Huggins might be in trouble, DUI is good, Bees are bad

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Louis CK has a great bit on the word from years ago on how it evolved from when he was a child

Reactions: MushroomPinball

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I remember “f****t” being harsh or offensive, with “f*g” being viewed as much more casual.
Two syllables was definitely more harsh.

It’s an interesting word. Goes back a long way and didn’t always mean what it does now. Actually, it’s current meaning is relatively recent, and it continues to evolve.

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
I actually laughed. I quit using that word awhile ago, but I guarantee every guy over the age of 30 on this board used it when they were younger, with no malice towards the LGBTQ community intended.

You can’t/shouldn’t use it these days, but not a fireable offense, IMO.
Thom Brennaman sends his regards, as Castellanos hits a deep drive to left field, it will be a homerun.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

It’s an interesting word. Goes back a long way and didn’t always mean what it does now. Actually, it’s current meaning is relatively recent, and it continues to evolve.
Like the South Park kids, when I used it, I never even really thought about the anti-gay side of it. It just meant “jerk off” or “weiner” or some form of lesser and pathetic man.

Obviously when I realized that the gay community views it like the N word, I dropped it out of my lexicon, but that was never initially obvious to me and I think that was true for lots of people.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Thom Brennaman sends his regards, as Castellanos hits a deep drive to left field, it will be a homerun.

I think I was listening to Mad Dog Radio when this happened. I about wrecked my car listening to him give an update to the action mid apology...if you want to call it that.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Like the South Park kids, when I used it, I never even really thought about the anti-gay side of it. It just meant “jerk off” or “weiner” or some form of lesser and pathetic man.

Obviously when I realized that the gay community views it like the N word, I dropped it out of my lexicon, but that was never initially obvious to me and I think that was true for lots of people.
I know exactly what you mean. Same thing with me. Now when I hear it, it‘s like one those “oooooo” (grimace) type reactions. Kind of like I’m trying to hide even though I’m merely in the presence of someone saying it.

Reactions: NATEizKING

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Whether it happens or not, saying that is 100% a fireable offense. Wasn't it Rutgers' men's coach like a decade ago that got canned for saying it (along with hitting players too)?

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The Twolves player that tweeted the same word got hit with a fine, Huggins will get worse but I'd be surprised if he were fired

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

I still think it whenever I hear some ******* revving his motorcycle engine in my neighborhood.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Doesn't actually mean a bundle of sticks? Or an alternative meaning rather.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Whether it happens or not, saying that is 100% a fireable offense. Wasn't it Rutgers' men's coach like a decade ago that got canned for saying it (along with hitting players too)?
They certainly could fire him, but I don’t think they will and I don’t think there will be a large amount of pressure to do so

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
While you are right to an extent here, that word in particular was viewed as pretty offensive even while I was in high school (I think we're similar ages).

I think I'm slightly younger than you but its offensiveness was a feature and not a bug to most of the teenage boys I remember from high school. The same can be said about some other terms.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While you are right to an extent here, that word in particular was viewed as pretty offensive even while I was in high school (I think we're similar ages).
Yeah, I just turned 41 this past Saturday and I'm pretty sure it wasn't kosher when I was in middle and high school, but maybe by only a couple years. It was one of those words I never said, along with retard and midget. There was some very short cultural window when those turned from common to no-no.

I guess I've always been "woke"... must explain the lack of sleep :jimlad:

I do like watching British content on Netflix though... the way they use the "c..t" word is amazingly refreshing.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I know when I was in high school the guys would routinely say "that's pretty g*y!" meaning that's stupid and some threw around the word f*g regularly. But our generation grew up with south park on our tvs.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Ouch, said it twice in 15 seconds. That is not a Freudian slip. That is part of his everyday vocabulary. And neither he nor the hosts gave any pause and just kept on laughing it up. Don't take this post wrong. In my world that is not a termination worthy offense. But this will get interesting.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, I just turned 41 this past Saturday and I'm pretty sure it wasn't kosher when I was in middle and high school, but maybe by only a couple years. It was one of those words I never said, along with retard and midget. There was some very short window when those turned from common to no-no.

I guess I've always been "woke"... must explain the lack of sleep :jimlad:
All that coke zero you drink might make you the wokest person alive

• Haha
Reactions: Jer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron