends has a son over their pitching. I think he's the number 2 guy. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't gone to a game. I would actually buy a hawk baseball shirt.

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill
Glad to hear Heller is a great guy. One of my best friends has a son over their pitching. I think he's the number 2 guy. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't gone to a game. I would actually buy a hawk baseball shirt.
Great guy. Really like him and a number of the kids playing. My son plays college baseball, otherwise I would go to a few games.

Reactions: KidSilverhair