Help Me Like Beer

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'm looking for some help figuring out beers to like. I started out drinking rum and cokes, and pretty much only drank that. Then I started drinking Lime-A-Ritas as it gave me something in a can that I could drink. When I go out to a bar though most places don't have Lime-A-Ritas (at least that I have seen never actually asked). I end up drinking only rum and cokes, but I drink slowly so I never end up finishing them because they get watered down. I have tried a couple different kinds, like Bud Light Lime, but I don't think I've really given them enough of a chance.

Do you have suggestions for ones I should try? I'm looking for something not to out there as I want to be able to get it at a bar.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Just work your way down the taps until you find something you like.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
If it has any variation of the words lite or light don't drink it. Me I can't handle a rum and coke but I'd suggest starting with a wheat beer like boulevard and work into it from there.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm looking for some help figuring out beers to like. I started out drinking rum and cokes, and pretty much only drank that. Then I started drinking Lime-A-Ritas as it gave me something in a can that I could drink. When I go out to a bar though most places don't have Lime-A-Ritas (at least that I have seen never actually asked). I end up drinking only rum and cokes, but I drink slowly so I never end up finishing them because they get watered down. I have tried a couple different kinds, like Bud Light Lime, but I don't think I've really given them enough of a chance.

Do you have suggestions for ones I should try? I'm looking for something not to out there as I want to be able to get it at a bar.

For my own curiousity, if you currently don't like beer why do you feel a need to start liking it?

I have never liked beer and have no desire to like it. On the rare occasion I have a drink I stick to jack and coke or long island ice teas.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Maybe try Blue Moon or Shock Top? The original kind, not any of the fruited up kind or different flavors. I have a hard time calling anything that has fruit in it a "true" beer. Not that I don't enjoy beer that has been fruited.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Try a really light beer that is light on taste and bitterness, like a Coors Light or something. All of the flavored beers will just expose you to be mocked. Cold light beers are pretty palatable. Another option is to go English and mix a shandy which is a regular ale with ginger ale (or Sprite/7-UP). Don't buy or drink the **** they bottle as "shandy", you have to mix it yourself or ask the bartender to mix a shandy.

Teen Boxster didn't like beer in 1969 but someone had some cold Coors and on a hot summer night in small town Iowa I thought this ain't bad.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
attachment.php

Attachments

• faedda05ace769536a6639dd3659ef4e91d6300b03d6c70f17a3193e54c6d338.jpg
    faedda05ace769536a6639dd3659ef4e91d6300b03d6c70f17a3193e54c6d338.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 811

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
For my own curiousity, if you currently don't like beer why do you feel a need to start liking it?

I have never liked beer and have no desire to like it. On the rare occasion I have a drink I stick to jack and coke or long island ice teas.
When I go to a bar with friends I don't want to be stuck with one thing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Maybe try Blue Moon or Shock Top? The original kind

This. Original Blue Moon or Shock Top (without the orange slice). Smooth, tasty, and without the bitterness or aftertaste of most beers Plus, Blue Moon seems to be everywhere these days.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
I didn't like beer either until my freshman year at Ames. It was there that I developed a deep abiding love of the nectar of the gods.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
If it has any variation of the words lite or light don't drink it. Me I can't handle a rum and coke but I'd suggest starting with a wheat beer like boulevard and work into it from there.

That seems like a horrible idea for someone who doesn't like beer to throw them to a wheat beer.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

I hated beer for a long time before spending a lot of time in Minnesota in my early 20s. I started drinking beer because I found one that was pretty tame as far as the flavor profiles (insert light beer joke), and it was only sold around Minnesota at the time. It was Michelob Golden Light. Now I don't drink anything else but beer. I try to sample as many different ones as possible, and that's really where you begin to figure out what you like and what you don't. Everyone's preference is different.

Last edited:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
You have to pick a real hot day to do some hard work. Ice down a domestic brew until its COLD cold. Once you're sweaty and really thirsty, pop the top and take a big drink. You'll realize that beer is pretty damm good.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
When I first started out I wanted beer to be as watery as possible. The ones I suggest have all been mentioned (Bud Light, Coors Light, Mich golden Light) with the exception of Moosehead. Make sure the beers are ice cold and don't feel like you have to drink every last drop until you learn to enjoy the flavor. The last couple of drinks can be pretty flat and lukewarm.

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Maybe try those hard root beer drinks idk. Most places seem to have those now.

I'm glad I love beer.