Iowa Brewery top 10 2017

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If they made better beer, I would agree. The top 10 on this list all have at least 3-4 beers that are really good. Exile has been around for 5 years and have made a ton of different varieties yet I can't think of one that is something I seek out. I do like their Cherry Bohemian. Their core beers like Gigi, Ruthie, Hannah, etc. are just blah IMO.

Beatnik is awesome. They made a really solid IPA recently too.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I agree that Exile’s core beers aren’t very appealing if you’re into pale ales and IPA’s like I am but in the past year they’ve had at least three that I thought were pretty solid. Zoltan, Moon Taxi and Mosaic Crown. I think Zoltan is the only one they added to their regular line up. They also have a BA rye stout right now that sounds pretty interesting.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
They make really good NE IPAs, which is the RAGE style these days.

The style's getting over done, but they do it very well.

I'm not sure I would call it over done. It's what the craft community as a whole is into right now. It's allowing younger breweries to get into the game quicker and forcing older breweries to change/expand. It caters to way more people than the bitter WC IPA's.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Green Tree in Le Claire
Seconded. I'm not a huge fan of Great River, Front Street is ok and Bent River in Moline is pretty good. There's a couple in the works in Bettendorf that I'm hoping will elevate things in the QC. Plus they're going to be a lot closer to me than any of the existing ones!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not sure I would call it over done. It's what the craft community as a whole is into right now. It's allowing younger breweries to get into the game quicker and forcing older breweries to change/expand. It caters to way more people than the bitter WC IPA's.

I'm just getting old and crummudgeony and tend to roll my eyes at the newest and latest craze in anything.

In general, a lot of them are really good and I understand why people like it. I just personally want a little more variety.

octaviouspoon

Jul 25, 2016
They make really good NE IPAs, which is the RAGE style these days.

The style's getting over done, but they do it very well.

That could be. I used to love IPAs, but I got burnt out on them. I generally stick to dark beers anymore, and I don't feel they do great with those. They just seemed watered down...not much body to them. Being that it's about 2 miles from my house I just with I enjoyed their beers more. At least the food is good.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I wouldn't expect many newer breweries to spend much time on "dark beers" these days, outside of giant imperial barrel aged ones. They just don't have much pull in the fanatic circle.

This is what beer geeks want:
NE IPAs
BA Stouts/porters with lots of adjuncts or variants
Sours

If a brewery isn't doing one (or multiple) of these things well, they're in a precarious spot.

• Winner
Reactions: nwiafan

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
NE IPA is my favorite IPA. Maybe besides IIPA. And I liked them before it was cool.

I also like the browns, scotch ales, milds, etc. Which I hope is the next beer trend. I know it won't be but I secretly like it when a brewery does them well.

• Agree
Reactions: dtISU

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Don't get me wrong, I still love a well done traditional IPA, but after tasting the NE style for the first time I was blown away by the mouthfeel and lack of bitterness. In my heart I am still a Red/Amber guy and I will try any of those, minus flanders style. Same goes for Porters/Stouts.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
NE IPA is my favorite IPA. Maybe besides IIPA. And I liked them before it was cool.

I also like the browns, scotch ales, milds, etc. Which I hope is the next beer trend. I know it won't be but I secretly like it when a brewery does them well.

Eventually it will come back to that.

My favorite thing these days is a really clean IPA with a little more bitterness than an NE. Maybe it's just being inundated with them, but I've actually gone back to relishing the harder mouth feel and the bitter bite. Pearl Street Brewing in La Crosse made a beer called Linalool IPA this fall that was right up this alley and it was my go-to beer for awhile.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Lion Bridge Majestic Beast-Very unique taste that some may hate but I thought it was excellent. Lake Time Oreo Speedwagon was also very good.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don’t know if this is the best thread, but I was at Torrent last night and pleasantly surprised.

I went last fall and was underwhelmed, but they had a killer Mosaic IPA, Berlinner Weisse, and coffee blonde.

I didn’t think it was bad the first time, but they’ve turned a corner.

Reactions: Penguin

Penguin

Aug 13, 2017
Ames
I've really enjoyed Torrent's offerings that last few times I've been there.

I don’t know if this is the best thread, but I was at Torrent last night and pleasantly surprised.

I went last fall and was underwhelmed, but they had a killer Mosaic IPA, Berlinner Weisse, and coffee blonde.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I hope they do OK. Now that Olde Main is “for sale” hey have the downtown if they can make quality beer. I went a few times for the first year they were open and wasn’t ever impressed.
Alluvial, on the other hand, still kicks ass.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron