Iowa Brewery top 10 2017

isume6

May 22, 2011
OKC
I love the fact that there is enough good breweries in Iowa now to have a discussion like this. That said, not having Torrent on the list is a damn shame....ran by a fellow Fanatic and good buddy of mine. Always has great stuff!

Reactions: Penguin

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
TG is great but I echo the inconsistency at times. I was extremely underwhelmed by Fire, Skulls and Money. XHops Gold was actually really solid. DDH Galaxy Pseudo was so-so. I am completely over OG Psuedo Sue.

Really excited to try "Fields of Dream" from Barn Town next week when I get into town.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Had a buddy stop by Reclaimed Rails. He said their Blonde Stout was excellent. Anybody else tried it? Haven't really been impressed by anything from them, but looking for a reason to stop in.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Had a buddy stop by Reclaimed Rails. He said their Blonde Stout was excellent. Anybody else tried it? Haven't really been impressed by anything from them, but looking for a reason to stop in.

I have a buddy who lives in Bondurant, and we'll stop up there because it's close. I've always thought it was solid, but wouldn't put it in the Top 10 slot. Really nice place to boot.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Des Moines IPA that Confluence makes is pretty high up on my list of beers. Also really enjoy the Greys Lake Nessie.

Haven't tried too many from Confluence outside of those two.

As for Breweries in the DSM area, I have been to Confluence, 515, Firetrucker, Exile, New American. Also have been to Alluvial in Ames, Toppling Goliath in Decorah, and Big Grove in IC.

I'd put Alluvial up against any.

• Dislike
Reactions: Penguin

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Freaking love Pulpit Rock and TG is awesome too as is Decorah. I just may retire in Decorah no lie it’s beautiful and outdoorsy with trout run, camping, hiking. Every time I visit I never want to leave.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Alluvial is great, solid list but for me Confluence should be on their they make quite a lot of solid beer.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Anyone know if King Sue is still hanging around the stores in DSM? I get in on Thursday and hoping to find some.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Decorah brewed 4 packs of Psuedo Sue are starting to show in DSM.

Had some on Saturday.

I predict an internet meltdown. It was a good beer, but it's much more akin to Florida Sue than OG Decorah Sue, or the stuff that's been on tap in Iowa up to this point. Not really hazy at all, and no nose to it. A tasty pale ale for sure, but the stuff of legend it ain't.

I see TG becoming Iowa's Surly, if they can't get this Decorah canned Sue dialed in.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
This will probably expose me as not really a beer snob, but in my book the fact that places like Exile make it so that I can walk into a QT or Casey's, much less your average grocery or liquor store, and get a pack of good, locally-made beer should absolutely score them points in rankings like this.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Anyone know if King Sue is still hanging around the stores in DSM? I get in on Thursday and hoping to find some.

I haven't been out today, but Urbandale HyVee had a fair amount on Saturday evening. Hell, even Johnston had a lot late last week. YMMV, but you should be able to find it, I would think.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Had some on Saturday.

I predict an internet meltdown. It was a good beer, but it's much more akin to Florida Sue than OG Decorah Sue, or the stuff that's been on tap in Iowa up to this point. Not really hazy at all, and no nose to it. A tasty pale ale for sure, but the stuff of legend it ain't.

I see TG becoming Iowa's Surly, if they can't get this Decorah canned Sue dialed in.

That's disappointing. I still want to try it, but I quit buying FL Sue.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's disappointing. I still want to try it, but I quit buying FL Sue.

TBF, I like FL Sue more than most, so it's not like I found it an unpleasant product. It just definitely wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe they're getting more used to the new system.

I'm not losing any sleep over it. Saftig has been better than Sue for awhile now, and you can always get growlers.

• Informative
Reactions: NickTheGreat

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This will probably expose me as not really a beer snob, but in my book the fact that places like Exile make it so that I can walk into a QT or Casey's, much less your average grocery or liquor store, and get a pack of good, locally-made beer should absolutely score them points in rankings like this.

If they made better beer, I would agree. The top 10 on this list all have at least 3-4 beers that are really good. Exile has been around for 5 years and have made a ton of different varieties yet I can't think of one that is something I seek out. I do like their Cherry Bohemian. Their core beers like Gigi, Ruthie, Hannah, etc. are just blah IMO.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
If they made better beer, I would agree. The top 10 on this list all have at least 3-4 beers that are really good. Exile has been around for 5 years and have made a ton of different varieties yet I can't think of one that is something I seek out. I do like their Cherry Bohemian. Their core beers like Gigi, Ruthie, Hannah, etc. are just blah IMO.

I've found myself coming around on Exile over the years. I appreciate that they can make a good beer that isn't an overpowering IPA or a big stout. Ruthie was definitely my tailgating beer.

I really like TG, especially the G.Nugget, but they seem to just roll out slight variations of their IPA's and pale ales. That's fine because they sell. Pulpit Rock has taken over as my #1 in Decorah.