NBA: Important NBA trade for Monte's future

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I wanted to make a separate thread for those that don't go into the NBA thread.
With the Wizards acquiring Jones, I would still anticipate them to cut Chris Paul. If that happens Monte will get minutes. If the Wizards keep them both I don't think Monte will get many minutes.
Also, Boston got a lot for Smart. Who know WTF the Wizards are doing.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Wizards are dumping salary. I would expect them to dump Paul.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I would be pretty shocked to see CP3 in a Bullets uniform. Lakers are going to do whatever it takes to get him and at the same time keep him away from the Clippers.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
I wanted to make a separate thread for those that don't go into the NBA thread.
With the Wizards acquiring Jones, I would still anticipate them to cut Chris Paul. If that happens Monte will get minutes. If the Wizards keep them both I don't think Monte will get many minutes.
Also, Boston got a lot for Smart. Who know WTF the Wizards are doing.

Crazy - I’ve been keeping an eye on Jones for years as his game seems so similar to Monte’s. Both are undersized PGs with offensive upside (high efficiency, high a/to ratio, good shooting) and defensive liabilities due to size (especially in the playoffs). Both have been high-end reserves/low-end starters in recent years.

As you say, who knows what the Wiz are doing. At this point I’d rather see Monte traded to a better team with a defined (reserve) role and a contract extension, rather than languishing through a rebuild in DC for the last ~3-5 peak years of his career. I guess this is just the life of an NBA role player.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Crazy - I’ve been keeping an eye on Jones for years as his game seems so similar to Monte’s. Both are undersized PGs with offensive upside (high efficiency, high a/to ratio, good shooting) and defensive liabilities due to size (especially in the playoffs). Both have been high-end reserves/low-end starters in recent years.

As you say, who knows what the Wiz are doing. At this point I’d rather see Monte traded to a better team with a defined (reserve) role and a contract extension, rather than languishing through a rebuild in DC for the last ~3-5 peak years of his career. I guess this is just the life of an NBA role player.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I wish a trade was happening for Monte to get out of there. I know in Washington there is more minutes to play but I'd almost rather he be in a smaller role on a good team than a prominent role on a team going nowhere. The Wizards are a dumpster fire.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I wish a trade was happening for Monte to get out of there. I know in Washington there is more minutes to play but I'd almost rather he be in a smaller role on a good team than a prominent role on a team going nowhere. The Wizards are a dumpster fire.

This is a nightmare scenario right now. Maybe some contender throws a future 2nd round pick at Washington for Monte. I hope he gets out.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
No guarantees of minutes for Monte if CP3 and Jones remain on the roster.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
So the Griz are moving in from Jones and won't have Morant for a couple of months, they will be shopping for at least one PG, maybe two right?

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Isn't he is an unrestricted Free agent after next year....if so has options soon.
If he has another solid year I think that’s his best case scenario.

On the other hand, if Washington offers him a multi year extension at say 7-12 million/year, he would have to consider signing it. Or if they offer more, he almost HAS to sign it. Worst case scenario is he gets buried behind CP3 and Jones for minutes this year or gets injured.

But again, who knows wtf the wizards are doing.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Monte could be stuck with less minutes and still on a terrible team. Hopefully he can get out of Washington.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Paul will be traded or waived. I’m pretty certain of that. The only other option is hold on to Paul, hope he plays well and trade midseason for higher value. But that’s a risk with his age, health, and deteriorating skills. Washington wants to lose too, if Paul is playing well and winning games that’s actually a bad thing.

Either way I’d love to get Monte out of that situation

• Agree
Reactions: clonechemist