Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
tumblr_n1qdn47uJv1s2wio8o1_400.gif

Reactions: CYCLNST8

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
That's cute. I remember when I had my first beer. Mix and match at Hy-Vee. Get six different kinds for the price of one six packs. If you don't find anything you like, go back and try again. The Urbandale location has the best selection of mix and match but any will do since you haven't tried much yet.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That seems like a horrible idea for someone who doesn't like beer to throw them to a wheat beer.

I disagree. I find wheats, especially one like Boulevard, to be a pretty easy entry point into beer, without going the traditional Bud/Miller/Coors route. Boulevard is easy to drink, with very little bitterness. And most beer snobs won't look down their noses at you for drinking it. It's pretty tame, I think.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
You have to pick a real hot day to do some hard work. Ice down a domestic brew until its COLD cold. Once you're sweaty and really thirsty, pop the top and take a big drink. You'll realize that beer is pretty damm good.

This is very true, doesn't necessarily help with the out at the bar with friends scenario, though.

I would echo those suggesting wheat beers like blue moon/Boulevard. I would even go as far to suggest a fruity one like summer shandy or something similar. I mean if he's currently rocking lime-a-ritas, a summer shandy is at least a step up from that.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I disagree. I find wheats, especially one like Boulevard, to be a pretty easy entry point into beer, without going the traditional Bud/Miller/Coors route. Boulevard is easy to drink, with very little bitterness. And most beer snobs won't look down their noses at you for drinking it. It's pretty tame, I think.
Agreed. Wheat beers have tons of flavor but none of the bitterness. To me that's a no brainer for a new beer drinker

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'm looking for some help figuring out beers to like. I started out drinking rum and cokes, and pretty much only drank that. Then I started drinking Lime-A-Ritas as it gave me something in a can that I could drink. When I go out to a bar though most places don't have Lime-A-Ritas (at least that I have seen never actually asked). I end up drinking only rum and cokes, but I drink slowly so I never end up finishing them because they get watered down. I have tried a couple different kinds, like Bud Light Lime, but I don't think I've really given them enough of a chance.

Do you have suggestions for ones I should try? I'm looking for something not to out there as I want to be able to get it at a bar.

Like others have said, something like Blue Moon is fairly mellow....this sounds dumb, but grab one after mowing the lawn or other warmer summer activity.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
It's really just trying them until you find what you like. I had never been a beer drinker, primarily just bourbon, but I found in recent years that I really enjoy drinking quite a few of the stouts some ambers that are out there. I had always stopped before I had gotten to the darker beers because it's always recommended to start light. I just figured if I didn't enjoy those, I would never have the taste for beer, period. I just can't seem to enjoy your typical IPAs, wheats like Boulevard, or even the typical Bud/Coors/Miller.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

Boulevard is what got me into beers. Up until that point I'd only had the usual crappy beers the underage kids drink. I tried some Boulevard wheat and that opened me to try other styles. Now I'm mostly a stout drinker but I still keep some Boulevard around because it's still a favorite.

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
Had no idea how to help so I Googled it:

first hit was:

http://www.thekitchn.com/beers-for-all-5-beers-for-peop-139297

I haven't tried #2 or #3 but like the others:

1. Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj - If you've only ever sipped big name beers like Budweiser and Miller, this is the beer to try. Pilsner Urquell is THE original pilsner, and it has a sweet mellow flavor (almost like biscuits) with light spicy-citrusy hops. (Also try: Prima Pils from Victory Brewing and Lagunita Pils from Lagunitas Brewing Company)
2. Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb from Paulaner - Hefeweizens are a great starter beer in general, and this is one of the best. This ale is characterized by sweet banana and clove flavors with a creamy, luscious mouthfeel and a crisp finish. (Also try: Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company)
3. Peach (Pêche) Lambic from Lindemans - This is like a ripe summer peach in fizzy beer form. It's deliciously fruity with a nice sour edge. (Also try: Lindemans Raspberry/Framboise Lambic and Cantillon Cherry/Kriek)
4. Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery - Roasted nut and buttery caramel are the lead flavors here. This is a good one to try if you're not a fan of bitterness in beer. (Also try: Newcastle Brown Ale and Old Brown Dog Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company
5. Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company - This is proof that dark beers don't have to be bitter or burnt-tasting. This milk stout tastes like silky espresso poured over ice and swirled with cream. (Also try: Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

There is an easy solution to this...learn not to give a **** what beer snobs think.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Wow, I thought this was a troll thread. Honestly, if you don't like beer you are probably better off. It'll save you a bunch of money, brain cells, and calories in the long run

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Give hard cider a try. Woodchuck and Redds are solid choices. Somebody also mentioned the hard root beer which is pretty prevalent at bars now too. It may not be beer but it will give you some variety to your drinks while you're at a bar.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There is an easy solution to this...learn not to give a **** what beer snobs think.

Truly. But, let's not act like it isn't a thing, especially for someone just getting into beer and isn't sure what he likes. An a-hole beer snob can make it difficult to get your feet wet.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Agreed. Wheat beers have tons of flavor but none of the bitterness. To me that's a no brainer for a new beer drinker

This reminds me...went to brewpub in town with MIL and FIL when they were visiting from out of state. They were busy chatting and weren't ready when the server came to get drink orders, which is okay, but then they were all stressed because they weren't ready. I said they should get the wheat, knowing their tastes (Michelob Ultra is in their fridge...They're not in the deep end of beer flavor profiles) They hemmed and hawwed, I think MIL got a pilsner, thinking it was going to be a bud light, FIL got the wheat. Knowing the brewery, their pils is a traditional pils, so it's hoppier than a BL. I figured I'd end up drinking it. Was correct, but the part that I'll never forget is that when she ordered a replacement beer (again, I was recommending the wheat) she asked the server what she'd recommend, and that "I don't like all that....<face scrunch>...flavor that they have in some beers". Yeah...damn flavor in my beer anyway...what do these hoity-toity places think they are with all the flavor-putting-inning and stuff?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This reminds me...went to brewpub in town with MIL and FIL when they were visiting from out of state. They were busy chatting and weren't ready when the server came to get drink orders, which is okay, but then they were all stressed because they weren't ready. I said they should get the wheat, knowing their tastes (Michelob Ultra is in their fridge...They're not in the deep end of beer flavor profiles) They hemmed and hawwed, I think MIL got a pilsner, thinking it was going to be a bud light, FIL got the wheat. Knowing the brewery, their pils is a traditional pils, so it's hoppier than a BL. I figured I'd end up drinking it. Was correct, but the part that I'll never forget is that when she ordered a replacement beer (again, I was recommending the wheat) she asked the server what she'd recommend, and that "I don't like all that....<face scrunch>...flavor that they have in some beers". Yeah...damn flavor in my beer anyway...what do these hoity-toity places think they are with all the flavor-putting-inning and stuff?

Yuck, flavor. Why can't my beer just taste like water someone spilled some beer in?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
To the OP, though...I'd also add on the wheat, or a good Hefeweizen as some have recommended...the google hit post a while back is pretty good. The Lindemann's Peach Lambic would be good, but be careful, stepping even a little off that island will put you deep into sour beers, which can be shocking for a novice. The Lindemann's are all fairly sweet, but Lambic's in general can hit you off guard if you aren't expecting it. I don't recommend Pilsner Urquell in a bottle, the green bottles and long shelf time tend to lead to skunkiness.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron