Iowa FB 2024-28 B1G Opponents Announced

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Iowa's next hire will be even more magnified now. I feel it is a great job that should attract some high quality coaches because of the pay, fan base and their loyalty to coaches that don't get fired on a whim.
As it should. You can be mediocre to downright awful and you won't only get a nice paycheck but even an extension and job security. Who wouldn't be attracted to a high-paying job that you don't have to perform well at and know you won't get fired?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
As it should. You can be mediocre to downright awful and you won't only get a nice paycheck but even an extension and job security. Who wouldn't be attracted to a high-paying job that you don't have to perform well at and know you won't get fired?
Who would those coaches be?

• Useful
Reactions: 7Got6

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
This is a whole other discussion but not staying 'in the family' at Iowa would be a massive mistake. It's a unique job. You've got to hire LeVar Woods there.

^^^ Please, please let the leadership have this take . . .

Disagree. It doesn't have to be someone with Iowa ties or who's in the mold of KF's aw-shucksie, lunch pale, unsexy style. That's the first thing that strikes me when I hear Iowa fans suggest Klieman from KSU. First, I'm not convinced he'd leave KSU for the job. Second, why do people think the next coach has to bring the same approach/philosophy as KF? 40+ years ago Iowa hired a guy who'd never been to our state and who brought some attitude and swagger and liked scoring points and that worked out ok. I hope they open it up and do a true search and not limit it.

^^^ Rather than this one. :)

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Eh, just glancing at next year I see 5 fairly comfortable conference wins for them. Add in 3 non-con wins and you're already at 8. And that's without the typical black magic upset that they seem to pull off yearly.
I think 8 is a realistic ceiling moving forward, and that’s assuming they don’t drop a game they shouldn’t (which they seem to do once a year).

Keep in mind, Iowa makes more money than us, but they don’t compared to their Big 10 peers (the tier 2-3 B10 teams from above). There will be a segmentation of haves vs have nots in the SEC and B10 too

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Eh, just glancing at next year I see 5 fairly comfortable conference wins for them. Add in 3 non-con wins and you're already at 8. And that's without the typical black magic upset that they seem to pull off yearly.

Who has Iowa upset in recent history? It's been a bit....

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My six cents:

Regarding money:
It's only a matter of time before football players (and likely MBB, too) are paid outright. Might not happen right away, but it will happen. And that's when the differences in AD earnings will make a tremendous difference. Until then, however, ADs can still ask their donors to funnel their support to their collectives and NIL opportunities rather than directly to the AD since those will be better funded from media deals.

To say much higher media deals won't make it significantly easier to acquire talent compared to schools making far less is asinine. Stop pretending it'll be even close to an even playing field.

Regarding the B1G schedules:
Teams like Iowa should still be able to win 8-10 games every year, but how often will that be good enough to make the title game? I suspect that game will be between two undefeated 1-loss teams most years, so it will be extremely difficult to make the title game with even 2 formidable opponents.

Regarding the B1G vs Big XII debate:
Obviously the B1G has a high end that the XII doesn't (and likely never will again). As it stands right now I'd say that most of the 16 new XII schools average out to be about Minnesota/Purdue/Nebby tier. But, as I've seen others say, the bottom of the B1G can absolutely rise above the middle of the XII if those ADs make the choice to do so with time.

As ISU fans we aren't in the P2, and we never will be. But... for right now... we're in the next best thing. We could easily have been OSU/WSU, so I'm grateful to be where we are. But to compare the XII's future to that of the SEC/B1G is preposterous.

There is no such thing as P2. Iowa State and the Big 12 are in a GREAT spot and will be solidly the third best conference. The next TV deal will be historic despite what the a$$ hats at ESPN will tell you. ESPN needs the big 12 and the conference is going to have a ton of leverage.

• Haha
Reactions: 7Got6

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Disagree. It doesn't have to be someone with Iowa ties or who's in the mold of KF's aw-shucksie, lunch pale, unsexy style. That's the first thing that strikes me when I hear Iowa fans suggest Klieman from KSU. First, I'm not convinced he'd leave KSU for the job. Second, why do people think the next coach has to bring the same approach/philosophy as KF? 40+ years ago Iowa hired a guy who'd never been to our state and who brought some attitude and swagger and liked scoring points and that worked out ok. I hope they open it up and do a true search and not limit it.
I think Klieman would take that job in a heartbeat. Iowa has so many advantages that K-State doesn't. I also think he would be a great hire for Iowa and a perfect fit.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyCity and BigCyFan

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Meh, it's always a tight game and I think Rhule has a good chance to get Nebby back to at least a respectable level.

I'm in the Rhule will get it turned around camp. I'm not talking 90's Nebby football but they can definitely be an 8-10 win team annually. IMO if Rhule doesn't get it done then all hope is lost for that program.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks and Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think Klieman would take that job in a heartbeat. Iowa has so many advantages that K-State doesn't. I also think he would be a great hire for Iowa and a perfect fit.
Yeah this makes sense. But I still would much prefer a wide open look at all possible candidates who bring different styles and philosophies, and not limit it to candidates with some Iowa connection.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I'm in the Rhule will get it turned around camp. I'm not talking 90's Nebby football but they can definitely be an 8-10 win team annually. IMO if Rhule doesn't get it done then all hope is lost for that program.
I agree, I think he was the right hire. It seems to take him 3 years so he has a couple left. As long as Iowa keeps their staff I think Rhule will be beating them in the very near future.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Klieman works for his best friend in a spot where it's going to be a lot easier to win consistently. He'll retire at K-State.
You might be right, but I think the difference in money between the conferences is really going to start showing in the NIL and if you aren't in one of those two, you better have a really good NIL program because your top young talent might be recruited away. We're just beginning to scratch the surface with it and the gap financially is going to widen.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I'm not sure Kleinman would be a better hire than Mark Stoops. I'd be really surprised if Mark Stoops turned down Iowa too. Be curious which people consider the better coach? I think Stoops would be a better recruiter personally

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I'm not sure Kleinman would be a better hire than Mark Stoops. I'd be really surprised if Mark Stoops turned down Iowa too. Be curious which people consider the better coach? I think Stoops would be a better recruiter personally
Pull of the alma mater and all, but Mark Stoops is making almost $9 million dollars with 0 expectations at a basketball school. His staff salary pool is also over $7.5 million this year (what the **** college football). Recruiting to UK in the southeast is going to be easier than at Iowa too

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Pull of the alma mater and all, but Mark Stoops is making almost $9 million dollars with 0 expectations at a basketball school. His staff salary pool is also over $7.5 million this year (what the **** college football). Recruiting to UK in the southeast is going to be easier than at Iowa too
Some good points I'd still be surprised though if offered. I think he's taken UK as far as he can. Iowa could offer close to his salary may not be a raise like you typically get to switch jobs but it's chance to go home

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Why in the world would stoops go to Iowa? He’s in a better conference, makes great money, is bringing in much better recruits than Iowa and has less pressure since it’s a basketball school first. Zero reason why he leaves unless Iowa makes him the highest paid coach or something.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Why in the world would stoops go to Iowa? He’s in a better conference, makes great money, is bringing in much better recruits than Iowa and has less pressure since it’s a basketball school first. Zero reason why he leaves unless Iowa makes him the highest paid coach or something.
This is amazing. Also, who is the MSU front runner while were on the subject?