Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
just go for it
Rmqy3uz.gif

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I remember the first beer I actually enjoyed. It wasn't until I was 22. Prior to that, I was just chugging light beers to get wasted. You need to play the field a bit until you find a woman you're actually compatible with. I met my first love one summer afternoon in gramma's fridge: Miller High Life. I still love her, but we have an open relationship. I now love many women. I mean beers.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It depends on why you don't like beer? Do you find it too bitter? If so, you may not like hops. But might be fine with maltier offerings. My wife is this way, likes stouts, porters, etc but not IPA's in the least. Some stouts are too bitter for her, so it's more complicated than that.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Lots of good advice on here...I'd try the mix and match thing so you can try different styles and see what you like...

As for the Blue Moon recommendations, I know a lot of beer drinkers who won't touch that stuff because the coriander flavor throws them off...so you may want to watch out for that if you try it.

If you like Lime-a-ritas then you should try Boulevard Wheat (like many have suggested) and put a slice of lemon in it...there's nothing better on a hot summer day/night.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Lots of good advice on here...I'd try the mix and match thing so you can try different styles and see what you like...

As for the Blue Moon recommendations, I know a lot of beer drinkers who won't touch that stuff because the coriander flavor throws them off...so you may want to watch out for that if you try it.

If you like Lime-a-ritas then you should try Boulevard Wheat (like many have suggested) and put a slice of lemon in it...there's nothing better on a hot summer day/night.

Or you could squeeze an actual lime slice into a bottle of Dos Equis to go along with your fish tacos at the beach.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Truly. But, let's not act like it isn't a thing, especially for someone just getting into beer and isn't sure what he likes. An a-hole beer snob can make it difficult to get your feet wet.

Moral of the story, don't go drinking with Janny.

(Sorry, you teed it up for me)

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Grain Belt would be a good one to start with.

The beer snobs will say stay away from the mainstream lites but those are probably the easiest to get used the the beer taste on then go from there to different stuff.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Start with Old English.

That's solid advice. Because whatever you have second will taste like the greatest thing ever.

Serious advice I'd find a brewfest somewhere where you can sample a lot of different varieties and find what you like. There's so many choices out there now there has to be one on you enjoy.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Moral of the story, don't go drinking with Janny.

(Sorry, you teed it up for me)

I did set you up. But no, I don't think I would do that to a person who was just starting to get into beer. I might give some lighthearted grief if someone ordered a bud-light or something similar, but nothing too rough.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Start with pilsners and lagers. Work up the chain to more hops/flavor until you find you sweet spot. After lagers I'd suggest the following progression. Wheats , Hefenwiezens, bocks, pale ales, porters, oatmeal stouts, IPAs, and stouts.

Most places serving on tap will give you a sample. Ordering a flight is also a good way to find beers you like or don;t like. Unless you find yourself a big fan of hops stay away from IPAs and Pale Ales. Despite their popularity they are an acquired taste.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Start with pilsners and lagers. Work up the chain to more hops/flavor until you find you sweet spot. After lagers I'd suggest the following progression. Wheats , Hefenwiezens, bocks, pale ales, porters, oatmeal stouts, IPAs, and stouts.

Most places serving on tap will give you a sample. Ordering a flight is also a good way to find beers you like or don;t like. Unless you find yourself a big fan of hops stay away from IPAs and Pale Ales. Despite their popularity they are an acquired taste.
Homer_drool.gif

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

One thing I'd say is that be careful with flights. With the teeny tiny glass, people tend to take a little sip. With hoppy beers, sipping really isolates the bitter hops. You have to take a good drink (don't have to chug) to get the true flavor. Enough that the whole tongue is tasting at once to get all of the flavors.