Help Me Like Beer

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Rum&coke and bud limes are not the way to go through life. I recommend vodka&pineapple juice to expand your liquor drinking. Then start expanding your beer horizon with mixer packs of microbrews.

Realistically though you don't seem like a drinker. Try weed, not that mexican brick garbage, ask around for the good stuff. Drive to Denver if you have to and go on a mental space ship ride.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The first time I had beer with the intention of drinking the whole thing, I was 12 and had just finished building a bin. It was about 90 degrees out, and it was a Busch Light.

Absolute euphoria, from Jump Street. It was delicious, refreshing, and most importantly, intoxicating.

so go work like a dog and then drink something cheap and light and you'll be hooked unless you're a real Sally

Last edited:

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I wish I didnt like beer because of the calories and I drink a lot of them. If you dont like the taste of beer, dont force yourself to drink it or find something you like. Id order a double rum and coke but only double the pop. Maybe then you would drink it faster.

Only benefit of beer over liquor is portability.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 129

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
The first time I had beer with the intention of drinking the whole thing, I was 12 and had just finished building a bin. It was about 90 degrees out, and it was a Busch Light.

Absolute euphoria, from Jump Street. It was delicious, refreshing, and most importantly, intoxicating.

so go work like a dog and then drink something cheap and light and you'll be hooked unless you're a real Sally

Thats funny, similar story. My first beer was with some friends after tarring a roof. So this license plate factory needed resurfacing, and they needed a dozen volunteers for a weeks work.......My friends and I were use to working indoors and this was outdoor work and in May, and May is one fine month to be working outdoors. Problem was we had to volunteer and over 100 men volunteered. Luckily, we bribed the guy and got the work, only cost a pack a smokes per man. So were working, and next thing you know our buddy offers one of the guys in charge some free tax advice, saves him thousands. Traded that for some beers as we werent allowed beer. Working outdoors, you feel more like a man if you can have a bottle of suds. And thats how it came to pass, that on the 2nd to last day of the job, the crew that tarred the plate factory roof in the spring of 49, wound up sitting in a row at 10am in the morning, drinking icy cold bohemian style beer. We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulder and felt like free men, hell we could have been tarring the roof of one of our houses, we were the lords of all creation.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Beer doesn't taste good.

Why do I drink?

Because it has alcohol.

This. Others would tell you otherwise, but no one would be drinking a beer if it didn't get you drunk. You develope a taste for it over time, but it is not a naturally good taste. Same goes for coffee. I love both of them now, but if it wasn't for the effect I would never have started drinking either of them.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Do you like coffee? If so, a stout or porter might not be a huge stretch. A lot of oatmeal stouts are relatively mild on hop flavor.

Otherwise I concur with previous advice to try some wheats or hefeweizens. COLD cold boulevard wheat with lemon is where is start. I prefer boulevard personally, but goose island 312 wheat is also similarly inoffensive.

Hefeweizen (half wheat) is brewed with part wheat and part barley. I'm probably not the best to make specific recs of hefes as I don't drink them much. Franziskaner is probably one of the most readily available, but has a bit of a different flavor so you may love it or hate it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Unless Grain Belt has changed that's just mean. It was Nasty in the 80's.
It has changed. It's brewed by Schell's now and it's no longer terrible. It's not exactly a craft beer but it compares favorably to Bud Light, Miller Light...

Rather

Jul 21, 2014
Just force it. Every day. Start in the AM. Drink to intoxication and then cure the hangover with more booze. Soon your body will craved it and it will all taste good.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Lots of good advice on here...I'd try the mix and match thing so you can try different styles and see what you like...

As for the Blue Moon recommendations, I know a lot of beer drinkers who won't touch that stuff because the coriander flavor throws them off...so you may want to watch out for that if you try it.

If you like Lime-a-ritas then you should try Boulevard Wheat (like many have suggested) and put a slice of lemon in it...there's nothing better on a hot summer day/night.
I'm not big on Blue Moon because of the aftertaste. Same for any Belgian beer.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It has changed. It's brewed by Schell's now and it's no longer terrible. It's not exactly a craft beer but it compares favorably to Bud Light, Miller Light...

Most at that I know who drink it drink nordester. It's a heavier grain belt. I think it still sucks, but cold it is drinkable. Then again I don't like beer that much. I roll with Guinness when I can.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Thats funny, similar story. My first beer was with some friends after tarring a roof. So this license plate factory needed resurfacing, and they needed a dozen volunteers for a weeks work.......My friends and I were use to working indoors and this was outdoor work and in May, and May is one fine month to be working outdoors. Problem was we had to volunteer and over 100 men volunteered. Luckily, we bribed the guy and got the work, only cost a pack a smokes per man. So were working, and next thing you know our buddy offers one of the guys in charge some free tax advice, saves him thousands. Traded that for some beers as we werent allowed beer. Working outdoors, you feel more like a man if you can have a bottle of suds. And thats how it came to pass, that on the 2nd to last day of the job, the crew that tarred the plate factory roof in the spring of 49, wound up sitting in a row at 10am in the morning, drinking icy cold bohemian style beer. We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulder and felt like free men, hell we could have been tarring the roof of one of our houses, we were the lords of all creation.

I'll bet that sounded funnier in your head. Problem is, the world hit peak Shawshank quite a while ago. Doesn't have the same oomph anymore.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Most at that I know who drink it drink nordester. It's a heavier grain belt. I think it still sucks, but cold it is drinkable. Then again I don't like beer that much. I roll with Guinness when I can.
I actually like the Nordeast. It doesn't have the full-bodied flavor of the Reds, Ambers and IPA's that I love. However, when compared to the other beers at a similar price point it is right near the top in my book.