Iowa fans at ISU

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I will agree with Gonzo that WW is doing a nice hack job on Iowa and IL But I can also confirm, as an NU grad, that 99% of NU alums are in fact dooshnoozles. I really hate most of them. Not me and my friends of course. I was a Pell and SEOG grant kid back in the day. The Ivy envy thing that many NU grads have is sad because it wasn't near as bad back in the 80's when a lot fewer NU students were full-pay.

I couldn't believe what non-partying boners these guys were. It was so funny because they actually went into the "It's alright, it's okay..." chant. I had a friend who went to grad school there and ended up being a counselor (or some ****). Her stories about these socially inept neeerds were hilarious. She never felt anything but pity for these losers who, according to them will employ everyone...someday.

As far as Ivy envy goes they should have it. I've partied in Cambridge w/ Harvard kids and Providence w/ Brown kids and had a much better time than in Evanston.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You serious, Clark??

If you're just finding that out after getting married, something's wrong... very wrong.

Agreed. That's a first date conversation.

Now that I'm back in the dating pool I've been thinking about this alot.

WillieWildcat

Apr 21, 2012
Ouilmette, Illinois
Which is par for the course for all northwestern *****.

If daddy has enough money and pull, you don't have to be intelligent to go there. That pretty much goes for all the "top tier" undergrad schools, but northwestern has ivy envy, so its' grads are even more overbearing.

I think this is vastly overstated. Of course, if your surname is Pritzker or Ryan you will get into NU with an application submitted on a napkin. Likewise for the Bush family and Yale. I, however, did not have a family legacy and was admitted on merit and was an Evans Scholar.

AlanStanwyk

Mar 14, 2012
I think this is vastly overstated. Of course, if your surname is Pritzker or Ryan you will get into NU with an application submitted on a napkin. Likewise for the Bush family and Yale. I, however, did not have a family legacy and was admitted on merit and was an Evans Scholar.

I don't believe you. I think your real name is Jessica McCoy and you live in Des Moines.

WillieWildcat

Apr 21, 2012
Ouilmette, Illinois
I will agree with Gonzo that WW is doing a nice hack job on Iowa and IL But I can also confirm, as an NU grad, that 99% of NU alums are in fact dooshnoozles. I really hate most of them. Not me and my friends of course. I was a Pell and SEOG grant kid back in the day. The Ivy envy thing that many NU grads have is sad because it wasn't near as bad back in the 80's when a lot fewer NU students were full-pay.

GO U

I disagree with your assessment, though. It sounds as if you didn't have a lot of friends in college. The ratio of insufferable alums is probably closer to 25% than 99%, but it is still far lower than the percentage of insufferable Io_a alums.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So let's say I graduate from high school and I know I want to go to law school at Iowa. Would it then have been wrong for me to go to the University of Iowa for undergrad because I thought I'd have a better chance of getting into their law school if I made connections in Iowa City? I really think these are mutually exclusive topics. You can grow as big of fan of Iowa or Iowa State as there is, but at some point you have to make decisions about your future and what you want to do with your life. If you pass up good opportunities because of a youthful allegiance to a team then you aren't seriously thinking about your future.

Let's say you date a girl for a few years, you get married and a week later you find out she's an Iowa fan. Do you get a divorce because she's an Iowa fan? No, because there are certain things more important than rooting allegances. That's all I'm trying to say. The Yankees example doesn't compare to what I am talking about because it all arises within the context of sports. Sure, you give your front-runner fans a hard time, because they made a decision to be a fan of a certain team and that is hardly a big life decision.

I am NOT saying that you decide where you go to college based on who you liked as a kid.

I'm saying that you root for your school regardless of whether or not you were a childhood fan.

It's not at all the same thing.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Henceforth I'm declaring WillieWildcat a K-State fan and reading all his posts with that assumption in mind.

Good job getting into Harvard on the Prairie, Willie.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
Whoa stud. I bet you don't even have to apply for jobs you just turn down offers.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

So, you're like all the other nerd NW alums that nobody can stand.

As if nothing you post is vastly overstated either.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I checked and there aren't any "Evans Commnity College" or "Evans Junior College" locations in Kansas. So you must have traveled far. That must have been tough, leaving your family and friends for the big city life of Manhattan.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Consider the meaning of the term "such as." It is not every single top flight school in the land, I'm sure there are a few others in that bucket. I would personally rank India Institute of Technology higher than CalTech, but no sense in quibbling over that.

I don't care where a bunch of Medill rejects who make $32,000 per year working for the dying US News publication rank Northwestern. Their job is to sell content to idiots who go around spouting off meaningless rankings that claim that Illinois is a better school than Northwestern. There is probably some feedback loop in their methodologies such that if Texas Tech grew to take in 400,000 students it would be a top ten school because of the size of its library and number of majors and extracurricular groups on campus. No matter where Texas Tech is ranked by a publication, its graduates would still be relegated to pizza delivery and bar tending "careers."

It must suck to walk around all day with that gigantic rod stuck firmly in your anus.

With that being said, Northwestern sucks. You suck, and Chicago sucks.

Here's a quote that might be up to your high level of intelligence. I feel it fits you quite nicely.

"Pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless steaming pile of cow dung, figuratively speaking."

WillieWildcat

Apr 21, 2012
Ouilmette, Illinois
Why the **** are we talking about Northwestern?

It started because someone was unsure why a Michigan fan would go to Ohio State and I pointed out that some schools, like Northwestern, Michigan and Texas have high admission standards and so some fans from those schools have to go to less academically selective institutions. Carry on, though. It's not relevant to the thought process of why an Io_a fan would go to Iowa State. I can't imagine those schools differ much in terms of majors or admissions standards, so it doesn't make any sense to me.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
It started because someone was unsure why a Michigan fan would go to Ohio State and I pointed out that some schools, like Northwestern, Michigan and Texas have high admission standards and so some fans from those schools have to go to less academically selective institutions. Carry on, though. It's not relevant to the thought process of why an Io_a fan would go to Iowa State. I can't imagine those schools differ much in terms of majors or admissions standards, so it doesn't make any sense to me.

So do you still bend over to sniff your own farts or have you graduated to catching them in a snifter?

WillieWildcat

Apr 21, 2012
Ouilmette, Illinois
I'll just go ahead and step out of this conversation now. If anyone has any substantive points they'd like to make about a potential Northwestern-Iowa State basketball game there is a conversation on that going as well and I'd welcome your thoughts.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
So, let me get this straight. ISU is pulling in the casual fan (tavern clone?), and these fans are only coming out and about because the team is getting better?

And here I thought ISU was above and beyond the bandwagoner.

Actually I think more people associated with ISU(alums in general) are feeling a better sense of pride these days about the athletic department, and probably wearing their ISU gear more often. Going to minor bowls is nice and all, but NCAA trips and having the 3rd most Big 12 basketball wins the last 2 years is also driving this bus.

5 years ago you had 5-19 Chizik, and McDoormat running the show. Not a lot to get excited about. No post seasons to speak of, and basically the bottom of the barrel in every sense.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Did you get lost when Snyder sent you out for Taco Bell?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I'll just go ahead and step out of this conversation now. If anyone has any substantive points they'd like to make about a potential Northwestern-Iowa State basketball game there is a conversation on that going as well and I'd welcome your thoughts.

Cant wait to make fun of you in that thread too.