Importance of not losing out

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Heard a comment on the radio about some not being surprised if we don't win one more game. For a number of reasons, how important is it to finish well this year? Thinking recruiting, players returning, moral, and support for our coach... or is it less of a deal than I'm thinking?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think a few nice wins down the stretch could serve to deter some attrition, to be honest. Not sure where everybody's heads are at, but I could think of a few guys that would not surprise me if they don't come back next year, in the teams current state.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think a few nice wins down the stretch could serve to deter some attrition, to be honest. Not sure where everybody's heads are at, but I could think of a few guys that would not surprise me if they don't come back next year, in the teams current state.

Unwanted and unexpected attrition happens to teams that had high expectations and fail miserably. We’re right where expectations were. Players and coaches don’t see things like the fans.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I’m sure it’s important to the team so it’s important to me. Would love to ***** slap Baylor in KC.

I'd like to as well but at this point I'll call it a win if we hold them under 15 offensive rebounds.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Unwanted and unexpected attrition happens to teams that had high expectations and fail miserably. We’re right where expectations were. Players and coaches don’t see things like the fans.

I hope your right.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Heard a comment on the radio about some not being surprised if we don't win one more game. For a number of reasons, how important is it to finish well this year? Thinking recruiting, players returning, moral, and support for our coach... or is it less of a deal than I'm thinking?

Way less of a deal IMHO. You'd rather go out on a winning streak, but this will be a very distant memory for the players (not the fans - nope we will never give in) since the team - same as it is every year - will be different.

MK24Cy

May 18, 2018
I think it's important for recruiting, which is the one thing most on here agree Prohm has done well at. I'm sure a kid like Xavier Foster that's in state is paying close attention to how this season has unfolded and if we do end up needing some transfers, it certainly helps to have success in the tourney where a transfer can see our team firsthand. Assuming some subset of Wiggy, Tyrese, THT, Conditt, Jacobson, and Lard are back and they all look pretty good in the tourney, it's much easier to sell a transfer that he's joining a core of players that can be successful and help him with whatever his motivation for transferring is(tourney run, NBA exposure, wants to play on ESPN every night, etc.)

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Morale seems to be terrible already. Probably not affecting that.
Anyone leaving has probably decided already.

So, basically, it's just how the basketball forum plays out. I don't think it affects much else.
Well, maybe support for the coach, but people that are ready to jump are already there anyway, and people who won't are already firmly entrenched.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think if defense tightens up and shots start falling that bodes well for the tournament. Right now we're a little punch drunk and I could see a lower seeded team catching us on a downward spiral in the tourney like UAB

• Optimistic
Reactions: Texbudman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Important in the basketball sense? It is extremely important. College basketball is mostly about working to put yourself in a good position in March. To put together a good team, generally have a good year, and then essentially call it quits via players not caring about winning (Jacobson’s words) in mid-February would be a failure. That has an impact and negative externalities.

If we lose out the perception and narrative about the program is focused on the collapse. Win a couple more games, and/or somehow manage to go on a run, and this slide isn’t even a small footnote.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Spanky

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Naw. People have already turned to football as it is. Basketball will take a back seat.

People have turned to football? It's March. I don't see a single topic on the front page of the forum that has anything to do with next year's football team.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
That doesn’t account for changing expectations.