How Long will they stay?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Wow, you guys worry about way too much. It was great that ISU went to a bowl game last year, and I really like the current coaching staff, but let us let them actually make some waves this year before we start worrying about them leaving.

Even guys that don't win get hired away from ISU, so it appears there is nothing to worry about anyway.:skeptical:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
At some point, we the fans will eventually fire coach rhoads. yea, call me debbie downer because i know i am being one, but its true. Same thing happened to McCarney. We couldn't afford to pay his assistants- so he had to hire more and more coaches down the list and eventually it caught up to us.

Until we get enough money to keep those coaches, they will continue to head to greener pastures.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Rhoads will stay if we give him the best offer we can give him in the face of the other offers.

For example, if Florida for some unlikely reason offered him $4 million, I think he'd stay at ISU for $2.75 mill.

I don't think it's inconceivable that Rhoads would leave, but I think he will give us every opportunity, and would stay to coach ISU for less money than other schools. Not a ton less, but less. If we didn't try to match one of those offers, I think he'd leave.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

kkise

Jun 25, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
I'm not worried about Rhoads; he'll be here for awhile. I'm more worried about the assistants. If enough of them stay, we can get win consistently.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I just hope Rhoads is good enough that someone else wants him.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think the Iowa program has shown what a consistent coaching staff can do -- not just at the head position but with both coordinators.

It'd be nice if we could experience some of that.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Rhoads will leave when the money is right. He'd be foolish to not do so. That's just a reality.

He might leave, but it is by no means foolish if he turned down an offer somewhere. Money is not the end all be all of life - particularly when you already make a lot of it. Some people chase money over everything else but not everybody.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Hmmmmmmmmm.

I think and feel and Coach Rhoads and most of his assistants will be here as long as they are sure that Iowa State is in a BCS conference.

The other stuff, like compensation and location, are secondary concerns.

GO CYCLONES :yes:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I do think Coach Rhoads is here to stay and don't want to see him leave at all, BUT if he's lured away because of wild success that leaves our program in great shape (see Kelly and Cincinatti) then I'd be perfectly okay with that

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Rhoads will be gone after 8+ wins this season?! :nah: There are plenty of other schools our size who, after success, are able to keep their coaching primarily in tact. I would hope at that stage we would be one of those schools as well. Not to mention the extra money we should be getting soon! And how would upgraded facilities play into that? No one knows, but the way I see it, Rhoads is home...stop worrying (or predicting) that he is leaving.

...worry about the OC position if we break out. That I'll give you. I think Wally would stay even if Shane left (as he said this is his last coaching stop).

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I really don't see anyone coming after him until he win with his own recruits. This year's team has been primarily recrited by Mac and Chizik.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
I think the Iowa program has shown what a consistent coaching staff can do -- not just at the head position but with both coordinators.

It'd be nice if we could experience some of that.

It'd be nice if we had Iowa's money. But we don't.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Rhoads is not going anywhere unless he gets fired (don't see that one at this point). This is his home, he is the head coach, and he loves Iowa State. This place may very well be where he builds his coaching legacy.

I think we should see Wally for at least 3 more seasons (including this one) before he retires. Maybe his son will be promoted to replace him?

Herman will be here for at least 3 more seasons as well. We'll really need to see start to replicate some of the success he had at Rice first though. Then I could see him being lured away for a better job (head coach).

Although in the back of my head, I would love for us to keep everyone together as long as possible. In this business, however, it just doesn't happen that often.

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
I try not to worry about this stuff very much. It'll give you headaches. It's like wondering how long Albert Pujols will be with the Cardinals, etc. You just have to be happy with what you've got now, and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. All I really know is, they'll all be here together long enough for us to win a bowl game in 2010 (Or 2011, depending on where we go, if we go) and that's comforting enough for me.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If Rhoads does well enough for teams to start offering, odds are hes not going to leave because he already has a good team.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I think our coaching staff is awesome right now, and I wish they could all be here for awhile, but Wally isn't exactly young, Elliot has been DC, and Herman is great mind that could get offered a lot of money somewhere else.

I do think that Rhoads will be here as long as he does well. I don't see him taking off for more money. Great to have another head coach that wants to be a Cyclone, and not just wants to be a head coach in a BCS conference. Also, I think that he has the ability to replace any coaches that leave for coaches who are just as good (i.e. Ash for Elliot).

What do you think? How long will the current staff be together? I know it's one giant guessing game, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people think. Also, what kind of potential do our current position coaches have at being future OC or DC for us?

Now is where you build my confidence and tell me none are leaving until after they win their second national championship as a staff.

Rhoads- I am torn but I think he stays as long as we can pay him decent money

Wally- This is his last stop and as long as Shane is here, Wally will stay. I think he has 4-5 years left.

Elliot- I think he takes over for Wally and I think this is his last stop. He is the DC in waiting as far as I am concerned

Herman- He is the most likely to leave and if the offense is successful I say two years from now he is gone. If we have a successful offense, he will be a OC at a big name school or HC somewhere else.

No matter what we need to have a succession plan. Especially on offense. You look at successful programs, and they have consistent coaching staffs. When they do have a change, they promote from within. Even the best programs in the country see a step back when they lose coordinators.
Problem is, I just don't see anyone ready to step up to the OC position if Herman leaves.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'd say that the average tenure of clone football coaches are about 5 yrs....Majors was 5...earle bruce was 6....they skipped off to pitt and osu....Jimmy CryMore Criner was 4 pitiful years and I dont even want to acknowledge jim the dummie walden's tenure....I will say that if cpr keeps winning and going to bowl games he will be gone within five years and then its back to another chizik or you name the coach that cant win a game!!!!!crymore criner and 3win walden the two reasons that isu is a BASKETBALL SCHOOL!

dbqhawk

Dec 3, 2009
If Coach Rhoads has a great year this year (see: 8+ wins), he'll be gone. Someone will offer him a boatload of money. He's left Iowa State once already, I'm not sure why people think he wouldn't again for a better opportunity.

I do not know him as well as you but my feeling was always that much like KF, PR's dream job is where he is at now. If it comes to that, ISU will raise his income and he will stay. As far as coaches leaving, as long as you have have PR he will make good hires. IMHO, the future is bright for cyclone football.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron