NBA: Important NBA trade for Monte's future

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
If he has another solid year I think that’s his best case scenario.

On the other hand, if Washington offers him a multi year extension at say 7-12 million/year, he would have to consider signing it. Or if they offer more, he almost HAS to sign it. Worst case scenario is he gets buried behind CP3 and Jones for minutes this year or gets injured.

But again, who knows wtf the wizards are doing.

Resetting. Dumping salary, get out of long term contracts, get picks and tradable assets. Probably what they should have started doing when Wall got hurt.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
It'll be interesting to see what the Wizards do. I don't think Chris Paul will play a minute in Washington--whether they find a third team for that trade or if they outright waive him. But Monte and Jones obviously seem a bit redundant, plus the Wizards have Delon Wright, who's older but played 24 minutes a game last year. I imagine at least one of those three will also get traded, whether in the off-season or maybe Washington will wait until the deadline.

I think that the Celtics got a lot of value for basically only trading Smart, but I also don't entirely get the fit. Considering the Celtics' issues with turnovers and playmaking, it seems odd to trade Smart. Though he was part of those issues, this trade doesn't help them in that area, and I'm not sure what the path is to improve in that area. I actually thought that Monte might be a good fit for them, given those issues, but if he was going to end up there, it probably would have been in this trade.

• Agree
Reactions: clonechemist

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Agreed - Monte is a defensive liability deep
the playoffs, so KCP and Bruce Brown were better options for Denver.

That said, Bruce Brown declined his player option in Denver…. If Nuggets want to run it back with Monte this year I’m not comppaining!
I don’t think they can afford Monte as he is 2 mil higher than what Brown turned down. I saw a Denver writer mention that they wouldn’t be able to match any of Browns offers. Who knows, NBA caps are confusing.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I wanted to make a separate thread for those that don't go into the NBA thread.
With the Wizards acquiring Jones, I would still anticipate them to cut Chris Paul. If that happens Monte will get minutes. If the Wizards keep them both I don't think Monte will get many minutes.
Also, Boston got a lot for Smart. Who know WTF the Wizards are doing.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. And the Celtics sure like the winner here, to me.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Is Golden State going the Laker route? Let's see how old of a team we can put on the court.

Surprised Wizards got anything back so decent trade for them.

Yeah CP3 to Golden State makes no sense. Paul going to come off the bench or they really going to have a 2 PG starting lineup?

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Yeah CP3 to Golden State makes no sense. Paul going to come off the bench or they really going to have a 2 PG starting lineup?
Warriors are dumping Poole's extended contract for Paul's one year deal. Warriors are paying a massive luxury tax bill.

Poole no longer fit with the team and was not happy there so they got what they could for him.

My guess is Paul will simply take on Poole's role and be the first guard off the bench. At his age he can be very productive but probably can't handle starter minutes anymore.

They will also almost certainly lose DiVincenzo so they need experienced guards.

Help Support Us

Become a patron