Hawkeyes whining about postseason baseball

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Some day, when he's still in Iowa City, at the bars until close, he can tell someone all about this.
And after he gets done running his mouth some guy will smash a empty beer pitcher over his head and Conman will blame a former Cyclone football player.

Reactions: CycloneVet

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
What year did he take UNI to the World Series? I remember them getting into a regional.
He didn't. He went 1-2 in the Lincoln Regional in 2001.

Still a pretty amazing accomplishment at UNI when you consider what he had to work with.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Iowa at this point would be better off dropping the baseball program like we did 2 decades ago. Sure, the rest of the Big 12 fans like to mock us for not having a baseball program, and while it would be kind of fun to once again have ISU baseball, at least we’re not wasting money on a dying sport that has no chance whatsoever of winning anything significant in the conference it’s currently in.

Dying sport?

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
Heller has missed 5 straight NCAAs and is still thought of as a good coach by their fans? I know Iowa's baseball program was really bad but jeez.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Yes. Baseball is a dying sport. Don't let your "God Bless America, the greatest country on the earth, and it's national pastime" blind you to the fact that with each and every passing generation fewer and fewer kids give a crap about baseball.
Fewer and fewer kids *don’t* give a crap about sports in general, jdogg.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Glad to hear Heller is a great guy. One of my best friends has a son over their pitching. I think he's the number 2 guy. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't gone to a game. I would actually buy a hawk baseball shirt.

Now don't go all crazy on us! ;) :D

Reactions: stateofmind

Doug Piranha

Oct 13, 2021
Heller has missed 5 straight NCAAs and is still thought of as a good coach by their fans? I know Iowa's baseball program was really bad but jeez.
giphy.gif

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Most all the good teams are in the South.
The Big 10 was down this year.
South teams (particularly the teams from the SEC and Big 12) won't schedule Big 10 teams because they have nothing to gain by doing so. In many cases it hurts their strength of schedule if they did play a Big 10 team.
Tough luck. Better luck next year! Lol

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Heller is a hell of a baseball coach, and EIU is his dream job, he is going no where. He started at Upper Iowa, then moved to UNI, when they dropped the program, he moved to S. Illinois I believe before EIU hired him.
He has won everywhere he has coached and was 2nd in line for the job when they hired the guy before him.

Now with ISU and UNI not having teams, he can bring in the best players from Iowa without any competition, and continue to build up the program. It also helps that every other school in the conference, has the same weather conditions, no school gets an advantage by playing in warmer weather than the rest of the conference. It comes done to talent and coaching, not whether is snowing or not.

It was Indiana State between UNI and Iowa.

I went to elementary/high school with Rick, played Babe Ruth baseball and high school football/baseball with him. He’s a good dude, and a coaching career in sports is, like, his dream job.

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE