Iowa and BCS Rankings....

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
How is it all my Hawk friends were telling me how the Big Ten will get two BCS teams - that conference stinks as a whole and quite frankly Iowa may be the best team right now because Penn St don't strike fear into a lot of teams and this Ohio St team is far from a championship contender.

So how does the Big Ten and Hawk fans think they will get two BCS teams? Does anyone really think the Penn St and Ohio State are two of the best teams in the nation?

My hawk friends and family are calling for the Hawks to get to the Capitol One Bowl or Outback Bowl.....Not going to happen....

Iowa had a great season, could have been better, but they will be going to Champ Sports bowl in my opinion....

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
because all hawk fans are full of ****

there are no teams in that conference that deserve a BCS bowl because they cant compete against the Big XII and SEC

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
if oregon state beats oregon next week then Ohio St won't get selected for the BCS. If oregon wins, I believe Ohio St will get selected. it's all about $$$. Ohio St will bring more to Fiesta than Boise St. will. It's a sad day when underserving teams get to play in Jan 1 bowls or later just because of the fans and $$. I remember when an 8-4 team would be thankful for a bowl, now they worry about where they fall and how they will get shafted to a lower tier bowl. The old days were better. too many bowls.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I heard that argument a couple weeks ago. At the time it made a little sense because of Penn State. Now I have no idea how that would be a good idea to have two Big Ten teams in BCS games. If nothing else, it should be two SEC and Big 12 teams there. That would be it, their isn't enough teams of caliber for the other conferences to get two in.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
if oregon state beats oregon next week then Ohio St won't get selected for the BCS. If oregon wins, I believe Ohio St will get selected. it's all about $$$. Ohio St will bring more to Fiesta than Boise St. will. It's a sad day when underserving teams get to play in Jan 1 bowls or later just because of the fans and $$. I remember when an 8-4 team would be thankful for a bowl, now they worry about where they fall and how they will get shafted to a lower tier bowl. The old days were better. too many bowls.

There is a rule that if a mid major finishes in the BCS top 10, they HAVE to go to that game. Utah and Boise are in. Period. Very slim chance, imo of the Big 10 having two teams in...

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
There is a rule that if a mid major finishes in the BCS top 10, they HAVE to go to that game. Utah and Boise are in. Period. Very slim chance, imo of the Big 10 having two teams in...

espn just said Boise still has a shot. i assume that doesn't mean that they are in.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
don't forget that the Big East and ACC still get automatic bids in the BCS. neither conf has a team in the top 12. that will knock someone out.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
We need to root for Oregon State to beat Oregon next week. If they do, then the Big 11 will only get one to the BCS, and that will knock all the Big 11 teams down a tier in their bowl tie selections. This would likely move Iowa to the Alamo Bowl.

This way, we wouldn't have to hear Iowa fans yapping about a precious "New Year's Day" bowl game when their team hasn't earned it going through that gauntlet of a schedule in their conference.

Ernie Godfrey

May 17, 2006

Nope. The BCS has to take one but not two. Boise is not a lock. An Oregon State win next week means Penn State is the only Big 11 BCS team but if the Beavers lose I think Ohio State gets a BCS bid also.

I think Iowa is almost a lock for a New Year's Day game. I don't think the Outback will pass on them and take MSU or Northwestern based on Iowa's past showing of fans down there.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

Incorrect. For mid majors such as Utah and Boise only the highest ranked one is guaranteed a game. It doesn't mean that both won't go, but as it is right now only Utah is guaranteed to be in a BCS bowl.

Whoever said it about Ohio St is right. If Oregon wins next week Ohio St will probably be picked over Boise simply because of fan travel.

Same goes for Iowa, I don't see them sliding all the way down to the Champs Sports bowl because their fans will travel.

I see it as:

Rose - Penn State
Capital One - Ohio St
Outback - Michigan St
Alamo? (4th Big 10 bowl) - Iowa

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I think Iowa is almost a lock for a New Year's Day game. I don't think the Outback will pass on them and take MSU or Northwestern based on Iowa's past showing of fans down there.

Outback doesn't have a choice. Northwestern and MSU both have better records than Iowa does. They CANNOT choose Iowa over them if they are both available.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
The fact is that there are a lot of BCS spots available with the championship game outside of the original 4. Like someone said above if Oregon State gets the Rose Bowl the at-large teams would probably be USC/Utah/Big 12 team/SEC team but if USC ends up winning it who else from a BCS conference is even remotely qualified and eligible? Ohio State would practically be a lock then.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Outback doesn't have a choice. Northwestern and MSU both have better records than Iowa does. They CANNOT choose Iowa over them if they are both available.
I believe this rule only applies to picking a 6 win team over a 7 win team. Beyond that, the bowls can pick who they want.

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
At this point, it doesnt make much difference what the BCS does for Iowa. With the way Iowa finished and their reputation for a traveling fan base, they will be playing in Florida on Jan. 1. The Cap 1 and Outback reps were smiling ear to ear last night when Iowa was hammering Minnesota. If the big 10 gets only 1 BCS team, that would knock OSU to the Cap 1. Now the Outback gets to pick between Iowa, MSU and Northwestern. You better believe if the Outback has a shot at the hawkeyes, they will take them. It will bounce MSU to the Alamo and Northwestern to the Champs.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Doesnt the bowl have their choice unless one team has 2 more wins or something like that. The Big 234324 just wants a BCS team like Ill. last year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron