Iowa and BCS Rankings....

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
It's the BCS- it's based on rankings and automatic bids. There are three at large bids for the BCS and the Big10 and Pac10 are fighting over the third bid. If Oregon St wins the Pac10 automatic bid, USC will be the third at large. If USC wins the automatic bid, no one else from the Pac10 will get in and the next option would be Ohio St. I don't know why we haven't considered the undefeated Utah as an at large bid. They are more deserving than Ohio St.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
It's the BCS- it's based on rankings and automatic bids. There are three at large bids for the BCS and the Big10 and Pac10 are fighting over the third bid. If Oregon St wins the Pac10 automatic bid, USC will be the third at large. If USC wins the automatic bid, no one else from the Pac10 will get in and the next option would be Ohio St. I don't know why we haven't considered the undefeated Utah as an at large bid. They are more deserving than Ohio St.

im counting Utah as in. prob play the the Big East or ACC winner. hope something else is on that night.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
You guys are wrong......I'm looking for the selection rules and will hopefully find them on the intertubes here soon.

Selection of the teams

Although the pick order usually corresponds to the conference standings, the bowls are not required to make their choices strictly according to the won-lost records; many factors influence bowl selections, especially the turnout of the fans for past bowl games. Picks are made after BCS selections; the bowl with the #2 pick will have the first pick of the remaining teams in the conference.

Straight from wikipedia

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Assuming the Big 10 does get 2 teams in the BCS, that means the Big 10 has 4 New Years day bowl tie ins. Iowa will without a doubt get one.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Selection of the teams

Although the pick order usually corresponds to the conference standings, the bowls are not required to make their choices strictly according to the won-lost records; many factors influence bowl selections, especially the turnout of the fans for past bowl games. Picks are made after BCS selections; the bowl with the #2 pick will have the first pick of the remaining teams in the conference.

Yes but the Big 3455 has their own set of rules with their bowls so teams dont get looked over. Basically so Iowa cannot jump teams whos fans dont travel as well. The agreement has to do with standing and records of the teams.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The entire concept of a 'new years day bowl' has completely changed.

The GMAC bowl is one.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You guys are wrong......I'm looking for the selection rules and will hopefully find them on the intertubes here soon.

In the Big 10 selection criteria a team with a lesser record (8-4 vs 9-3) can be taken in a bowl game. Even if said 8-4 team LOST to the 9-3 team. I believe this happened the season Iowa went 7-4 and made it to a new years day bowl.

[edit] Bowl selection procedures

The Capital One, Outback, Alamo and Champs Sports Bowls can select any eligible team except a team that has two fewer wins or two more losses than another eligible team. The Insight and Motor City Bowls have no such restrictions, but if two Big Ten teams are selected by BCS bowls, the Alamo and Champs Sports Bowls also do not have that restriction. However, the bowls cannot select a 6-6 team if a 7-5 or better team is not selected by a Big Ten-affiliated bowl.[17][18]
See also: Big Ten Conference football champions See also: Big Ten Conference football individual honors

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
There is a two-win rule in the Big Ten for the Cap One, Outback, Alamo and Champs. That is thrown out for the Outback, Champs and Alamo if there are two teams from the Big Ten that go to the BCS.

Iowa is one win behind NW and MSU, so the two win rule will not apply in any circumstance.

In my view, and I have done this sort of things for years and years, I speak with bowl reps this time of year (and did last week), whether or not the Big Ten gets two or one team in the BCS, with the way Iowa closed the season (winning five of six, win over #3PSU, destroying a 7 win team in the finale, and the way MSU lost at PSU), it is going to go to either the Cap One, or the Outback Bowl.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
There is a two-win rule in the Big Ten for the Cap One, Outback, Alamo and Champs. That is thrown out for the Outback, Champs and Alamo if there are two teams from the Big Ten that go to the BCS.

Iowa is one win behind NW and MSU, so the two win rule will not apply in any circumstance.

In my view, and I have done this sort of things for years and years, I speak with bowl reps this time of year (and did last week), whether or not the Big Ten gets two or one team in the BCS, with the way Iowa closed the season (winning five of six, win over #3PSU, destroying a 7 win team in the finale, and the way MSU lost at PSU), it is going to go to either the Cap One, or the Outback Bowl.

I hate to say it, but for the Big 10 this year, Iowa is one of the better teams. They really should go to the Alamo, however, but I think Jon is right.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Close the thread the man has spoken. Questions ansewered. Thanks for setting us straight Jon.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
It will be very interesting how the Big 10 does out of conference.

Preseason was not too good to them, so it will be interesting to see how post season does.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Isn't this the Iowa State football section or has Hawk talk officially taken over the site?

Some posters really do spend a lot of time worrying about this, it seems. It makes life a lot less frustrating if you just put it out of your head and forget about them.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Some posters really do spend a lot of time worrying about this, it seems. It makes life a lot less frustrating if you just put it out of your head and forget about them.

Exactly, instead of making pointless comments about people talking Iowa sports... just ignore it and don't read them.

The title of the post does say Iowa and BCS Rankings

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Fiesta wants USC vs OSU -rematch ...Utah outside chance (Texas..?)
Sugar will get Alabama/Florida loser vs.....? (probably B12-2nd) (Texas..?)(Utah...?)
Orange will get ACC Champ vs......? (Utah...?)(If not at large undefeated then Big East Champ)
Rose gets PSU vs Oregon State

National Title.....Florida/Alabama vs Big 12 Camp (unless Mizzou) (OU..?)

Last edited:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
In the Big 10 selection criteria a team with a lesser record (8-4 vs 9-3) can be taken in a bowl game. Even if said 8-4 team LOST to the 9-3 team. I believe this happened the season Iowa went 7-4 and made it to a new years day bowl.

You're right, this happened when Iowa played Florida after the 2005 season. They got chosen over two teams with the same record, but Iowa had lost to both of them (Northwestern and Michigan).

Remember that this was the same season that we ended with the same record as Iowa, and the head-to-head win against them, but played in December against TCU. The reason? Because the Big 12 does not have the same types of bowl ties as Iowa, and because the "New Year's Day" bowl games do not have the same meaning as they used to, as much as Iowa fans want to make everything think they do.

I'm wondering when they put the 2-win better rule into effect when selecting the Cap One and Outback teams. I had not factored that rule.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron