Interesting MBB stats that might surprise you

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

This teams hasn't proven that they can beat anybody good. We are a very average team and that's okay, we've just been pretty damn good recently.

Remember like 5 years ago when we had like a two year road losing streak? Lol.

• Disagree
Reactions: BryceC

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I will just be watching "This is Us" instead of getting depressed tonight. This team suck with an exception of Monte Morris who is consistent most games. The rest are overrated and that's showing in their inconsistency play. This coach Prohm(ok I won't call him pathetic today) isn't helping with his weird timeouts when the team is starting to score after, say a 4 minutes scoring drought. His subbing of players when they get hot, as was seen in Vandy game and other games is also suspect. We are going to lose tonight if Monte does not get some help from Naz, Thomas and Burton.

El oh el. Crawl back in your hole.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
It doesn't matter if it felt that close. It was that close.

Last week the Kansas state game never felt close, so why was everyone complaining about it?
The KSU game sure felt close at the 5 minute mark. The entire conversation is maddening at this point.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I don't know that this team is as good. But they certainly aren't that much worse.
Record and per game wise, I'd say we most compare to 12-13 season. They had 3 non con losses, did go 11-7 in conf, although probably weaker then. They were one and done in the conf tournament, and ended up a 10 seed.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This team is averaging 80.8 points per game, which would have been the second the second highest mark of the Hoiberg era. The team is also shooting 45.9 percent, which would be the third-best of the Hoiberg era.

The 5-3 record to start Big 12 play matches the second-best start under Hoiberg.

These guys aren't that far off. Just need to close and get a key win.
I agree they're not far off, but in college basketball that's the case for a lot of teams in the 40-75 range. There's a lot of parity and outcomes of a handful of possessions, let alone games, ultimately is the separation. One more player, particularly one that could help mitigate a substantial void, would go a long ways (Malou?).

On that note, imo I think this shows how misplaced yearning for Fred by a portion of the fan base is. The numbers don't support it, especially when you consider the loss of Georges. Prohm's arguably done better than Fred in his two years with Fred's players

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Not to me and that's all that matters, right?

I personally felt the KU game was within striking distance most of the right. But I'm not sure how you can argue about the KSU game not being close. Wildcats had a 3 point shot to take the lead at the one minute mark.

I understand why CW started this thread but it is a bit maddening that people say "stop comparing Prohm to Fred and move on." Yet a few days later we are doing the exact same thing we criticized others for with incomplete data.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
We simply lack a forward scoring threat like Niang/Royce.

If we had a forward scoring option to help close out games in the final two minutes to go along with Morris and Burton, we would probably have 3-4 losses right now.
It would probably also mean we have better defense and rebounding, although Georges under Fred is an exception.

One upgrade can completely change a season when you're just a tad off.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I understand why CW started this thread but it is a bit maddening that people say "stop comparing Prohm to Fred and move on." Yet a few days later we are doing the exact same thing we criticized others for with incomplete data.

I think this comparison is different.

You are just looking at some simple stats.

The people saying Prohm is ruining what Fred created are the people that need to move on.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
[QUOTE="swarthmoreCY
On that note, imo I think this shows how misplaced yearning for Fred by a portion of the fan base is. The numbers don't support it, especially when you consider the loss of Georges. Prohm's arguably done better than Fred in his two years with Fred's players[/QUOTE]

The 2013 & 2015 teams were elite from an offensive efficiency standpoint ranking #1 in the Big 12 in conference games according to Kenpom.

We are averaging 76.5 pts in conference play this year which is absolutely fine because we are playing a lot better defense IMO.
But we are doing it with a reduced shot clock as well.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
[QUOTE="swarthmoreCY
On that note, imo I think this shows how misplaced yearning for Fred by a portion of the fan base is. The numbers don't support it, especially when you consider the loss of Georges. Prohm's arguably done better than Fred in his two years with Fred's players

The 2013 & 2015 teams were elite from an offensive efficiency standpoint ranking #1 in the Big 12 in conference games according to Kenpom.

We are averaging 76.5 pts in conference play this year which is absolutely fine because we are playing a lot better defense IMO.
But we are doing it with a reduced shot clock as well.[/QUOTE]
You're dreaming if you think Fred would be doing better than 76.5 without a Georges type.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

But we are doing it with a reduced shot clock as well.
You're dreaming if you think Fred would be doing better than 76.5 without a Georges type.[/QUOTE]

You act like this is a fact.

Sorg4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2015
West Virginia stat of the day...
In the 3 games this year that they had a negative turnover margin, 0-3!
There least positive margin game +3 against temple, LOST.
They are 17-0 when they have a turnover margin of +4 or more!

Iowa State is the 2nd best team in the country at protecting the ball.

If we protect the ball, Iowa State wins this one....take it too the bank.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I will just be watching "This is Us" instead of getting depressed tonight. This team suck with an exception of Monte Morris who is consistent most games. The rest are overrated and that's showing in their inconsistency play. This coach Prohm(ok I won't call him pathetic today) isn't helping with his weird timeouts when the team is starting to score after, say a 4 minutes scoring drought. His subbing of players when they get hot, as was seen in Vandy game and other games is also suspect. We are going to lose tonight if Monte does not get some help from Naz, Thomas and Burton.

Intervention! Intervention!

Help Support Us

Become a patron