Iowa and BCS Rankings....

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I'm wondering when they put the 2-win better rule into effect when selecting the Cap One and Outback teams. I had not factored that rule.

It's been around for a number of years.
If one Big Ten team goes to the BCS, the Cap One cannot select Iowa, it has to take Ohio State, Michigan State or NW. Of course, it wouldnt matter if it could select Iowa; Ohio State goes to the Cap One.

The Outback will then have an 8-4 Iowa team, and 9-3 MSU & NW. There are no rules for their selection here, and they would select Iowa.

I am now rooting for Oregon State to win out, so just one Big Ten team goes to the BCS...because I would rather go to Tampa than Orlando...and if two B10 teams go BCS, I think the Cap One might take Iowa.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
It will be very interesting how the Big 10 does out of conference.

Preseason was not too good to them, so it will be interesting to see how post season does.

In lower tier bowls you have to take the games with a grain of salt. Remember the Alamo Bowl a couple of years ago when it was Texas vs. Iowa? Texas (9-3) had to line up against a 6-6 team. Texas did not care about the game and Iowa was super jacked up. Texas won because their talent was much superior to Iowa, it was Iowa's super bowl that day, no doubt about it. I would hope Jon Miller and any other rational Hawk fans would back me on this.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Texas was definitely the more talented team. That was also the first game all year where Tate was healthy.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
The entire concept of a 'new years day bowl' has completely changed.

The GMAC bowl is one.

agreed. NYD bowls used to be for the top teams in the country. all conference winners and a wild card or two. it's sad when we have to watch teams with 4 losses play on new years. $$$$ Just because you play on NYD doesn't mean you are good.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
It's been around for a number of years.
If one Big Ten team goes to the BCS, the Cap One cannot select Iowa, it has to take Ohio State, Michigan State or NW. Of course, it wouldnt matter if it could select Iowa; Ohio State goes to the Cap One.

The Outback will then have an 8-4 Iowa team, and 9-3 MSU & NW. There are no rules for their selection here, and they would select Iowa.

I am now rooting for Oregon State to win out, so just one Big Ten team goes to the BCS...because I would rather go to Tampa than Orlando...and if two B10 teams go BCS, I think the Cap One might take Iowa.

You really think they would take Iowa over Michigan St.? I know the Hawks are a proven commodity as far as filling the seats, but I would think that Spartan fans would jump at the chance to watch their team play on New Years. Whether or not bowl reps feel that way is another story.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Credit where it's due. Iowa's season far exceeded my expectations and the team did get a signature win over Penn State - and then demolished Minnesota on the road in the finale.

Of course, that does not diminish the other transgressions of that program - winning does not imply innocence. But that's another issue. The team is still made up of young men that did a much better job against it's schedule - whatever you think of its strength - than I expected. I hope they do play January 1st, they may well deserve it given how they finished the season.

Reactions: SplitIdentity

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
Remember that this was the same season that we ended with the same record as Iowa, and the head-to-head win against them, but played in December against TCU. The reason? Because the Big 12 does not have the same types of bowl ties as Iowa

Not to pile on, but you're even wrong here again. The Big 12 bowl tie-ins are not locked into the standings either. I don't remember who played who or what the scenario was that put ISU in the Houston Bowl that year, but they were in the mix for a couple other bowls.

In fact, there was a situation late in that year in which ISU was going to get screwed out of the Alamo Bowl if Iowa was selected to avoid hosting a rematch in Texas. But Iowa was picked for the Outback bowl, while Iowa State had the whole issue with losing to Kansas.

Just for the record:
Last year
Texas Tech 9-4 (4-4) was selected for the Jan. 1 Gator Bowl over...
Texas 10-3 (5-3) who played in the Dec. 27 Holiday Bowl

Iowa State has just as much opportunity to jump teams, they just have to be in the right situation (not up against a Texas team for a Texas based bowl game)

I'm pretty sure there isn't a BCS conference that has their bowl line-up locked directly into order of finish.

ESPN - 2007-08 Bowl schedule - College Football
ESPN - College Football Standings, NCAA College Football Standings, NCAA Football Standings

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
How is it all my Hawk friends were telling me how the Big Ten will get two BCS teams - that conference stinks as a whole and quite frankly Iowa may be the best team right now because Penn St don't strike fear into a lot of teams and this Ohio St team is far from a championship contender.

So how does the Big Ten and Hawk fans think they will get two BCS teams? Does anyone really think the Penn St and Ohio State are two of the best teams in the nation?

My hawk friends and family are calling for the Hawks to get to the Capitol One Bowl or Outback Bowl.....Not going to happen....

Iowa had a great season, could have been better, but they will be going to Champ Sports bowl in my opinion....

hawks will play january 1...mark it down. (not BCS though)

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
So then explain this quote.

You're right, this happened when Iowa played Florida after the 2005 season. They got chosen over two teams with the same record, but Iowa had lost to both of them (Northwestern and Michigan).

Remember that this was the same season that we ended with the same record as Iowa, and the head-to-head win against them, but played in December against TCU. The reason? Because the Big 12 does not have the same types of bowl ties as Iowa

If you weren't implying that Big 12 bowls were tied to standings, then how are the "Big 12 bowl ties not the same as Iowa (Big 10)."???

With the BCS, Cotton and Gator, the Big 12 has as many Jan bowl games as Iowa, and even when the Gator doesn't pick from the Big 12, ISU has never been to the Holiday Bowl (#3) or Alamo (#4), so I don't understand why the Big 12 bowl tie ins are the "reason" ISU went to the Houston bowl and not a Jan bowl like Iowa.

Seems to me if you aren't saying Big 12 bowls are tied to standings we just completely proved my point that there is no difference between the Big 12 and Big 10 tie ins and Iowa State has just as much opportunity to jump weak traveling teams.

Last edited:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
If you weren't implying that Big 12 bowls were tied to standings, then how are the "Big 12 bowl ties not the same as Iowa (Big 10)."???

The direct implication is that bowl selections (not ties) are NOT based on standings. Otherwise, Iowa would not have played in January after the 2005 season (or this season).

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Texas was definitely the more talented team. That was also the first game all year where Tate was healthy.

If Tate was healthy all season, the hawks would have been in the national title game like they deserved.
(Clarified your statement for you :wink:)

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
The direct implication is that bowl selections (not ties) are NOT based on standings. Otherwise, Iowa would not have played in January after the 2005 season (or this season).

That's not what you originally said.

I'll ask again.

So what does this mean?? Particularly the bold part.

Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002
You're right, this happened when Iowa played Florida after the 2005 season. They got chosen over two teams with the same record, but Iowa had lost to both of them (Northwestern and Michigan).

Why did the Big 12 bowl tie-ins that you claim in the quote above are different from the way the Big 10's work (which they actually aren't different) prevent ISU from playing in a higher bowl?

I will patiently wait for you to respond to my actual question on YOUR quote.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
My question is why does it matter what day a bowl is played on? Why does Jan 1st make the bowl so special?? The Liberty bowl is on Jan. 2 does that mean that those teams will be better than all the teams playing on Jan 1?? The bowl system is SOOOO stupid anyway.
With this system I just do not understand why non-BCS conference teams even play football. Look at Boise and Ball State this year. They can have the greatest years in their historys and what dio they get? Do they get a shot at a winning the national title like they would in any other sport? NO! They get the priviledge of going to the Humanitarian Bowl against the ACC #8 and the Motor City Bowl against the Big 10 #7! Why even try?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Iowa should win that game. :skeptical::skeptical:

Some people call it the Chumps Bowl.