How Long will they stay?

MattforState

Aug 17, 2010
Des Moines, IA
I think our coaching staff is awesome right now, and I wish they could all be here for awhile, but Wally isn't exactly young, Elliot has been DC, and Herman is great mind that could get offered a lot of money somewhere else.

I do think that Rhoads will be here as long as he does well. I don't see him taking off for more money. Great to have another head coach that wants to be a Cyclone, and not just wants to be a head coach in a BCS conference. Also, I think that he has the ability to replace any coaches that leave for coaches who are just as good (i.e. Ash for Elliot).

What do you think? How long will the current staff be together? I know it's one giant guessing game, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people think. Also, what kind of potential do our current position coaches have at being future OC or DC for us?

Now is where you build my confidence and tell me none are leaving until after they win their second national championship as a staff.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If Coach Rhoads has a great year this year (see: 8+ wins), he'll be gone. Someone will offer him a boatload of money. He's left Iowa State once already, I'm not sure why people think he wouldn't again for a better opportunity.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
I think if Herman gets our offense up to the caliber he had the Rice offense, there is no way he does not get some head coaching offers. Maybe not from the powerhouses but I would guess somebody would be offering.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Let the Cyclones win some more games before we worry about that. But to answer your question I wouldn't be surprise to see this might be Wally's last stop. I think that he wants to coach with his son as long as possible so it might depend on when Shane leaves. Tom Herman on the other hand, will probably move on to bigger and better things. He is still relativity young, and wouldn't mind having another big move in his career.

Reactions: cycloneML

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
If Coach Rhoads has a great year this year (see: 8+ wins), he'll be gone. Someone will offer him a boatload of money. He's left Iowa State once already, I'm not sure why people think he wouldn't again for a better opportunity.

Debbie_Downer.jpg

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
There is a HUGE difference between leaving as an assistant and a head coach. You couldn't expect Rhoads to stay here when other schools were offering him a promotion, you can't really get promoted as a head coach. Unless a school doubles what we're offering right now, I don't see him going anywhere.

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Let the Cyclones win some more games before we worry about that. But to answer your question I wouldn't be surprise to see this might be Wally's last stop. I think that he wants to coach with his son as long as possible so it might depend on when Shane leaves. Tom Herman on the other hand, will probably move on to bigger and better things. He is still relativity young, and wouldn't mind having another big move in his career.
Didn't Wally say that this was for sure his last coaching stop?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
First off, it would be awesome if we have an 8 win season this year.
Second off, I don't think he leaves if he gets an offer else where. He left before because he was an assistant coach, huge difference from head coach. And IF we have an 8+ win season, I think we'll see a large increase in donor's and money, so that we could give him a raise to keep him here. He's got everything he needs here, his family are close by and he loves ISU.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There is a HUGE difference between leaving as an assistant and a head coach. You couldn't expect Rhoads to stay here when other schools were offering him a promotion, you can't really get promoted as a head coach. Unless a schools doubles what we're offering right now, I don't see him going anywhere.

There are promotions from the Iowa State job. I think the one thing that'll keep him here for the time being is his father being here. Chizik definitely moved up in the coaching world, and that's after he told them no a few times because there wasn't enough incentive for him to leave. It wasn't until they doubled his salary that he decided it was time to go...

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I guarantee if we are successful this year he will get offers...may or may not take one...IF we are successful next year he will be gone.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The only one I'm confident will stay awhile is Rhoads. I don't think he goes anywhere unless he gets an offer from a big time perennial powerhouse program... which won't happen. Although, he's not been known to stay anywhere very long, but I think it means a LOT to be close to home with his dad, etc.

Herman definately could go somewhere IF our offense does anything this year. It was terrible last season though, so it will take a really good year offensively for him to get some looks IMO.

Wally will be gone if Shane leaves to go somewhere else IMO. As long as Shane is here, Wally will be too. I don't see Shane getting a promotion anywhere else with our D-line at this point though. Most likely our D will struggle most of the year.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Rhoads will leave when the money is right. He'd be foolish to not do so. That's just a reality.

With that said, I'm sure JP will do everything in his power to keep him wrapped up.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
id like to see them notch more wins than a fluke over Nebraska and one over a flat Minnesota team before we get too excited.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron