Here comes the doomsday thread, sorry

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
But even then, if there’s no limit on spending even the lower half of the haves aren’t going to actually compete.
What you'll see is the Big 12 and ACC get a couple guaranteed playoff spots, but never win the natty (like it is now).

The bottom 2/3rds of the Big 10 and SEC will have no shot either (like it is now).

This wouldn't be THAT different in practice.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
If Iowa State isn't involved, I just don't give a **** when it comes to college sports. I've actually become pretty meh on the whole Iowa State thing in reality. I used to give my simple donation, buy my season tickets and have a good time at the games. Now it seems like it's just a constant barrage of how I need to give more money for this, more money for that and being told I'm not doing enough. I'm more concerned about paying for one daughter at ISU and one at Loyola than I am about giving a more money to the AD/NIL so we can keep players.

Don't get me wrong, I want ISU to succeed, but reality is, I'm already throwing a ton of money at college and I want to make sure my daughters are happy and have the resources they need before I get concerned with throwing more money at college athletics that my kids aren't involved in.

College athletics have really lost their shine since my kids have gotten older and other priorities have taken over my life. The B1G and SEC can do whatever they want and just like the last 10 years, I still won't watch many of their games.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
What you'll see is the Big 12 and ACC get a couple guaranteed playoff spots, but never win the natty (like it is now).

The bottom 2/3rds of the Big 10 and SEC will have no shot either (like it is now).

This wouldn't be THAT different in practice.
My only hope is they reorganize to regional divisions that would be an improvement. But like you said the rest will be the same. 6-8 teams with a chance at a championship and everyone else

Reactions: PickSix

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yes I think ISU can make this cut. If you’re looking at $15K per athlete, that’s about $6M/year. Which should be doable with our current budget. That’s about 5% of our annual budget. We can find that money from somewhere.

I don’t think this prevents an eventual Super League though. The B12, ACC, have-nots of B10/SEC need to remain competitive to avoid the creation of a Super League
Many on here are much smarter than I am when it comes to Iowa State’s finances so help me out if you can.

If you are JP, don’t you have to look at what the repercussions of not doing everything you can to get into this? You will have to spend more but not investing more in athletics in this climate could cause ripples throughout the entire university.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Many on here are much smarter than I am when it comes to Iowa State’s finances so help me out if you can.

If you are JP, don’t you have to look at what the repercussions of not doing everything you can to get into this? You will have to spend more but not investing more in athletics in this climate could cause ripples throughout the entire university.
We have no choice but to participate. The ramifications of being on the outside looking in are too detrimental to the university

• Winner
Reactions: helechopper

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Our poverty is exaggerated almost to the point of absurdity.
The doomsday preppers on this are worried too much. Most of the P5 programs can afford this change. Also we can talk about how NIL and pay for play will hurt viewers. The proof is the opposite. Numbers are up across the board with college football. Ironically the PAC 12 championship/ last game as a league had their highest viewership football game in conference history.

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
If Iowa State isn't involved, I just don't give a **** when it comes to college sports. I've actually become pretty meh on the whole Iowa State thing in reality. I used to give my simple donation, buy my season tickets and have a good time at the games. Now it seems like it's just a constant barrage of how I need to give more money for this, more money for that and being told I'm not doing enough. I'm more concerned about paying for one daughter at ISU and one at Loyola than I am about giving a more money to the AD/NIL so we can keep players.

Don't get me wrong, I want ISU to succeed, but reality is, I'm already throwing a ton of money at college and I want to make sure my daughters are happy and have the resources they need before I get concerned with throwing more money at college athletics that my kids aren't involved in.

College athletics have really lost their shine since my kids have gotten older and other priorities have taken over my life. The B1G and SEC can do whatever they want and just like the last 10 years, I still won't watch many of their games.

I've said the same thing before and was told bascially "if you want ISU to succeed you need to give so we can match other programs." I pay for cable/streaming, I pay for ESPN+, I pay my cyclone club donation, I pay for season football tickets, and we buy hundreds worth of merch every year for the family.

What I spend and what I'm getting isn't matching up. Yes, Iowa State is better than 20 years ago, but colelge football as a whole is still 22 players on a field. The massive expense costs fans more and more money but the product doens't ever change. What's the value-add for consumers?

I don't know why the USA hates this idea so much, but the NFL succeeds BECAUSE it has revenue sharing and salary caps. Until college football has the same thing it will continue to cost more for the same product

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Built in fanbases.

This super league would make money, but I think it will make less money than it does now. The entire theory rides on the idea that the same number of people will watch all of these games, but the proceeds are split fewer ways.

If you eliminate 2/3rds of the current major programs from being allowed to participate, their fans aren't going to tune into the teams in the top division as much as they currently do. This will drive down ad revenue.

I think this is what will happen if they do go full Super League and just exclude everybody else. The reason I cared about Texas and Oklahoma is because they were in Iowa State’s conference and we got to play them every year. When we have a particularly good year, there are stakes to those games.

If a Super League happens, some fans of schools like Iowa St, Arizona, Minnesota, Miss St, etc will pay attention. But I guarantee that a not insignificant percent of fans of such schools will just not watch. Personally, I’ll aggressively ignore a Super Conf that breaks away and sequesters itself from the rest of CFB because they deem themselves elite.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: clone1480

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
This isn’t a super league though the way it is being described and honestly it isn’t even a change from what is happening now, it’s just putting the P4 in a separate category so they don’t have to pay for bowls/playoff spots for the G5
Yep agreed. It is an attempt for the NCAA to remain relevant imo. In a way it is laying the groundwork for a Super League in the future (establishing a new threshold for resources that would apply to top 20-25 richest programs)

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

Yeah I think we do need to do what we have to, to get into this higher league. It’s “only” 5% of our current annual budget to meet the minimum requirement.

Once it becomes untenable to do so (whatever a threshold would be to isolate the top 20-25 programs) then we could look at dropping down. But too many other of our peer institutions meet this specific resource threshold, that if we didn’t gain entry to this, we risk falling to a G5 level of resources

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I've said the same thing before and was told bascially "if you want ISU to succeed you need to give so we can match other programs." I pay for cable/streaming, I pay for ESPN+, I pay my cyclone club donation, I pay for season football tickets, and we buy hundreds worth of merch every year for the family.

What I spend and what I'm getting isn't matching up. Yes, Iowa State is better than 20 years ago, but colelge football as a whole is still 22 players on a field. The massive expense costs fans more and more money but the product doens't ever change. What's the value-add for consumers?

I don't know why the USA hates this idea so much, but the NFL succeeds BECAUSE it has revenue sharing and salary caps. Until college football has the same thing it will continue to cost more for the same product
Those involved (NCAA cronies, coaches, admins, players, etc) want money, and more money, and giving up any money is not an option. And who can blame them? So those not involved pay it all and there is zero incentive to cut or even minimize costs.

Somewhat related, I had a German colleague attend a ISU FB game with me this year. They enjoyed it. Their biggest question was, "why doesnt the stadium seats have cup holders?" The answer as always was simple "the fans pay the money, they don't get (the benefit of) the money"

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Yep agreed. It is an attempt for the NCAA to remain relevant imo. In a way it is laying the groundwork for a Super League in the future (establishing a new threshold for resources that would apply to top 20-25 richest programs)
I personally have always said that you won’t see a super league because you cut off way to many people from watching your product so I don’t think a 20 team league will happen in the near future. It just dilutes the viewership too much

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Schools winning at high levels in football and basketball help their enrollment as well. Baylor and TCU are prime examples of this in our own conference. (increase of 7 - 8%, known as the Flutie effect)

Reactions: PickSix