Help Me Like Beer

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Start with pilsners and lagers. Work up the chain to more hops/flavor until you find you sweet spot. After lagers I'd suggest the following progression. Wheats , Hefenwiezens, bocks, pale ales, porters, oatmeal stouts, IPAs, and stouts.

Most places serving on tap will give you a sample. Ordering a flight is also a good way to find beers you like or don;t like. Unless you find yourself a big fan of hops stay away from IPAs and Pale Ales. Despite their popularity they are an acquired taste.

Was just going to state the same thing. Most breweries will let you sample a "flight" of 4 - 6 different beers, usually starting with the lightest going to the darkest. Most people can find a beer type that they like in that grouping. Like most folks, I didn't particularly care for beer when I first tried it. It's just one of those things that the more you try it, the more you like it. One of my biggest joys now is to stop in at Boone Valley Brewery and see what's new. They just tapped a Maibock which is quite yummy.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That's solid advice. Because whatever you have second will taste like the greatest thing ever.

Serious advice I'd find a brewfest somewhere where you can sample a lot of different varieties and find what you like. There's so many choices out there now there has to be one on you enjoy.

Go find a brewpub and do some flights... You like what you like. i HATE IPAs and living in the NW it's basically a sin. I won't/can't drink lite beers (you like what you like) but love everything considered an amber.

Beers are getting TOO into themselves lately and all the new ones have to differentiate themselves by doing something different - peppers, extra hops, fruit, nun sweat - when "beer" is good in and of itself.

In the end - it is merely a delivery vehicle for alcohol.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Go find a brewpub and do some flights... You like what you like. i HATE IPAs and living in the NW it's basically a sin. I won't/can't drink lite beers (you like what you like) but love everything considered an amber.

Beers are getting TOO into themselves lately and all the new ones have to differentiate themselves by doing something different - peppers, extra hops, fruit, nun sweat - when "beer" is good in and of itself.

In the end - it is merely a delivery vehicle for alcohol.

IMO, one of the best tasting beers comes from the oldest brewery in the country - Yuengling beer is just pretty damn good. The only problem is, I have to have a buddy bring some back when he goes out east.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
IMO, one of the best tasting beers comes from the oldest brewery in the country - Yuengling beer is just pretty damn good. The only problem is, I have to have a buddy bring some back when he goes out east.

I do like that stuff. I got spoiled traveling out east a couple summers back and spent half the summer in east Tennessee where it was on tap a lot of places.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm looking for some help figuring out beers to like. I started out drinking rum and cokes, and pretty much only drank that. Then I started drinking Lime-A-Ritas as it gave me something in a can that I could drink. When I go out to a bar though most places don't have Lime-A-Ritas (at least that I have seen never actually asked). I end up drinking only rum and cokes, but I drink slowly so I never end up finishing them because they get watered down. I have tried a couple different kinds, like Bud Light Lime, but I don't think I've really given them enough of a chance.

Do you have suggestions for ones I should try? I'm looking for something not to out there as I want to be able to get it at a bar.

Not a regular drinker (used to be), but I really like the various types of Sam Adams (regular, light, summer ale). Interesting tastes.

Creed11

Jun 13, 2011
Ames
tumblr_nrjoflFeCq1s741dxo7_1280.png

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
If you don't like beer then try some of these alternatives.

Bud Light - resembles beer but without the beer taste. Beware of hangovers laced with diarrhea.

Newcastle Brown Ale - very mellow for an ale. And it comes in a clear bottle so people will think you're a complete hard a*$ for drinking a dark beer.

7&7 - This is seagrams 7 whiskey and 7up. Sweet tasting, but if anyone asks you what you're drinking you get to say whiskey.

Smirnoff - the man's wine cooler. Original flavor only, never go fruit punch.

Redd's Apple Ale - Looks just like beer if you put it in a coozie. I drink these at the beach and have yet to be ridiculed.

Stay away from anything that says "hard" or "wicked." It's pretty lame holding a bottle that is going out of its way to explain to everyone that it's really a man's drink.

Hope this helps!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Drink what YOU like. Those that make fun of you probably are concerned that their wanker is smaller.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Yuengling on tap at a dive bar in Bayview Idaho in the middle of the summer in the sweaty clear plastic cups is a great memory I make many times during the summer.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If you don't like beer then try some of these alternatives.

Bud Light - resembles beer but without the beer taste. Beware of hangovers laced with diarrhea.

Newcastle Brown Ale - very mellow for an ale. And it comes in a clear bottle so people will think you're a complete hard a*$ for drinking a dark beer.

7&7 - This is seagrams 7 whiskey and 7up. Sweet tasting, but if anyone asks you what you're drinking you get to say whiskey.

Smirnoff - the man's wine cooler. Original flavor only, never go fruit punch.

Redd's Apple Ale - Looks just like beer if you put it in a coozie. I drink these at the beach and have yet to be ridiculed.

Stay away from anything that says "hard" or "wicked." It's pretty lame holding a bottle that is going out of its way to explain to everyone that it's really a man's drink.

Hope this helps!

I drink a cosmo from time to time and the secret to a man drinking a cosmo is either lots and lots of estrogen, or OWNING THE FRIGGIN DRINK! YEAH - I'm drinking a cosmo. YEAH - it's in a decorative glass. And YEAH - these are fancy straws BUT I STAND UP TO P DADGUMMIT!

Honestly I rarely stand... Any "alone" time is special.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
After like the 4th beer, it doesn't really matter what it tastes like

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
If you don't like beer don't drink it and if someone gives you a hard to tell them to STFU. I love hard cider. Angry Orchard is available most places but I have had many others and have liked most of them. Smirnoff Ice is good. I also like Hard Mikes.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
Playing drinking games like flip cup or beer pong help you acquire they taste for beer. You have no choice but to chug it over and over again.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Grain Belt would be a good one to start with.

The beer snobs will say stay away from the mainstream lites but those are probably the easiest to get used the the beer taste on then go from there to different stuff.

Unless Grain Belt has changed that's just mean. It was Nasty in the 80's.