Iowa FB 2024-28 B1G Opponents Announced

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Why in the world would stoops go to Iowa? He’s in a better conference, makes great money, is bringing in much better recruits than Iowa and has less pressure since it’s a basketball school first. Zero reason why he leaves unless Iowa makes him the highest paid coach or something.
Why would a coach want to stay at a basketball school first? You think Duke has an advantages to keeping Elko because of this I assume?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Hadn't read this before my reply. Elko would be a good hire but maybe the Cameron Crazies convince him to stay?
Certainly possible that there could be some wealthy alums that drop a bag, but the conference is on the verge of collapse and I know that he has been very receptive to overtures. Maybe the winner of the champions classic this year gets Elko lol

Reactions: GoHawks

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Why in the world would stoops go to Iowa? He’s in a better conference, makes great money, is bringing in much better recruits than Iowa and has less pressure since it’s a basketball school first. Zero reason why he leaves unless Iowa makes him the highest paid coach or something.
Agree. Stoops is another example like Klieman where people feel hamstrung to bring someone in with a previous Iowa connection. Why? Iowa has a young, energetic, sharp AD who's embracing NIL and where the game is today. Give me a young climber HC who's going to bring some new life to the program.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Agree. Stoops is another example like Klieman where people feel hamstrung to bring someone in with a previous Iowa connection. Why? Iowa has a young, energetic, sharp AD who's embracing NIL and where the game is today. Give me a young climber HC who's going to bring some new life to the program.
Speaking of that, does it surprise any one else that Jason Candle hasnt been offered a P5 job yet?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Speaking of that, does it surprise any one else that Jason Candle hasnt been offered a P5 job yet?
Not really, he started hot but has some really bad seasons in there. You can’t have multiple bad seasons with zero recruiting prowess and get a decent P5 job. A lot of coordinators are much higher then a Mac Hc.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Agree. Stoops is another example like Klieman where people feel hamstrung to bring someone in with a previous Iowa connection. Why? Iowa has a young, energetic, sharp AD who's embracing NIL and where the game is today. Give me a young climber HC who's going to bring some new life to the prprogram.
Do you have a name of someone that fits that description today?

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
EIU fans keep talking about this shift with a power 2, Big easy and the SEC and the other two conferences, I just do not see it. Sure, EIU will have plenty of money, but unless they can find a way to get that money into NIL and start paying players or give out more scholarships, it's not going to matter a whole lot for a majority of the schools.

Those conference schools will have a quicker finger on buying out a coach that is not performing and winning, the secondary sports will get money moved the them so they will improve, but how much more in infrastructure can a school like EIU pump into the football and basketball programs? They have rebuilt basically everything over East over the past 10 years, so unless they plan on ripping down the south endzone and redoing it, how is the money going to improve them that much? And if it is going too, would not the other conference schools also see the same improvement?

As long as Big 12 and ACC schools can keep the money gap halfway close to the other two, I just do not see a huge shift in the balance. More really good teams, also means more really good teams playing each other and racking up losses.
They forget that you only get 85 scholarships.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I wonder just how good of a job the EIU position really is? Granted being in the Big Easy conference they can pay well, but they also have only had 2 football coaches in the last 45 years. Both won enough to keep the fanbase happy, but there is also many that are wanting change. A advantage of the job was being in the Big Easy West division, but that is now gone. Why would a coach like Klieman or Stoops want to go to the B10, when they are calling the shots at the school they are at. No reason KSU cannot be at the top of the B12 most year, and like others have said UK is a basketball school so Stoops is not getting the crap that he would get at many of the other SEC schools, both make great money, why leave.

• Haha
  • Dumb
Reactions: 7Got6 and Gonzo

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Gonzo, in your opinion, just how good of job is it? Level of Penn State, Michigan or more like MSU and Illinois? I never said it was a horrible job, its better than ISU, but their largest advantage is going away, so just how good of a job is it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Gonzo, in your opinion, just how good of job is it? Level of Penn State, Michigan or more like MSU and Illinois? I never said it was a horrible job, its better than ISU, but their largest advantage is going away, so just how good of a job is it.
Obviously it's not a PSU, tOSU, Michigan level gig. But it's an upper-half B1G program that has a whole lot of money, elite facilities and resources, and historically offers ridiculous job security for those who want it. Still, if a young climber were to come in and achieve great success, I have no doubt it would be a stepping stone for them to something bigger/better in the B1G or SEC. But there's no denying it's a pretty plum job that's going to be able to throw a lot of $$$ at any new HC.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Money can’t buy happiness. Or wins on the gridiron. After all, half of the teams will have losing records. Not the best use of money, but hey, live it up.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Because tomorrow is the Hok Homecoming, a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Heartwarming.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron