Iowa and BCS Rankings....

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
They will have 45,000 fans show up in Tampa, 40,000 won't be able to afford it, will have to file for bankruptcy, will leave them too destitute to spend money on season football tickets, causing some to sell their children to Cyclone fans. Finally, these kids will have a chance to live normal lives. At least something good will come out of Iowa going to a bowl this year.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
ESPN's predictions (updated 11/24) have Iowa in the Champs bowl on december 27 against Miami (FL)

ESPN will be wrong. The lowest Iowa will drop, regardless of Ohio St. getting into into the BCS or not will be the Alamo. The Alamo would have to take Northwestern over Iowa for ESPN prediction to be right, and that will never happen.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Fiesta wants USC vs OSU -rematch ...Utah outside chance (Texas..?)
Sugar will get Alabama/Florida loser vs.....? (probably B12-2nd) (Texas..?)(Utah...?)
Orange will get ACC Champ vs......? (Utah...?)(If not at large undefeated then Big East Champ)
Rose gets PSU vs Oregon State

National Title.....Florida/Alabama vs Big 12 Camp (unless Mizzou) (OU..?)

Since Iowa's pretty much guaranteed a NYD bowl I hope Oregon beats Oregon St...OSU v PSU Rose Bowl re-match game doesnt interest me. And why would the Fiesta want an OSU v USC re-match?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
ESPN's predictions (updated 11/24) have Iowa in the Champs bowl on december 27 against Miami (FL)

SWEET!!! I know this won't happen but if it does I am on my way to the Champs Bowl to cheer on my beloved Hurricanes!!!!!!!!!!

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
They also have Iowa ranking #25 in the sportsline 120. ISU is the 2nd lowest BCS school at #109. We should all thank you WSU Cougars for beating Washington this weekend. That should give them the lowest ranked BCS title!!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not to pile on, but you're even wrong here again. The Big 12 bowl tie-ins are not locked into the standings either. I don't remember who played who or what the scenario was that put ISU in the Houston Bowl that year, but they were in the mix for a couple other bowls.

In fact, there was a situation late in that year in which ISU was going to get screwed out of the Alamo Bowl if Iowa was selected to avoid hosting a rematch in Texas. But Iowa was picked for the Outback bowl, while Iowa State had the whole issue with losing to Kansas.

Just for the record:
Last year
Texas Tech 9-4 (4-4) was selected for the Jan. 1 Gator Bowl over...
Texas 10-3 (5-3) who played in the Dec. 27 Holiday Bowl

Iowa State has just as much opportunity to jump teams, they just have to be in the right situation (not up against a Texas team for a Texas based bowl game)

I'm pretty sure there isn't a BCS conference that has their bowl line-up locked directly into order of finish.

ESPN - 2007-08 Bowl schedule - College Football
ESPN - College Football Standings, NCAA College Football Standings, NCAA Football Standings

Proof that you don't know much about the Big XII-

Holiday Bowl is higher on the Big XII bowl-selection pecking order than the Gator Bowl is...

Big 12 Football Bowl Affiliates - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
Holiday Bowl is higher on the Big XII bowl-selection pecking order than the Gator Bowl is...

Weird. You've got me there. But that still doesn't answer my question of how the Big 12 bowl picks are different than the Big 10s that keep Iowa State from getting selected over other teams, poor traveling teams, even if ISU has an equal or worse record.

Remember that this was the same season that we ended with the same record as Iowa, and the head-to-head win against them, but played in December against TCU. The reason? Because the Big 12 does not have the same types of bowl ties as Iowa.

He's not going to address that and explain the difference and that's OK, because it wasn't a factual statement to begin with, I just want to see if I can get 2002 to admit that, though that is unlikely to happen since I have a "hawkeye" handle.

Last edited: