NBA: Hoiberg - Bulls

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
When I watch most NBA games I struggle to see any coaching impact. There are a handful of teams I see where you see some sort of scheme coming through, but for the most part it seems like 5 dudes doing whatever they want.

I agree. About the only thing they do is make substitutions and design late game or out-of-bounce plays that the independent dudes don't run.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Ditto. And as far as Hoiberg, once gone, he stays gone - we're good right now.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hoiberg will be there as long as Gar is there. The second Gar is gone, Hoiberg wont be too far behind.

That being said, the game last night was a textbook "Bulls coached by Hoiberg game". They have made a habit of having a bad quarter which takes a healthy lead and turns it into a loss. The Bulls have no problems beating good teams, but the have a bad habit of losing to really bad teams.

Sounds like ISU coached by Hoiberg, too...

We'd have been a Top 5 team during Georges' junior year if we cut the stupid losses to clearly inferior teams like South Carolina and Texas Tech and GASP.... UAB!!!

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I have a hard time not looking at Hoiberg through cardinal and gold colored glasses.

Honest question. Would a lot of high level college teams be interested in Hoiberg as a coach? His only college coaching job was at his alma mater. He obviously had success here because of his style and his ties to the NBA, but his dislike of recruiting has been well documented. Also, even though he played in the NBA and worked in the front offices, his most recent tie to the NBA coaching ranks (Gar) is almost working against him (employing his buddy).

I'm just trying to put myself in another university's shoes and looking at the scenario from an outside perspective. Someone would undoubtedly take a look at him, but with his lack of success coaching in the NBA and relatively limited college experience, would he really be a splash hire? He turned us around, but I'm curious to see how others think that would translate elsewhere. Couple his lack of zeal in recruiting with his Transfer U strategy becoming much more commonplace, and I'm more hesitant than I once was.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I have a hard time not looking at Hoiberg through cardinal and gold colored glasses.

Honest question. Would a lot of high level college teams be interested in Hoiberg as a coach? His only college coaching job was at his alma mater. He obviously had success here because of his style and his ties to the NBA, but his dislike of recruiting has been well documented. Also, even though he played in the NBA and worked in the front offices, his most recent tie to the NBA coaching ranks (Gar) is almost working against him (employing his buddy).

I'm just trying to put myself in another university's shoes and looking at the scenario from an outside perspective. Someone would undoubtedly take a look at him, but with his lack of success coaching in the NBA and relatively limited college experience, would he really be a splash hire? He turned us around, but I'm curious to see how others think that would translate elsewhere. Couple his lack of zeal in recruiting with his Transfer U strategy becoming much more commonplace, and I'm more hesitant than I once was.
A school in the crapper would definitely take a chance. Underwood getting paid $3 mil for 7 years after a year at a P5 school, Fred has a much better resume than that. I think Underwood is overpaid, but I there's plenty of schools that would hire Fred for over $2 mil.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I wouldn't mind have Hoiberg back as an AD in the future. I can guarantee that he could get some big donations by spending time with boosters.

Maybe. But if he hated the recruiting part of coaching, then I can't imagine he'd be enthralled with the idea of kissing donor ass for money. It sounds odd, but asking for money is a legit skill and it takes a certain type of personality to do it and do it well. I don't think Fred fits the profile.

• Agree
Reactions: jsb and Cyclone11

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

This, and he was out in front with his pacing and spacing system. Now everybody is trying to do the same thing.

I'm forever grateful to Hoiberg for putting ISU basketball back on the map and bringin in some all time Georges and Monte, but the further removed we get from Hoiball the more I wonder how much of it was just right place, right time. So much of what he did to jump start the program is commonplace in college basketball now. I think he could really struggle to replicate his success at ISU anywhere else.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
A school in the crapper would definitely take a chance. Underwood getting paid $3 mil for 7 years after a year at a P5 school, Fred has a much better resume than that. I think Underwood is overpaid, but I there's plenty of schools that would hire Fred for over $2 mil.

Yeah, Hoiberg is clearly a much more known commodity, but I couldn't help but draw a parallel thinking about how Floyd's name wasn't exactly a hot commodity around the league after a similar-ish situation. We valued him a ton, but after his debacle with the Bulls, he almost had to start over.

I'm sure someone would grab Hoiberg. People have a tendency to overlook hiccups in a resume if they think they are getting a quality coach. And there really aren't a ton of available options out there with his college acumen.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
He is not coming back to college. If he doesn't get another head coaching gig I am guessing he will be on the bench as an assistant or in a front office. Man the Bulls roster is pretty bad right now.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Hoiberg will be there as long as Gar is there. The second Gar is gone, Hoiberg wont be too far behind.

That being said, the game last night was a textbook "Bulls coached by Hoiberg game". They have made a habit of having a bad quarter which takes a healthy lead and turns it into a loss. The Bulls have no problems beating good teams, but the have a bad habit of losing to really bad teams.
Gar will be gone by next year - he will be like leath.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Don't see how Hoiberg keeps his job. The team plays as if they don't care. That fourth quarter last night - that reflects on the head coach.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I know others have said that he didn't like the recruiting angle of the college game. But maybe actually being a coach in the NBA has changed his mind and is thinking it was not as bad as managing the egos of NBA players.

I say this that the only way for Hoiberg to come back is if Prohm under performs or leaves for another school. If Prohm stays the course, there is no reason to make a change.