"I Was Wrong" Thread

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Come clean. You'll feel better.

- I thought there was little to no chance that Rhoads would lead this team to a win yesterday. I was buying into the "he's losing the team" rumors. After Jensen bear hugged and lifted him two feet off the ground following the field goal and watching the players in the locker room after the game... it's clear these guys still have his back and vice versa.

- Miller. To me, he was too slow reacting and not physical enough to play LB in the B12. Well, that clearly isn't the case. He'll likely be the MVP of this defense.

- Wally. Looked like the game was passing him by. He was running up and down the sidelines like a mad man yesterday. He went crazy on a holding no call on Morrissey on Iowa's game tying field goal drive. He still has it.

- Sam. I was calling for a Juco QB transfer two years ago. Sam, to me, seemed to hit his ceiling his freshman year... and regressing. He's a gamer. He's obviously getting better. I'm thrilled to watch him continue to develop this and next year.

With the injuries, the bye comes at a perfect time. Let's get healthy and give Baylor all they can handle. They've had possibly the easiest schedule in the country the first three weeks. They have a big game at Texas the following week. This could be another upset special.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Winning fixes most everything.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I said it last week, but I'll say it again.

I was not happy with Rhoads at all after the NDSU fiasco. And then we start the KSU game and get down right away 13-0, and everyone, myself included, were thinking "that's it, we will never win another game this year.".

But then, instead of folding the tent last week, we come back and score 28 straight points to take a 28-13 lead. That is when I knew that Rhoads had not lost this team at all.

Then again yesterday, we get down 14-3, and then we fumble going into the endzone. That had to be a HUGE letdown going into halftime. It would have been very easy for this team to mail it in again. But they didn't.

This team's resilience is amazing. And anyone who thought Rhoads had lost this team was dead wrong.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Not quite to where you are yet.

1) Beating Hokeyes is always good but it is just the Hokeyes - in all seriousness, likely the weakest team we have played to date.

2) We are improving, especially on offense. I feel better now that we can score like we need to in order to beat KU, TTU, Toledo - maybe TCU and WVU. I didn't feel that way after NDSU. Makes sense - a new offensive scheme starting to take hold

3) Not at all ready to translate this defensive performance into something that can keep us in games against the OSUs/Texas type games - games that should be winnable if we had a solid defense. Wally is great at getting most of the talent we have - still can't tell what talent we have. 4th Qtr against KSU is still best measuring stick there.

I am off the ledge. If someone had said we would be 1-2 I would have said makes sense but have hoped for 2-1. So I guess we are where we should be if we think that 4-8 or 5-7 is destiny for this team. I think what we do in this Baylor game is key. If we can put together a Def plan and continue to grow a bit on offense to make this a competitive game I will buy in. Another 71-7 debacle and I fail to see how we have moved ahead at all. We have to get through that game with our manhood in tact.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I encourage your integrity my friends. I don't think we will get all the boo birds to come clean though.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
Come clean. You'll feel better.

- I thought there was little to no chance that Rhoads would lead this team to a win yesterday. I was buying into the "he's losing the team" rumors. After Jensen bear hugged and lifted him two feet off the ground following the field goal and watching the players in the locker room after the game... it's clear these guys still have his back and vice versa.

- Miller. To me, he was too slow reacting and not physical enough to play LB in the B12. Well, that clearly isn't the case. He'll likely be the MVP of this defense.

- Wally. Looked like the game was passing him by. He was running up and down the sidelines like a mad man yesterday. He went crazy on a holding no call on Morrissey on Iowa's game tying field goal drive. He still has it.

- Sam. I was calling for a Juco QB transfer two years ago. Sam, to me, seemed to hit his ceiling his freshman year... and regressing. He's a gamer. He's obviously getting better. I'm thrilled to watch him continue to develop this and next year.

With the injuries, the bye comes at a perfect time. Let's get healthy and give Baylor all they can handle. They've had possibly the easiest schedule in the country the first three weeks. They have a big game at Texas the following week. This could be another upset special.
I was wrong, I thought we would win by a much larger margin. Hope we get a nice Mea Culpa from CW.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yesterday was the first game I've been able to watch. Was nice to see a win and some resiliency.

The offense may have diversity and the defense was flying around a bit.

They must've improved a lot in cohesion since the NDSU game, but it doesn't take much to beat Iowa.

In two weeks ISU plays Baylor; give me a competitive game and I'll start thinking ISU has an OK football team.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yesterday was the first game I've been able to watch. Was nice to see a win and some resiliency.

The offense may have diversity and the defense was flying around a bit.

They must've improved a lot in cohesion since the NDSU game, but it doesn't take much to beat Iowa.

In two weeks ISU plays Baylor; give me a competitive game and I'll start thinking ISU has an OK football team.

Mostly this.

I was very disappointed from and during the NDSU game. KSU game felt like we might steal a win, but clearly not the best team on the field. Yesterday ... I had very little doubts throughout the game... we looked better than Iowa and got better as the game went on.

-keep

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So because we beat Iowa, I suddenly have to admit I was wrong?

We lost to North Dakota State because we were flat outplayed by them in every way imaginable - offense, defense, special teams, and coaching. I called them out on it.

We lost to K-State because we were flat outplayed by them in every way imaginable in the second half - offense, defense, special teams, and coaching. While there was a lot more redeemable about the play in week 2 compared to week 1, they once again got called out.

Tell me - what is so wrong about calling a spade a spade? And why should I apologize about it?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Checking in. I was very down on the team. In fact, I'm about to have my head shaved because I bet against them. We're probably not gonna go to a bowl game this year, but this team has shown gradual signs of improvement. Tomorrow was a great step towards recapturing a little mojo. Excited to see what this team can do in the new-look stadium next year!

Cychedelia

Aug 26, 2014
Cedar Rapids

We lost to North Dakota State because we were flat outplayed by them in every way imaginable - offense, defense, special teams, and coaching. I called them out on it.

We lost to K-State because we were flat outplayed by them in every way imaginable in the second half - offense, defense, special teams, and coaching. While there was a lot more redeemable about the play in week 2 compared to week 1, they once again got called out.

Tell me - what is so wrong about calling a spade a spade? And why should I apologize about it?

Because you suck.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

that's all fine but the 'lost the team' and 'team hates cpr' people were clearly wrong. they were being chicken little

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Because you suck.

It's not worth arguing with someone who sucks.

You can think I suck all you want, but yesterday's result doesn't suddenly make us 3-0 and a top 25 team. We are still a 1-2 team with a lot of issues that are likely going to be exposed by a far superior Baylor team. Have we improved? Absolutely. Does it rewrite the history books? Absolutely not. And you can go full ostrich and stick your head in the ground on us by pretending none of this exists, but when you do that you aren't worth having a conversation because "you suck" isn't an intelligent response.

Reactions: CycloneErik

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And I was never one of those guys.

I don't even know who they all were, just that there were a lot of them. We'll never know exactly what happened after those first two losses and the Ganon deal but we can all see now that our two prized recruits make us a better team when they're on the field as true freshman.

My own theory is that losing team + players not getting playing time and/or being demoted for younger players = a lot of the negative sky is falling stories about players quitting on coaches because they hate them

Outside of the questionable 'sources' stories of the previous 10-14 days I've seen nothing that doesn't say the players love playing for CPR, more than most coaches around the country. In my opinion some of those peeps do deserve to get called out.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

You don't have to. The whole point is to look at what we see and call it like we see it.
1-2 was the likely best case scenario at this point, and we're there. It looks like genuine improvement, but Iowa is pretty bad, and our next two opponents are very good and relentless. We won't know a whole lot of anything until Toledo, or maybe game #9.