Hey Millennials, want to feel old?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's funny, I've seen countless members of older generations complaining about millennials/younger preventing blazing saddles from being made again.. and yet,I've seen few, if any, younger people complaining about blazing saddles.

Millennials were the teenagers who made movies like tropic thunder popular, too.

The whole "you can't make blazing saddles anymore!" crowd seems to be the same as the "you all want participation trophies!" crowd.. neither are really an accurate representation of millennials.

Now The Jerk… that one might have trouble getting off the ground.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It's funny, I've seen countless members of older generations complaining about millennials/younger preventing blazing saddles from being made again.. and yet,I've seen few, if any, younger people complaining about blazing saddles.

Millennials were the teenagers who made movies like tropic thunder popular, too.

The whole "you can't make blazing saddles anymore!" crowd seems to be the same as the "you all want participation trophies!" crowd.. neither are really an accurate representation of millennials.

Every generation has their whiney bit$#es.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Pet peeve is when boomers ***** about "millennials" that are graduating high school today don't want to work anymore.

I'm 38 dude. And your boss.

It never changes. I'm Gen X and we we called all sorts of names by the older generations. "Slackers"!!

FancyRex

Jan 19, 2023
I'm exhausted from all the businesses I killed in my teens/20s. Why do you have to throw this at me now?

Reactions: crs8975

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

This might be because very few millennials have seen blazing saddles, maybe they caught part on Comedy Central but I don’t know of too many people who have seen it.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
This might be because very few millennials have seen blazing saddles, maybe they caught part on Comedy Central but I don’t know of too many people who have seen it.
It's hilarious! It's an old mel brooks movie that's a spoof of westerns. I love the movie, actually.

People like to use Blazing Saddles as an example of a movie that would be "cancelled" today, or a movie that would never be made today.

The problem is that it's not actually a movie that socially conscious folks even have an actual issue with.. MOST of the jokes in Blazing Saddles, even if they use racy language (for the time), are at the expense of dumb white people.

The whole point of the vast majority of the comedy in the movie is that racism is incredibly stupid, and people who are racist are incredibly stupid, and the jokes laugh at those people.

Obviously there are SOME scenes or lines that haven't aged incredibly well, but as a whole, the movie is generally viewed very positively.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's hilarious! It's an old mel brooks movie that's a spoof of westerns. I love the movie, actually.

People like to use Blazing Saddles as an example of a movie that would be "cancelled" today, or a movie that would never be made today.

The problem is that it's not actually a movie that socially conscious folks even have an actual issue with.. MOST of the jokes in Blazing Saddles, even if they use racy language (for the time), are at the expense of dumb white people.

The whole point of the vast majority of the comedy in the movie is that racism is incredibly stupid, and people who are racist are incredibly stupid, and the jokes laugh at those people.

Obviously there are SOME scenes or lines that haven't aged incredibly well, but as a whole, the movie is generally viewed very positively.
Movie studios have become so risk averse to racially taboo subject matter that they wouldn't make a movie like that today. I agree that most millennials wouldn't really care, but small groups have a loud voice today and the entertainment industry in general just doesn't want to deal with it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Satire seems to be a concept lost to many nowadays.

• Winner
Reactions: 20eyes

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022

I believe there is a division in the "millennial" generation. Probably around those born before or after 1990.

Those of us born before 1990 spent a good portion of our formidable years growing up without home computers, cell phones, and internet technologies at our fingertips. We just had the beginning of these luxuries as we were growing into adults.

Those born after 1990 grew up using the internet for their homework research. Had cell phones available to keep in touch with each other at an early age, and basically always had computers in house.

I think this vast difference in how we were able to communicate and explore the world has given the generation two different perspective to the world and what is acceptable or expected.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I believe there is a division in the "millennial" generation. Probably around those born before or after 1990.

Those of us born before 1990 spent a good portion of our formidable years growing up without home computers, cell phones, and internet technologies at our fingertips. We just had the beginning of these luxuries as we were growing into adults.

Those born after 1990 grew up using the internet for their homework research. Had cell phones available to keep in touch with each other at an early age, and basically always had computers in house.

I think this vast difference in how we were able to communicate and explore the world has given the generation two different perspective to the world and what is acceptable or expected.
I'm a later millennial, born in the early 90s.

Home computers and internet were definitely a thing for us, but not until around middle school-ish. We were young enough to have computer class, but old enough to also remember life before internet. At least, that was my experience.. maybe my family were late adopters.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I was born in the mid-80s. Those is us in that group are in a transitional generation. While technically millennials, we are actually part Gen X, part millennial. I’ve heard us referred to as “The Oregon Trail Generation.”

In my case, I grew up knowing how to use a rotary phone. And I’m old enough to remember what life was like before cell phones and the internet. However, we got those things when I was in my formative years so I had them at an early age, as well.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a later millennial, born in the early 90s.

Home computers and internet were definitely a thing for us, but not until around middle school-ish. We were young enough to have computer class, but old enough to also remember life before internet. At least, that was my experience.. maybe my family were late adopters.
I’m sure this largely depends on where you grew up, too. In small-town Iowa, we didn’t get the internet until I was in middle school. That was at least two years after it really became a thing nationally.

Cell phones were pretty ubiquitous before I got my own at age 16.