Iowa Boys HS State Basketball

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Does the Cram kid from Bondurant not play basketball anymore? I seem to remember him being a good basketball player but don't see any stats for him.
He got hurt late in the season in football, maybe that is why.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Right. We're talking about boys hoops, not girls.

What was the boys on back in the 90s? I'm looking it up on YT and can't tell what actual network it is. The guy who did the local Hok games (did a couple of ISU's non-con games this year) is an announcer.

It was typically a pretty consistent coverage style iirc. The Barn was old and all but it had a certain 'feel' even on TV that Wells Fargo just doesn't project imo.

Reactions: cyfanatic

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What was the boys on back in the 90s? I'm looking it up on YT and can't tell what actual network it is. The guy who did the local Hok games (did a couple of ISU's non-con games this year) is an announcer.

It was typically a pretty consistent coverage style iirc. The Barn was old and all but it had a certain 'feel' even on TV that Wells Fargo just doesn't project imo.

Those games were produced by a local outfit, and then it was pushed out to stations around the state -- WHO or KDSM, KCAU, KCRG, WOC, etc.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Not sure if it'll be the same for the BOYS basketball championship, but the BOYS wrestling finals were on 28.2 Charge! I could not believe it when they told me to go there, but sure enough. Watched the whole night of state championship wrestling on 28.2 (in eastern Iowa). Kind of hoping the IHSAA will put basketball there too.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
ANYWAY... back to this year's boys' tournament...

Cedar Rapids Kennedy opened 4A play with a 66-45 win over Dallas Center-Grimes.

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
Hoops was never on PBS.

Wrestling was, but only until about 2002. Football was, briefly in the 70s/80s.
IPTV aired wrestling for many years until 2002. The Iowa High School Sports Network started in 2005/06. They had the rights to both boys and girls sports to start out. The boys have never had a contract with IPTV to televise football or basketball according to Chris Cuellar of the association in an interview with Chris Williams last fall. The girls started with IPTV in 2014. Before 2014 IPTV did televise volleyball in the late 80's and 90's but that was all IPTV televised for girls sports until 2014.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

Larry Morgan? Former KGGO DJ?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Bound is a joke.. Most coaches use use BC Moore computer rankings. View attachment 125039

DCG played 8 4A schools it looks like this year.
Bound is what the state uses for its official stats.

DCG is 7-4 against 4A schools, including the game today.

CR Kennedy is 19-0 against 4A schools, including today's game.

DCG plays in a conference with 3-4A schools (Indianola, Norwalk, and Indianola), 3-3A schools, and a 2A school. They are guaranteed eight games against lower-level competition—the three 4A schools in the Little Hawkeye rank 41st, 46th, and 48th out of 48.

CR Kennedy plays in a conference with one 3A school (Western Dubuque); the rest are 4A. They are guaranteed two conference games against lower-level competition.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Also very good at baseball and softball (won state there last year) and pretty good in football.

Many if not most of the athletes have been 3rd or 4th generation in the area or at least were born there.
Correct. No recruiting from France, Mali, Mexico...(Looking at you Grandview Christian.) All those kids at North Linn grew up there and have played sports with one another since the 3rd grade. Northern Linn County. Walker, Troy Mills and Coggon. About 35 minutes North of Cedar Rapids.

Reactions: wxman1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron